Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Epic story #101: ISP issues...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Furyan, May 13, 2008.

1. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Epic story #101: ISP issues...

Heck, finally, after over 2.5 months of trouble, I can access this site again! How come, you ask me? Well, that's a strange story... And yes, it's a long one, but it's an abnormal one as well. Take a drink and start enjoying a 3rd grade drama show...

One evening in February, I couldn't connect to dii.net anymore, but was like heck, it'll be down or something, until I found out I was like the only person at all not being able to connect. After an epic search of 3 days, and after trying everything on my disposal (router settings, firewall, configs, etc etc), there was only one option left... The problem was at my ISP itself.

Call #1
    So I call my ISP, and after 35 minutes of elevator music, I get a guy on the phone. I explain the situation, he tries to connect to dii.net, and gets the same problem, after which it was clear that it was my ISP itself that screwed it somehow. After some research, it seemed that they somehow managed to block the IP range dii.net is in. So, mission to be completed: re-enable the IP-range. The guy promised me that it would be solved in max one week time, he'd make a report about it, and send it to his official. And that's when the trouble began...

Call #2
    2 weeks later: nothing had changed. Recalled my ISP, and this time after only 45 minutes of elevator music, I got another guy on the phone. Result: nothing had happened, no report made, completely forgotten/not willing to do anything about it, heck if I know. The guy excused himself in the name of the company, said he'd make a report, and that it would once again be solved ASAP.

Call #3
    Again 2 weeks later, still the same issue. Recalled them once again, and guess what? Indeed, no report made, nothing, nada, they simply didn't do anything. For the 3rd time they promised me that it would be solved soon, but this time I wouldn't allow myself to be satisfied, and pushed a bit on the guy, at which he excused himself for the trouble and so on. That should've done the trick, I thought by myself, but Murphy's law has always loved me.

Call #4
    3 weeks later. Nothing. At this point, I'm getting rather frustrated. How hard can it be to simply add an IP range to the allowed websites? In the meantime, I had had no choice but to trade on battlenet, and for god's sake, I was getting sick of being bombarded back to prehistoric times again. I call them again, elevator music as ever, just to hear something different than last time! Guess what: the reason they didn't solve it was because it was just me who had called for the problem, but it wasn't confirmed by a 2nd person. Heck, if I call the fire-brigade to report that my house is on fire, they don't ask for my neighbour to confirm that before coming either right!?

But heck, there was a second person who had called to report the problem, and now the man on the phone truly made up a report to get it fixed. 2 weeks max, he said. "Right", I thought, rather agitated, but heck, it was about to be solved.

Call #5
    Again 3 weeks later (note that we are at 2 months and 2 weeks now, a skyhigh phone bill and a grand total of over 2 hours of Mozart's technomix) the problem was still not solved (duh), so I called once again, and this time the excuse beat all others... They "lost" my report somehow, and were waiting for me to recall and confirm once again... At this point I lost my patience, which doesn't happen to me very often, but hell, who was I dealing with here? A major internet service provider or a bunch of kids playing around with wires? I boldly told him to get it fixed, or we'd simply change ISP (not just because of dii.net, but also because we've had a lot of trouble with them before). This made something snap at the other side of the phone I guess, since he got my details faster than you can say "you just got owned". And guess what? Today, 2 weeks later, the problem is fixed. I hope they don't expect a bunch of flowers for their hard work.

So now, was that really that hard to do? Guess administration isn't their top skill...

Heck, it feels good to be back! :grin:

Thanks for your time to read this :wink3:

2. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

Re: Epic story #101: ISP issues...

Welcome back! :flowers:

I've missed you.

3. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Thanks for the welcoming back, I missed you as well :cloud9: :flowers:

4. MagpieLee

MagpieLee IncGamers Member

YOU SUCK!

But welcome back and hope to trade gosizi gozi stuff with you soon :)

mwahaha

5. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Where have you been, you ISP nubzor? You can't even log onto the forums?

6. jallelime

jallelime IncGamers Member

Dude, seriously.. Command your isp before your isp commands you!

Welcome back anyways mate.

7. DaCerZ

DaCerZ IncGamers Member

Back 2 minutes and already spamming your way through the forums =P

Welcome back =D

Now head to detox to get that b.net trader stink off you =P

-Dace-

8. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Hehe, will do m8 :grin:

Hehe, I love you too CC :p

Yeah well, lesson learned I would say, this won't happen twice to me. But yeah, if you ask for a simple undoing of matters, you don't expect stuff like that to happen right?

Hehe, well, about that back to bnet trading, I can write an entire book. Nn, gg, gozu, n4p, l33t,... Nothing has changed it appears. Another nice add is that I've been through a grand total of 14 scam attemts :grin: Luckily I didn't buy any of them.

And yeah, spamming as ever of course :grin:

9. Bioburg

Bioburg IncGamers Member

Welcome back m8 :wink3:

I was wondering where you went after your PM 3 months ago :smiley:

cu soon again

cheers

bio

10. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

So .. erm. You've had connection issues?

:hide:

11. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Yeah, there don't seem to be running any ferries anymore between England and Ireland. A real pain in the behind you see.

12. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I am most impressed (with your patience). I would have told them I would change ISP on the second week, and hint to them that I am going to let everyone know about the crappiness of their tech support.

13. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

dude you really got to learn to talk to these kind of people. there was no excuse what so ever for this taking so long. although i find it hilarious they were waiting for you to call them back to confirm, as if they didnt have your phone number.

considering you had problems before i would of told the guy after the first few weeks to either fix it now or you'll take your money to a new isp. $$ is what makes these people listen, nothing else.

14. Opeeq

Opeeq IncGamers Member

The ISP you use will end up using you! Or whatever ^^ Wb

15. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Fury!!!

*glomps*

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Welcome back!

16. prion

prion IncGamers Member

frustrating phone company policies is one reason why i quit phone tech support :jig:

:soapbox:
    and what's the result?

unfortunately it means people who are interested in GETTING THINGS DONE leave the organization and all that remains are those satisfied with mediocrity and a certain percentage of unhappy customers.

(btw when someone says they are going to take their money elsewhere we were trained to say "I'm sorry you feel that way")

17. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

How about people who threatens to have it posted on the news? Some of the Chinese newspapers like the extra publicity caused by these events. (ie. it's not quite an idle threat)

Wait, I think I already know the answer: Let me call my manager. (which IIRC is the thing that they always use when they are not able to handle the situation, regradless of reason, which in most of the time is sheer incompetence)

18. prion

prion IncGamers Member

a bad tech support experience? Thats not really news :undecided:

where I worked we had two tiers of tech support, I was the lowest, so it would likely escalate up to the higher level before someone threatened to call the news. I wasn't told how to handle it and didn't encounter that situation.

19. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

Furyan!

/hug

20. EpicDevia

EpicDevia IncGamers Member

thats truly epic story :grin:
    welcome back mate :thumbsup: