Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enlighten Me (Cricket)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Mar 13, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Enlighten Me (Cricket)

So...tell me what you know about the sport, cricket. I know the equipment and that matches can last for seemingly forever. Educate me from there, please. Curiousity has just stuck.

2. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Cricket is a lot like baseball, man hit ball with stick and runs. Hope this helped.

3. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

You come to a bunch of rubes like us for cricket info? You know someones going to google it and sound like they are edjucated on the subject.

Heres what i know with out my freind google.

Hit a ball into a ring or something like that. Sorry.

4. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

two sided pitch field type thingy, one side has a runner + bowler, other side has batter.
    Bowler runs upto the wicket on his side and throws ball in stupid fashion at the batter.
    If batter hits the ball, both him and runner switch sides (called a run) as many times as they can before a fielder (or wicket keeper) throws the ball at a wicket (like baseball).
    If Batter hits the ball into the crowd (without any bounces) it's called a "6", meaning the batter scored 6 runs. If the ball bounces before getting to the crowd, it's a "4".
    If batter misses and ball hits wicket, they're out, and a new batter replaces him.
    Team with most runs wins

That's the basics. There's more rules for all the specifics, that I don't really know. I hate the sport, most boring sport in the world.
    unfortunately it's the only thing Australia's good at, so the whole country treats it as religion.

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I heard that the team that loses is executed and their severed heads are used as balls

6. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Correct.

The reason games can last "forever" is because everyone (everyone - 1 actually, since there needs to be always two batters on the pitch) on the batting team must get out before the other team gets to bat. So, if you have a crappy bowling team versus a rock solid batting team, the game can last for a very long time.

7. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Umm, ever heard of rugby?

8. Silvermyst

Yeah I was debating mentioning it, but after all, it is a cricket thread. Plus, we're the only country (basically) that plays rugby, so we have less reason to brag about being good at it.

I hate rugby to. I'm lucky, I get to hate a major sport every season!

9. Ash Housewares

I just get March

*shakes fist at basketball*

10. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

I don't mean to keep picking on you, I swear. ;) But seeing as how the Rugby World Cup was just played last year, it was obvious that many countries play rugby. 20 countries competed in the RWC in 2003. Granted, many of them sucked compared to the elite. England got first place, Australia second, New Zealand third, and France fourth. Before the cup started, Australia was world ranked #3 behind England and New Zealand. Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and South Africa each only had 1 loss in pool play during the Cup. So there are many countries that play rugby. Australia just happens to be one of the best.

That's Rugby Union, but if you're talking about Rugby League, then yeah, Australia is the only country to play that. But they're basically the same game, and I meant the version that the whole world plays.

11. Silvermyst

Well there you go, I didn't even know that. League was what I was thinking of, but I know nothing about that sport other then I don't like it :lol:

12. fnarkl2

fnarkl2 Banned

The basics??? You couldn't be further from the truth.

Do you actually know what cricket is???

A runner and a bowler???? A batter???

Seriously, this explanation is ludicrous to say the least.
    And to say that this is 'the only thing Australia is good at'
    really shows just how ignorant you are.

If you really want to get an idea of what cricket is and how
    it's played then just go
    here .

Hopefully that may enlighten you a bit more.

13. Silvermyst

Dude, wtf?
    From what I gather of your disjointed, blatent flame, I might not have come across clearly.
    By which i meant, in the middle of the field, there is a rectangular pitch. On one side of the pitch, there is a bowler and a batsman (who isn't currently batting, hence running). On the other side, there is the batsman who is currently about to hit the ball (plus a wicket keeper, but I felt I didn't really need to go into specifics unless asked).

Calm down cranky pants, I am australian, I have played cricket, I know generally the rules of cricket, I hate cricket, and also happen to hate the majority of australia. Sorry if this offends you, but I'm not going to apologise for it. Obviously it's not the one and only true thing that Australia is good at, but the general population (not a statistic) can't get enough of gloating about how good australia is at cricket.

Sorry, were my terms incorrect? I'm sure a brief look at that site you linked to would show you that those are indeed the names of those players, with the exception of 'runner', which I used to limit complications of calling it a second batter.
    Also, I could also very well have posted a link detailing all the intricacies of cricket, but like cyclotronic, I chose to just say the first rules that came to my head.

Seriously, chill out.

14. Silvermyst

Lousy editing timer :grrr:
    Ok, whoever spots my glaring contradiction gets a cookie and a keg of beer. :drink:

15. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

I can't count the number of times people have tried to explain Cricket to me since I've been over here :uhhuh:

From what I understand, a little man throws a ball at this other little man, if he misses and hits the stick thingies, that's good. But I don't know who for. And if the little batter man hits the ball, he runs, but I don't know where, not too far though, something like back and forth.

Oh, and you have to wear alot of white, and sunblock, that's to look the part ;)

Obviously no matter how many times explained to me, I didn't quite get it :lol:

16. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

It's like baseball only instead of only four bases there are two, everyone wears really stupid hats, and it's possibly the only sport were the professional athletes are often fat (ignoring sumo wrestling were they should be fat).

17. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

:lol:

Of course, it would be more funny if it wasn't more BS than not. But hey, who's counting?

18. Ash Housewares

did he just say its like baseball only fatter, like theres no fat baseball players

Ruth
    Kruk
    Fielder

just to start things off

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

As one of the approximately 15 Yanks who understands and enjoys Cricket, I feel that most of y'all need to shut your gobs. OK, test matches are a total snoozer, but Cricket is about the fifth coolest sport of all time.

If any of you listened to the World Cup last year, you'd realized that cricket is actually pretty cool.

I'm not British, I still hate tea, Manchester, and the British occupation of Ulster. Erin go Bragh!

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, Silvermyst, apart from the fact that Cricket is played on an oval pitch, you did fine. I'll take VB as the keg. What makes it worse, is that I'm an American :lol:

Cricket is a great sport. Test Cricket is the zzzz, but if you enjoy American baseball, you'll like Cricket. Imagine, drinking for the entire day. Lousy British. I blame Manchester; so much to answer for.