Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Energy vs Ballistic Weapons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bladesyz, Sep 6, 2006.

1. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

Energy vs Ballistic Weapons

So I was watching Stargate just now, and there was this scene where the marines are in a firefight with Jaffas. The marines were using M16s and P90s, while the Jaffas are shooting with their staves and some kind of energy cannon.

It got me thinking, those energy weapons look pretty crappy. I mean, they've got a poor fire rate, and they don't seem to be able to penetrate rocks, which the marines were using for cover. That energy turret cannon seemed a pretty pale imitation of a machine gun turret. A machine gun could mow down dozens of people effortlessly. That energy turret can barely fire a couple of shots in a strafe.

It's like this in star wars and star trek too. Star wars blasters seem to have a slower firing rate than a handgun, and star trek phasers (aside from being able to stun) seem to be a pretty poor replacement of SMGs, where one shot takes a whole second and hits only one small point.

So what's the point of having energy weapons? Why would blasters be so much better than an assault rifle that can fire 600 rounds a minute?

2. CandidusMortis

CandidusMortis Banned

From what I remember about the show, the energy gun thingies seemed to do much more damage to a human, i.e. one hit knocks the person down and they're out for the count. Bullets seem to do less harm to the baddies.

3. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

i like the beams they used to use in star trek, i always thought how it was possible to keep your hand unnaturaly still like that, and then i always wonderd, if they just wiggled that lazer beam around, people would die more : /

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It's a movie thing. A real futuristic energy weapon would blast through pretty much anything and would kill you before you had time to dodge. Ezypwnage.

5. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

They use them because ballistic weapons look antiquated and out of place in sci-fi movies. I couldn't get over how crappy and weak the guns in Starship Troopers were.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Semi-energy weapons are the way to go. Your ammo is a hunk of lead which you peel chunks off of and put into a matter-to-energy converter (with high efficiency, this is the future of course) and then it spits them out rather like a bullet but in a cloud of plasma and at extremely high velocities. You're carrying enough ammo to keep firing for days in one clip.

7. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

hehe someone plays a little eve?

8. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

i couldn't believe the difference between the infatry rifle and the airmen rifle (500 bullets for the infantry, 5 for the airmen)

gotta le tthe bugs have some sort of way to attack us, in reality we'd be using giant miniguns and much mroe powerful weapons that those peashooters

but on topic...because laser weapons are more environmentally friendly, and with more (or infinite) ammo (like in 007 Goldeneye on N64). And besides, some static laser like a lightsaber would own (assuming the damn thing could be a steady stream from the gun)

9. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

ive said it before and ill say it again, you get a team of jedi to play in major league baseball and they would never lose, its true!

oh and on another note.... 5000 rounds per minuite from a 20 barrel futuristic magnetically propelled ballistic vulcan cannon would make quick work of any, jedi

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Dude, we can do 240,000 explosive grenade rounds right now.

http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=news&prid=74&category=Latest Video & Live Firings

11. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

You know, ballistic weapons already do that. :)

The only use I can see with energy weapons is if we ever had to fight robots. I imagine those things would be like walking tanks, and pretty difficult to beat with ballistics.

True, energy weapons are also lighter, and soldiers don't have to carry as much ammunition. Still, on the field, I would imagine that it's the killing power that counts above all else.

12. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, but they're slower and not as hot. You could get an energy weapon to fire at relativistic speeds. Of course, there isn't much point using weapons like that against infantry, you're right. Except that they're more cost and ammo-effective maybe.

I was thinking tanks. Mechas are just a dream of Japanese animators, they're useless on a battlefield.

It's kind of hard to imagine what future warfare is going to be like, we haven't had a serious war since WWII.

14. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

if there is ever a future world war all it takes is one crazy nutjob to press a big button with nuke on it to erase our future

15. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Not if they use the Force to crush the gun.

EDIT: Ooh! Ooh! What if they use the Force to stop the barrel from spinning and then the whole thing blows itself sky high? Now that's style. :thumbsup:

I HATE YOU! I ****in' HATE YOU! *runs upstairs, crying like a little girl and slams his bedroom door again*

16. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Yeah I never figured out why they didn't use the Force more?

If Darth Vader already had the crush-throat technic available when killing Padme, why didn't he simply use it on ObiWan? He would've won without much effort?

If the Sith were really that aggressive and all, why not simply do a quick eradication with their lightning attack of all rebels?

The same with movies where the good or bad guys have plenty of time to kill someone with a gun, instead they just threaten, and bind the other party in a car which gets thrown in the water, etc etc...

If I were a bad guy, I'd just shoot the good guy in the heart, then stick a grenade in his mouth and watch him explode, NOW he can't take revenge anymore :rolleyes:

17. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

The crushing throat technique is "the oldest trick in the book" and EASILY blocked by a trained Jedi. See Dark Horse's Dark Empire (or was it DE2?).

My guess is - because I'm not sure which rebels you're talking about - that the only effectively used Sith in 4,5, and 6 was Darth Vader and I'm sure he'd of gladly done so, but he'd have to find them first.

You're preaching to the choir, fella.

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

We just watched it yesterday. I was thinking the same thing.

And what's deal with his hand-held brain scrambler anyway? Wouldn't it be eaiser to use, well, just about anything else?

19. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

It was said during the show that the Jaffa staff weapons were a weapon of terror (and a tradition in Jaffa society), whereas the Terran p90 was a weapon of war. The Zat'nikatel hand weapon is handy as a stun-gun (one stuns, two kills, three vapourises), which explains why that is in use. Also easy to reproduce projectile weapons are counter-productive for oppressing a population even with a general low level of technology as they take virtually no training to use and are a great equaliser. Restricting weapons to impressive-looking energy weapons which cannot be reproduced by the population at large goes some way to countering potential insurgency.

Of course, all that goes to hell in a handbasket when the general population reaches a certain level of tech, which is tough to stop unless you are happy with the odd purge now and then.

20. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I dunno. In the movie, they learned how to use those staves pretty quick. The colonel had never used one before, but he hit the guard next to him, grabbed his staff, and used it to blow away another guard in a second or two.