Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Energy shield question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by incubus1, Apr 4, 2004.

1. incubus1

incubus1 IncGamers Member

Energy shield question

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how exactly does telekineses benefit energy shield?

Is it worth it to max both skills, and warmth, for a melee sorc? Or should I save those points for enchant or something?

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

usually, 1 pt of damage = 2 pts of mana when using ES. the more you put into tk, the closer and closer it gets to 1:1. not sure if it can go below.

ES converts X% of damage taken to mana. the higher ES goes, the more damage is converted. i don't believe you can even get close to 100%.

warmth, doubt it. you are going to cast 4 spells tops, then nothing for another 2-5 minutes.

melee sorc is generally fire mastery, enchant, warmth for synergy, leaving you around 40 points to spend. tk/es is not a bad choice, unless you are going max vit/base nrg, in which case, shiver armor + synergies would be my choice.

3. incubus1

incubus1 IncGamers Member

Thanks for quick and helpful reply, but wouldn't warmth be useful since, when getting hit, my mana will be drained more than my life? So I can just tele away and recharge the hit. Also, is fire mastery really worth it for melee sorc? Since the only thing Id be getting from it is fire damage, wouldn't maxing a cold armor be better?

So:
    20 E shield
    20 telekinesis
    20 warmth
    15+ enchant
    15+ cold armor

That sound good?

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what happens to es with 20/20 es/tk. but in my experience, health is the problem, not your mana.

from what i've seen, es-using sorcs take 1 hit. this hit generally takes all their mana away so they can't tp. wacken says this doesn't happen with 20tk, so i'll take his word for it. even then, he uses block/absorb.

then, without es and no 2ndary defense, they die. i've seen 90+ level sorcs die in 1 hit from gloams, and some of them can't even survive council hydras.

es's big weakness is elemental damage, as resists don't count.

in all the melee sorc guides i've ever seen, enchant/mastery is the main offense. in fact, iirc, the main offense is enchant/mastery on the merc, not on the sorc.

i believe you get more fire damage than damage from the wep. also, it gives a pretty huge amount of ar.

maxxing a cold armor is fine if you have the points.

5. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

For Enchantress:
    20 Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery.
    If you want to use ES with melee: 20 TK, switch weapon with Memory runeword.

For the reasons as to why, so a forum search on "enchantress energy shield".

6. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

Can't Soepgroente's post about the working of energy shield be stickied? As well with some arguments for and against the use of it? Would help out a lot of people I think.

7. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

With 0 telekinesis, ES takes 2 mana for each absorbed damage.
    With 8 telekinesis, ES takes 1.5 mana for each absorbed damage.
    With 16 telekinesis, ES takes 1 mana for each absorbed damage.
    With 20 telekinesis, ES takes 0.75 mana for each absorbed damage.

I only use ES with max telekinesis, without TK it sucks dick and gets you killed.

Even when you use it, it is not something you can rely upon a lot, it is just a bonus, not a life saver by its own. Mana burners and heavy (elemental) attacks can drain your mana pretty fast, you must be able to survive a bit without the ES.

edit: i once saw a short film of someone doing a mephisto run, is there a free to download program that allows me to make short films of my diablo play? If so, i could make a film of my sorc doing baal teleports in a game with many gloams and other dangerous guys to show how ES works with 20 TK.

8. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Yay :)

I'll ask a mod.

9. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

Yeah, people call it a webcam :p