Equation of the Day

iq144

Diabloii.Net Member
if I knew what the paragraph symbol stood for, and whether that i was a variable, an imaginary number, or an accident, I'd be happy to jump into another math thread.
 

tarnok

Diabloii.Net Member
iq144 said:
if I knew what the paragraph symbol stood for, and whether that i was a variable, an imaginary number, or an accident, I'd be happy to jump into another math thread.
Now you're just being mean. The paragraph symbol is the closest thing you can get to Pi in the standard ascii character set.
 

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
tarnok said:
Now you're just being mean. The paragraph symbol is the closest thing you can get to Pi in the standard ascii character set.
That's why they need to allow named entities on these boards! *shake fist* I mean being able to use π would've been much better.

Anyway, is that "i" supposed to be an independent variable, or are you using it in the more traditional sense of the square root of negative one? If the latter, then you equation lacks an independent variable and makes no sense (besides being false).
 

toader

Banned
whats the question here?

or is this just the equation that we are supposed to look at and say "well, ill be" today?

Isnt this just one of those identities that was learned in Calculus 1? There are lots of them involving Sin, Cos, e, i, and 0,1.
 

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
Underseer, yes it is being used as i = sqroot(-1).

The equation is one of the most famous in Mathematics, known generally as Eulers equation (though there are a number of 'Euler's Equations' in actual fact). It is famous as it bring together the five most fundamental numbers in maths: e, i, pi 1 and 0, into an analytical identity.

'Tis quite useful also.
 

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
whats the question here?

or is this just the equation that we are supposed to look at and say "well, ill be" today?

Isnt this just one of those identities that was learned in Calculus 1? There are lots of them involving Sin, Cos, e, i, and 0,1.
It's either a false statement, or a simple exponential curve.
 

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
The beauty of the equation is that it combines so many constants, e, i, pi, and the two most basic numbers, 0, and 1, and in a very nice little package.
 
Top