Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enigma setups for necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by labyrinth, Mar 20, 2004.

1. labyrinth

labyrinth IncGamers Member

Enigma setups for necro

After an arduous saga spanning several months in which I had my first soj drop and did 100s of countess runs, only to find that 6 hell hellforges yielded better, after many hours of runs even less interesting to talk about, after hours of staring mindlessly at lines of ridiculous or unatainable trade offers, I finally built my first enigma. I've always played legit (apart from twinking and a rush here and there), so I was never one of the 'uber-players' with white gloves, rings, and whatever that hacked bow was. But now I have a good deal of wealth from pit runs etc., and I am excited to be able to make many different builds with various characters, best of all my original favorite the necro. But all of this is not what I want to talk about, just saying this in case anyone else out there is discouraged. My word to such people is to quit your job, play D2 15 hours a day, dream about finding the jah and ber that it seems traders have 50 of, then you too can be rich. Heh, and I'm still a little fish, but a happy little fish in my single-player fishbowl.

My real question is more an invitation to discussion on what builds necros, especially summon necros (though others are cool too) have done to take advantage of enigma. I had been using the full trangs set (another long story), and enjoyed it immensely. I never had any problems in solo or 8-player anywhere I went. Then last night when I switched out into my enigma and some mf gear, I was aghast when I teleported into the trav council and died immediately to a fanatacized mana burn brick wall. A few other reckless deaths made me realize that enigma has its limitations, and that at least for the equipment I have, trang's is safer and more powerful.

So here's what I'm going to experiment with. My sorc has a full set of mf and a full set of power gear. With the power gear, she can do well in all acts of hell single, and contribute to an 8-player party. With the mf gear (~500) she can easily manage single pits, countess, andy, summoner, duriel, and up through meph. Act 4 and on I have to swap out some mf for power gear to live. I'd like to do something very similar with my necro--have as much mf as possible while using enigma especially for 8-player pits and other 8-player possible mf areas. Then I'd like to have a set of power gear that I can mix or use fully for a significant boost in killing speed. Also, I'm not going for block, though if someone's found high block to be crtical that would be interesting to know, too.

Here are the things I see as important for the power set in tentative order of importance:
    - resistances/absorb
    - +skills
    - damage reduce
    - defence
    - cast rate (for tele)
    - fast hit recov (in case I tele into group of monsters)

I'm using homunculus and carin shard (I don't have everything yet!), the other slots are in flux. Some things I've noticed so far about enigma:

- Enigma does not in itself make you invincible! Duh! What was I thinking teleporting into that group of fantacized monsters? I had thought that when I teleported, my 40 minions would close me like a baby armadillo in its mother's womb. Nope!
    -The minions need a little space to fan out, so it's got to tele half a screen away, or whatever is needed for the minions to fan out before the enemies engage you.
    - As hoped, Enigma DOES help a lot for ensuring that your revives and other minions don't permanently disappear when you're trying to move through a lvl quickly. It is ideal for gathering them.
    - The necro looks like a wife-beater in a white t-shirt wearing dusk shroud.

I want to hear YOUR experiences, especially detailed experiences, fun things to do, caveats, etc. when using Enigma. I DON'T want to hear, "Oh, I threw on the enigma and killed baal 10 times in 3 seconds." I want to know gear, strategies etc, not bragging. Thanks!

2. Pallidum

Pallidum IncGamers Member

I currently have enigma on my summoner and I think it beats trangs flat out. The biggest advantage, of course, is the teleport. You set the tempo of the fight if you can dodge in and out of battles quickly. This doesn't mean you should teleport everywhere, as you found out. Mana burn has become one of my most hated attributs a monster can spawn. Thank god that mana burn, cursed, extra fast moon lords dont spawn too often.

One more thing I would like to add is that defense should be on the bottom of the list, as it doesnt really matter cause it sounds like you have 30 minions at all times.

3. malathion

malathion IncGamers Member

I agree with above. Once you get used to controlling your minions with teleport there will be no going back- not to mention all the other awesome bonuses enigma gives.

But hey, if you don't want it, you wouldn't happen to be west scl would you? I'll take it off your hands.

4. zzLen_Mastazz

zzLen_Mastazz Banned

As you pointed out enigma does not make you invincible. However, it does afford you MUCH greater control over your minions. I have also learned to park my minions in a space adjacent to the target monsters and "unpack" my minions by walking away from them slightly. If you stay in one place they tend to cling around you. Now for boss's i simply tele directly on top of the boss and walk out, and then simply add amp and whala Dead. This keeps the boss (mostly use on baal/diablo/and meph) in a almost frozen state. Like he doesnt have the hit recovery to regain his balance.

5. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Teleport

I use the extremely poor man's Enigma - Gnarled Staff of Teleportation on switch. Since the game remembers your last used right click skill on switch, it's almost like having 33 Teleports at my disposal. The only hiccup is switching back and forth, but I'm used to it now and it flows naturally. Each charge costs about 1.5K but I'm am very happy to feed my Necro's Teleport costs.

Incidentally, I HAVE teleported into a Mana Burn boss pack, but I was able to Teleport out because I'm using Staff charges, not mana. :D

I'm never building a summoner without some form of Teleport. I think I can kill at least twice as fast, and the Arcane Santuary and Maggot Lair are half as painful. I hate Act 2 in general; Act 3 is much more fun with all the corpses Flayers leave on the ground.

If you Teleport into a monster pack, all the monsters hit you and none of your 30 sum odd minions. I Teleport 1 step away. When I step back, my minions step forward, and all is right with the slaying.

Another trick I like is Teleporting to the corner of the room (say Claw Viper Temple). My minions then spread out to fight in a semi-circle, and we make our way to the far corner. Sometimes it's slower and safest to fight in the doorway, and the CE's are great there, but it's nice to change it up.

I especially like my Revives to be spellcasters like the Vampires or Cantors. Isn't it much cooler to rain Metoers, Firewalls, and Blizzards on your enemies as well as everything else the Necro can do?

I also have to use ALL 16 of my hotkeys. The only character class that even comes close to that is my midlevel Martial Arts Assassin.

6. labyrinth

labyrinth IncGamers Member

Hey guess what? I am scl West! But I think I'll be hanging on to the enig for a while :lol: Anyway, the walkaway tip's useful, but I'd still like some more feedback on equipment...

7. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member