Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enter SigonsDisciple

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gargame, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

Enter SigonsDisciple

After contemplating deleting all of my old stuff from when I used to play, I found that I had a full Sigon's Complete Steel in HC. It was always one of my favorite sets, not really knowing why. I had also always wanted to make a character built for the set. When 1.10 came out, I got excited that you could upgrade items. Then, of course, I find out you can't upgrade sets, only uniques. After being overcome with sadness, I had a crazy idea. I decided I'd make the character anyway, and see how far I can get. You hear of characters with low damage making it through, but not characters with low defense. Since he will be a barb, I will probably go with an iron build. And, to keep it completely fair, he won't be twinked except for the Sigon's. So, with these thoughts in mind: Enter SigonsDisciple. I'll keep a daily post if anyone is interested. Maybe I'll keep one anyways. HA! Right, anyways, I'm going to go get him started right now. Wish me luck!

2. Krikke

Krikke IncGamers Member

Good luck in your endeavours, you are one crazy guy :D

3. ChaoticTwitch

ChaoticTwitch IncGamers Member

aahhhh, the concept set builds. lovely idea they are. never really got down and made one yet though. i was thinking of making an orphan, or a natalya. good luck on your jouney, should prove rather chalanging further on in the game. but hey, challanges are good...

cheers, C.T.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Assuming you make a Guardian out of this guy, what are you looking to end up with in the jewelry/weapon/socketing department? Long ago, pre-LOD, I had a Sigon's shield s/Pdiamond that was one of my favorite items. That, the helmet, and the armor give you some spots to add resists or damage . . .

Good luck!

5. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Idealy, PD in shield, 15% resist/ED jewel in armor and helmet. given the "impossible" chance to find 2x 15% res/ED jewel, I guess he will end with PD in shield, some other resist on armor and helmet, and a big one hand weapon, using concentrate (the ideal skill) or WW (if have a good weapon).

It is not low defense makes the game harder, most builds don't have high defense anyway, it is how to find all those resistant in hell makes it harder.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Noob don't you know that IK set is the new Sigons:) seriously good luck you're probably going to need it.

7. corax

corax IncGamers Member

best of luck to thee o' valiant warrior.

your res is going to suck. tehehe :D

8. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

i am making a wolfbarb.
    he is using full sigons, until he can equip his helm, and is at the start of act5 nm.
    he started with a blood crescent and is now using a bloodletter. he cant kill very fast in more than players3 but he hasnt died yet.
    his resistances are good except for poison. with his defiance merc and shout his def is 4k.
    you will make it to the end of nm no problem...
    ---
    i am also making a polearm barb. he is using warcry and stun. wearing full hwanin's and travelling with an act3 cold merc.

good luck. dune

9. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I bet you can finish NM in full sigons. It's going to be tough going in Act V, and you might have trouble in Act IV, but I think you'll make it. Even on /players 1 Hell's going to be really tough on a melee character without resists.

10. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

You can always make the low defense stand out even more and go the Berserker route. This negates the need for several normally useful things, such as defense and life/mana leech. Just keep well stocked on potions(Find Potion), use your crowd control skills (Grim Ward, Taunt, Howl, War Cry), and keep your resists up (Natural Resist) and you'll be fine.

11. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

One thing I'll definintely suggest is getting max-level of war cry. Also be sure to use Howl/Taunt to the best of their usefullness and you'll be set. Your resists will be low in Hell, but with careful playing, you should be good to go. I predict that your jewelry choices will be key. Good luck finding a Mara's!

12. Bazhell

Bazhell IncGamers Member

One possible weapon that can help you get through NM is Shureshrill Frost. It's a decent mace with cold damage and for those bosses that give you trouble the level 9 frozen orb comes in handy.

13. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

Thank for the input everyone. I have a feeling I'm gonna need all the advice I can get. I figured I was gonna need Natural Resist, and try to get my hands on some nice resist charms and rings and ammy. Yes, I probably will go with a PDiamond for my shield, and probably my other equip also. I was thinking concentrate for my skill of choice, for the added defense.

I made a lot of progress last night. At least, I think so. I got him all the way to the catacombs, and was going to keep going, but I accidently saved and exited, so I figured I would let it go for the night. My merc has died twice now, and I've almost died twice. The tainted seem to give me problems in there, but then I realized I hadn't really put my stat and skill points in anything, except to wear sigons, and to wield a Two Handed Sword. Unless you have +strength rings or charms, you have to be at least level 8 to wear a full sigons if you start as a barb. I leveled in the middle of the Den, and was finally able to put the smackdown (corniest thing I could think of) on everything. I like my merc right now, but I'm thinking I'll get a prayer merc when I beat Andariel. My stash is already full with rejuv potions and chips, and 1 rune. I need to get my cube NOW. Maybe I shouldn't hang on to all of that, but what else is going to fill up my stash for the time being? I actually intened to put my skill points into stuff when I start again today, and at least a couple of my stats into vitality. I hope to get a lot of playing time in today, but we'll see.

14. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

One extra bit of advice for you: don't use 2-handed weapons with 1-hand. You'll actually get better damage and (generally) a faster attack rate by using 1-handed weapons. This will pretty significantly increase your damage output over time.

Good luck!

15. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

The adventures of SigonsDisciple continued yesterday. I would've gotten more time in on him, but there was a spur-of-the-moment Halo party, and I'm a regular for those, so I'm obligated to go. I got him through andy and duriel, and was contemplating starting act 3, but I was tired, and the beginning of acts tend to be hard, so I went to bed instead. I got myself a prayer merc, and I like hows he's performing. I found the unique spear, and gave it to my merc, with it's %100 damage against undead, I figured it was a good choice for the act. I would go around and kill the unravelers, and my merc would lay waste to all the skeletons. I've found that I like leap attack for getting around, but of course, I always did. I'll leap out of being surrounded and let my merc handle it, and I'll take down the ranged attacked monsters. I haven't really decided what I want to do with my primary weapon yet, but I've been leaning towards maces and flails. I figure if I can ever find a Baraner's Star, the elemental damage would be nice. I don't quite know yet though. If anyone has any sugestions for what weapon to use, I'd love to hear it. I don't quite know how to work Flavie, but I'll work on it. I have a rare flail with 40 ED, some other mods, and 5% chance to cast amplify damage. It's been working nicely so far. Anyhow, I'm gonna look up on flavie, and then I'm gonna work on sigons some more.

16. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

SigonsDisciple is further yet, defeating mephy and the Big D. It took me forever to get through the chaos sanctuary, but I refused to stop, and kept hacking through to the end. My merc didn't stand much chance against him, but I was rarely getting damaged. Something I've noticed that I really need, Mana leech. I've been thinking about ditching a decent weapon just to get one with mana leech. I'm looking forward to act 5, because it was always my favorite. I'm almost to a pdiamond, so I'm thinking of throwing that into my shield after I kill Shenk. I still don't know what kind of weapon I should go with, but I haven't found anything better than my rare flail.

Dread Song
    Flail
    One-Handed Damage: 1 to 33
    Durability: 30 of 30
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Required Strength: 41
    Required Level: 3
    Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 19
    Fingerprint: 0xcd5de53b
    +40% Enhanced Damage
    +13 to Attack Rating
    Fire Resist +9%
    Adds 1-5 fire damage
    Adds 1-8 lightning damage
    150% Damage to Undead
    5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

I plan on getting him through Baal today, and maybe even andy in nm. The chaos santuary was the only real life and death situations I've had now, so I'm bound to run into more now. Wish me continuing luck!

17. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

Well I didn't nearly far as I planned. My brother and I play on the realms during the weekend, and it's the only time I can hang out with him, so I spent most of the day on the realms. When I did get started on SigonsDisciple, I got him to the Worldstone chamber. He's gained so many levels along the way, it was crazy. I jumped from 32 to 42. Along the way, I found the unique Halberd for my merc, and we're both lovin it. I finally found a mana leech ring, and in fact, right after I found the first one, a 2nd dropped. I kept it for crafting later on. I also decided to go with mace mastery finally, so I threw a bunch of skills into that. Now that I have concentrate in my left-click slot, things are dieing faster, but my weapon likes to break on me....a lot. It broke on Nihlathek(sp?), and I was surprised it didn't break on the ancients, who took forever, cause I couldn't lay a hit on the 2 melee, and they have so much life. When they finally went down, I noticed it wasn;t actually 3, but that it was 4 in the morning, thanks to spring ahead, so my plans of Baal's death were held of till today. Baa WILL die today, so we'll see how far I can get into NM. Wish me continued luck!

18. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

Good luck with that :)

I'd seriously reconsider going the ironbarb route though - as others have mentioned, you just don't get enough defense with that armour.
    You're going to get hit anyway, so rather than throwing all those points into ironskin/shout/concentrate, why not invest in warcries a bit more?

If I were to make a barb using Sig's set I'd probably go Berserker - like I said, you'll get hit anyway, even if you do max all the ironbarb skills. Better to max War Cry to stun enemies so you won't get hit, then lay into them with berserk.

Berserk also = laughing at OK's as they spam IM at you ;)

my $0.02 B)

19. Gargame

Gargame IncGamers Member

I thought about that too, but since I've already put so many points into concentrate, I'll probably stay on this route. I'm sure I'll die along the way, so when it's my 2nd time around, I'll give a berserker a look through. I've been doing fine so far, but it looks like NM isn't being to nice to me. It takes way too long to kill things, and I have to wear both of my leech rings to get enough mana. I need a new weapon, but I haven't found anything better yet.

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that going zerk is extremly dangerous, not because you are going to get hit anyway, but zerk goes very badly with shield, unless you have a very fast block rate, which you don't. Concentrate is good because it is not interruptible, therefore, you block without block animation, and your attack still count! It is attack + block at once. You will need one point in zerk anyway, so you can always laugh at OKs.