Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

energy shield

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Superhal, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

energy shield

having finally had a chance to test it, i believe that energy shield is detrimental to sorcs in hell.

as most people already know, es has been changed in .10 to ignore player's resistance, and take the full damage from mana. i haven't seen it directly myself, but i have been in countless baalrun games where "some_sorc was killed by black soul." this led me to believe that energy shield was the culprit.

what i figure is that the sorc meets a gloam, is hit by a bolt, has all their mana sucked from them in 1, and then can't teleport away. the next bolt kills them. or, the bolt does so much damage that it immediately shuts off es by making mana 0, and still has enough damage left in the same bolt to kill the sorc.

i am trying to get exact numbers from the stats forum, but so far still no answers.

using an 85 resistance sorc with tgods and no es, i am able to take managable damage from even gloam bosspacks. my barb under the same circumstances takes almost nothing.

i would like to hear from es users:

1. what happens when you meet a worldstone gloam?

2. what happens with melee attacks?

3. does 20 telekenesis help?

2. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

you have read my thread, so you know i also have max res and Tgods:

1: he takes a little of my mana and barely anything of my life. If i stand still for long and there are multiple souls firing at me, they take all my mana, but due to the Tgods i do not get in any danger. usually a mana potion enables me to teleport out. Rarely i need a rejuv to get teleporting again. This all ONLY happens when i am in the final room trying to make space for a safe TP. Never any problems during teleport.

2: i cant say how much ES alone does for this, i know for sure max block is the most important thing here. The frozen armor also seems to be very very important. Basically the same happens here though, if there are many of them and they are strong, they will take my mana, normally a mana pot will enable me to teleport again.

3: Yes, without it ES is completely useless.

Yes the ES does have its disadvantages. But as i explained, my sorc is build with to never die.
    I want to survive also the extreme situations where monsters are fanaticism, extra strong and they amp damage you. In such situations, the ES would be crucial for survival. Even with all the disadvantages, it DOES add a good amount of damage reduction for both magic and physical damage. You must know however that you cannot rely on it.
    You must know what you are doing though. Most sorces just follow the book and use tals belt, armor and amy, if they dont have wisp projector to replace the Tgods, it is indeed just waiting to be killed by the gloams.

To further stress the importance of absorb gear: You should realise, this is the only defence you have that cannot be removed by monsters. resists can be removed by lower resist or conviction, ES can be removed by mana burn or high damage, physical resist can be removed by amp damage, block can be undone by unblockable attacks.
    Nothing can undo absorbs.

edit: finally, be carefull with the level of ES you use. The higher it gets, the more damage and thus mana it absorbs. I just use it lvl 1 (5 with + skills)

One other good example i have had with my sorc is a conviction enchanted pack of black souls. The conviction educes your resistance to 0 or less. This means you can forget about the fact that ES does not take resists in account and in this situation, ES works at full effect, making your mana worth just as much as your life. This time, i had just the time to press alt f4, without having both Tgods and ES, i would have certainly died.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

ah 20 tk does make sense then...how is it for a backup attack?

this is giving me an idea for a sorc remake:

20 orb
    20 synergy
    20 cold mastery
    20 tk
    1 es
    1 shiver
    1 tp

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

For a backup attack, i have only tried for fun sometimes what it does to mephi, it did nothing (yeah 20 damage or so). It should knockback other opponents or something, but i dont think thats very usefull.

5. ArmyAssClown

ArmyAssClown IncGamers Member

How does the energy shield work combined with warmth? :scratch:

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Sorry WackopenAir i have to totally disagree. Telekinesis is VERY useful. You can knockback and stun Bosses with it. This is especially helpful if you meet monsters that are immune to your attacks and you want to support your Merc while he kills off those.
    BUT yout only need 1 point in Tk for that ;)

ES has been discussed alto in a thread some time ago and been explained in naother. I will dig those out and insert the link here.

Just adding this since its useful:
    http://rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=140182

Here's a big discussion that went on for a while:
    http://rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=136752&highlight=Energy+Shield

7. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

It can be, but mostly its the lack of resistances or not maxed resistances together with Tgods for example or Guardian Angel.
    Even with 75% Lightning Res you die VERY fast if you happen to stumble over a group of gloams.

From what i gather the damage delivered is either doubled or even trippled.

1.Using TGods together with some form of MDR even helps more.
    Sometimes even with TGods you are lost and dead -> 2 Bosspacks of Black Souls :cheesy: Happened to me recently.

Otherwise i am fine with TGods.
    2. Melee attacks? What that? ;) You should play and not get hit by melee.
    NOW for a more serious comment.
    Dolls can kill you very fast, also Frenzy Minotaurs. but usually you try to avoid any closeup encounters! Pratice is needed here.

----
    If you have TGods, full res and ES thats a bit of overkill. You will basically take no elemental damage due to Tgods and full res and not because of the effect of ES.

8. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

The damage is not doubled or tripled, it's just the way the attack of a gloam works. It is bugged for sure, but not in that way.

The thing is, when you're standing still and the Gloam attacks you, you get hit by the lightning 5 times. When you're walking you won't get hit that much, and the Gloams tend to miss often then. But when a Sorceress teleports, she is in fact standing still. So when she gets hit, it's for the full 5 times. Now this in itself isn't THAT much of a rpoblem unless you don't have full resist. However, the attack is bugged.

The bug in the Gloam attack is in the ranged attack. The Gloam has two attacks, one melee and one ranged. The melee attack is not especially strong but the ranged attack has the melee part added to the normal lightning attack. This means when you get hit by it, you get hit by lightning 5 times AND you get hit by the physical attack also 5 times. Now THIS! hurts a lot. Especially when you don't have much PDR equipement or when you have low life. It's even worse with less the full lightning resist.

9. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I do not believe there is any physical part in Gloam ranged damage. I get the feeling the damage is added and then converted to lightning damage.
    Why do I think so? Without Thundergod's my sorc died to a single lightning stroke. With Thundergod's she lives without a scratch. And she has no PDR in whatever form...so if there's a physical portion to the Gloam's attack, it's 5 times 1-2 damage or something along those numbers. Now I doubt any hell monster has that kind of numbers for their physical attack, so the conclusion must be that the number is added but converted to lightning damage.