Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enhanced Defense

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Mulhallah, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mulhallah

Mulhallah Diabloii.Net Member

Enhanced Defense

Greetings -

What's the difference between, say, armor with 100 raw/base defense (displays 100 defense in white) and armor with 100 total defense that has, say, 40 enhanced defense that displays 100 defense (in blue)? I thought there might be a difference when creating a runeword, but there wasn't any increase in defense when I made two Stealths, one with (a Superior Light Plate) and one without Enhanced Defense (a "regular" Light Plate.) Any help appreciated. Thank you!

2. humblegar

humblegar Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Enhanced Defense

The stealth runeword does not add any more defense, no matter what base item it is made in. That being said, light plate is a nice base item for stealth.

But if your superior light plate has enhanced defense, it has always had more defense than your "normal" light plate, the stealth runeword just didn't add more, just take a look at the defense rating.

Runewords that do add more defense, like stone, duress and fortitude will benefit even more from enhanced defense items.

3. Mulhallah

Thanks for the quick reply, humblegar. I see that there is no added defense with Stealth. I hadn't realized that the runeword attributes would be "boosted" by any Enhanced attribute of the base piece. That's good to know. Could you describe how that works? For example, Stone will add between 250-290% ED. If the base piece has, say, 100% ED, does that mean Stone will have between 350-390% ED?

I guess my original question is a little more general and not limited to what happens making a Stealth - I was just using that for an example - so let me try and ask it a different way.

If two pieces of gear that are similar but not identical, have the same defense rating - in white or in blue - is there any reason to use one over the other (outside of possibly using it for a runeword that *does* take advantage of any Enhanced Defense or Durability, or Damage, or whatever?) I mean, 100 Defense is 100 Defense, right? The fact that some of those points come from an Enhanced Defense "addition" doesn't mean anything, does it?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

4. Are

Are Diabloii.Net Member

This is correct. 100 Defense is 100 Defense. The fact that one item has some amount of %enhanced defense only means its base defense was lower.

It doesn't matter which one you use for runewords either, as long as you make sure to only make runewords in grey items (runewords don't work in magical, rare, set, unique or crafted items).

5. Mulhallah

Ok, Are. Thanks for the reply. I'm on board with "runewords in gray only." Learned that the hard way. <g>