Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Equipment-independent melee builds

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by FrolfFreak, Apr 8, 2004.

1. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

Equipment-independent melee builds

My first char, an assassin, needed good gear to have good surviveability and kill rate, and i assumed that was the case for all builds, more or less. The fishymancer showed me the joys of playing a character that wasn't equipment dependent ( :thumbsup: Nightfish). It's a pretty laid-back/hands-off build, tho. Is there such a thing as a melee build that's not heavily equipment-dependent? In other words, is there a build that'll let me smack things good and not have to shop/trade/beg excessively? Lately i have the urge to play something that'll let me run around killing and yelling "HULK SMASH!" without having to spend tons of time doing anything else (might have small correlation with upcoming finals period). The Tesladin and Frost Zealot builds look pretty cool, i'm just wondering if there are others.

-FF

2. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

WW Fury Druid. They rock! Except for PIs and those pesky Oblivion Knights.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

4. hermit_boy

hermit_boy IncGamers Member

I would think that a Werewolf could be fairly equipment independant. My first Patriarch was a werewolf that was completely untwinked. He used only what he found, and I did minimal MF runs to get him equipped. Of course that was 1.09, so I don't know how he would fare in 1.10. Maybe other people can expand on that build...

5. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i´d also suggest ww druid

well any druid actually

lots of life / dmg

edit: hermit - well i´d say all mele classes in 1.10 is somewhat itemdependant and ww with it´s high life would be one of the best suited IMO

ofcourse there is always some exceptions and other people may have other thoughts about it :)

6. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Fireclaws bear, frost/holy shock zealot (either one), kick assassin, werewolf - fury

Those are the ones that don't require a good weapon as far as I remember.

7. FrolfFreak

Wow, lots of votes for shifter druids. And one very important vote for Berserker :) I've already perused the Berserker, Tesladin, and Frost Zealot guides several times, but even after looking thru the Druid forum, haven't managed to find a guide as detailed as the previous 3 for a 1.10 fury or fireclaw druid. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to such a guide, or just post a quick recap of what skill pt distribution worked for them (1.10 please; i'm not smart or experienced enough to extrapolate 1.09 stuff to 1.10). Cheers :)

-FF

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Basically it's a build who don't deal majority of their damage as physical, such as firebear, tesladin etc.

P.s. I thought werewolf is quite item dependent, as least it's my experience.

9. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Kicksin has a few important things going for them:
    - Main damage depends only on boot damage and not on mods. Cracked Myrmidon Greaves give the same damage as Shadow Dancer. The top of the line unique boots are somewhat expensive, but a good gambled rare of the right base type works just fine.
    - Fade offers 1% Physical Damage Reduced per skill point (including +skills and prebuffable) and solid resist all. 60% resist all at slvl 15 is nothing to sneeze at for builds that don't have top of the line gear.
    - Venom is very nice poison damage dealer with Dragon Talon while the Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail deals significant fire damage in the splash area.
    - When the dual-claw option is chosen, Claw Block offers incredible defense for about 10 skill points. Claw Block can block an incredible amount of attacks that are otherwise unblockable. If a setup with a shield is chosen, the points to dex aren't wasted since they also increase kick damage (though strength adds alot more).
    - Cloak of Shadow and Mind Blast are 1 point wonders when it comes to crowd control.
    - Shadow Master is an incredible tank at slvl 17+.

10. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

I'm just following Zarhrezz around today agreeing with him...so yeah, kickers are a good choice.

Also, I don't know what kind of Assassin you were playing, but an Elemental 'Sin shouldn't be too gear-dependant. You just need a fast claw or two and +skills and your set. All shoppable stuff. And what he said about CoS+MB, Fade (or BoS), WB, and Shadows all applies here as well.

11. FrolfFreak

The assassin is a dtalon/traps hybrid. Now that i think about it a bit, i guess she could be kind of gear independent. The main thing is that i have a short attention span and so was thinking of trying out a 3rd class besides assassin and necromancer. Thank you for all your input.

-FF

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If you have experience with this build, maybe you can answer/confirm this:

I have an assassin who mainly uses a bow (to help her barbarian merc a little), but when called for, she enters the fray with Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon (at high levels), using the Flail. This weapon has mana steal and a slowing effect.

I noticed that if I do a series of only kicks, the mana orb does not diminish at all, and I have the "steal mana" animation going on. There is no mana steal on any other equipment.
    It also seems like the slowing is working. Are these effects supposed to carry over to Dragon Talon, even though the weapon is not used? I tried equipping her with a sword with lightning damage. Neither the physical nor the lightning damage gets transferred to the kicks (at least that´s what the Lying Character Screen tells me).

If some effects are supposed to carry over, do you know which ones? And what about the other two kicks? (I am in a tournament where level 18+ skills are forbidden, so I can´t test that with this character.)

13. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

I disagree about shock zealots being equipment independent. In fact, I found my shock zealot to be highly equipment dependent. Any melee character has to be able to hit to be effective, so that means needing tons of +AR and/or +DEX gear in the later stages. Then, they need to be able to leech back the damage they take being nose-to-nose with the monsters, so they need lots of LL and a weapon that does at least decent physical damage. Any build that requires quick attacks also needs Cannot Be Frozen, so that means they need Raven Frost or something else with that mod (Fortunately, Rhyme exists and is easy to make, but it sucks to be forced to use a particular shield.). Also needed will be big Defense Rating, +life gear, resistances, usually IAS, and faster hit recovery gear. It's really tough to strike the right balance between all of those if going untwinked.

An untwinked shock zealot can be viable, I'm sure, but I have to believe they're far, far harder to play than other equipment independent melee builds. I think a frost zealot, with the improved survival abilities brought about by chilled monsters, would be much easier untwinked. But, that may just be me. :)

14. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Let me give you this
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=127905

It has all you need to know about kicking A. This is why Fleshripper is a kickers favorite...I start out with Str. claw, and add on from there. I now own uped Gores (self found along with Runes), excep Goblin Toe, Black runeword Devil Star, and almost all the CB armour and Helms.

This CB setup is a boss killer, especially with Myrmidon greaves (buy any pair from Anya or imbue whites like me).