Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Energy Shield/Melee Sorc questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by DoC-Makaveli, Feb 1, 2004.

1. DoC-Makaveli

DoC-Makaveli IncGamers Member

Energy Shield/Melee Sorc questions

Ok... I'm attempting to make a melee sorc that can be somewhat effective in pvp... I don't expect to kill necros and things like that, but possibly some others

I have maxed Enchant, Fire Mastery, and Warmth (enchant syn).. now where should I put the rest of the points? I put 6 into shiver armor and 1 cold mastery already (I realize I may need to remake, but its not a big deal)

I think I want to put them into Energy Shield/Shiver Armor...

The way I understood the Telekinesis synergy for energy shield, it just makes energy shield take away less mana per damage absorbed... I don't think it would help me much because my mana is staying nearly full and I am dieing from the 41% I am not absorbing (max warmth + 125% damage to mana keep my mana full at mast times)

so uh... i think that maybe i could do this: max energy shield (skill quests + 8 levels needed -- it would give me **% absorb) and then put more points into shiver armor.. think thats a good idea someone who knows????

2. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

alright ,

usually for people who wanna go max energy shield route, they max telekenesis as well before maxing energy shield.

since you want to pvp too, you need to put points into telekenesis or any hit might just drain your mana pool empty. You can try this build instead.

Max enchant etc (62 pts)
    Max telekenesis
    Max energy shield
    (with stats pts to energy, aiming for 900+ life)

or

Max enchant (62 pts)
    Max 1 cold armor.
    then divide remaining pts into telekenesis / energy shield.
    or all remaining to energy shield
    (with stats pts to vita, aiming for 1400+ life)

(note: if you use MEMORY to cast energy shield, you can actually invets none into energy shield.)

Apparently, 1 build has more effective energy shield and the other has more health and defense. The energy shield route is pretty good against bone necros by the way..

3. DoC-Makaveli

yeah... I think the energy shield thing is gonna be better because no matter what I do, my life isn't going to be that high...

but uh... with damage to mana, my es doenst lose as much... with TK/high ES I think it's gonna take a lotta hits to actually get to my life lol =)

btw.. i have 30 added in vit... I was planning to leave it at that.. is it better to put the rest into energy? I have like almost 200 unused

4. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

If you give me your fighting style (range melee) equips, and health mana. I might be able to give a more proper suggestion.

Also, damage goes to mana is a nono..especially when you wanna max energys shield.

5. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

the frost armors are a complete waste... pvp unless you are maxing them and going fora godly defensive sorc (not happenning)

what... so you raise the defense from 3k to 5k? wow... anyhting under 10k defense is just like having no defense in my book.

i dont think shiver armor is worth it at all... it will make no difference in pvp... spend thouse points on telekenesis to help the energy shield drain.

also invest in some good dmg to mana gear...
    NAJS ARMOR
    GLOOM TRAP BELT (upgraded for pot holding) maybe?
    ALDUR BOOT
    and of course PASSION RUNEWORD +1 zeal
    MANG SONG LESSON STAFF ON THE WEAPON SWITCH to cast enchant and ES

IF you got a hold of +3 enchant ormus that would rock... but then i fear that you dont have enough dmg to mana gear... once your mana energy shield pops in a duel.. you are dead.... for a melee sorcy

I have seen a few VERY tough melee sorcs... i tried one myself .. and i just found her to be inferior and useless in solo HELL... it was depressing me to much so i stopped..

its an interesting fun build that CAN work.. i just didnt have the patience.

thnx
    stef

6. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

no actually... its the exact opposite... if you max Energy shield you NEED dmg to mana gear. Otherwise 1 Hit and your ES pops and you are dead...

with Tons of dmg goes to mana gear and good level telekenesis... you have a VERY VERY VERY hard to kill sorc.

7. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

First of all, damage goes to mana only works for physical damage.

Say your energy shield is so high, at level 40, that you can absorb 95% of the damage to mana. Then, assume you have 100% damage to mana and 50% Physical damage reduction.

Ok now a physical damage of 1000 hits you.
    95% goes to mana = 950. With maxed telekenesis, = 950 x 0.75 = 712.5 mana drained.
    5% goes to life = 50. With PDR it will be 25 life drop. Then 25 goes to mana. So your 100% damage goes to mana only get you 25 mana and you have to sacrifice all the eqiups to get 100%.

I hope now everyone understands why damage goes to mana is quite useless in this case.

8. DoC-Makaveli

i dont really care about pvm... im just concerned with pvp

i added those extra stats into energy (i figured i would be remaking anyway, was sorta dissatisfied with the cold armor so i might as well try it) i think that part turned out pretty well!

I've tried dmg to mana items and i have to admit i sem to do better with them (115% dmg to mana)

wy4251, do you still think damage to mana is useless if my energy shield is level 32 (on cast items -- i just have occy/lidless because i want the + to ES and enchant) and telekinesis is level 22 on my attacking equip ? I really cannot see myself killing a well-played necro (or other strong caster) with fire res with this sorc... =/ so im not so sure it is a big deal that dmg to mana doesnt work vs nonphys dmg (although I could, of course, have 2 equips for different characters)

my life is approximately 1200 with 35 vit added, max block, str for stormshield, and my current equipment (2400 if i change to bear) -- with 247 energy (w/ items) I have 899 mana... i've been using beast (worked better as human than bear -- cant tele as bear...)

so how should i make the char ideally? (on nonladder)

i am thinking max enchant, warmth, fire mastery, energy shield, telekinesis for skills (none into cold skills). least str possible (133 with items for storm), dex for 75 block, (0-30) vit -- not sure yet, rest to energy for stats.

items are still a big question... i am not sure if i should get big dmg to mana, get a little, or ignore it completely

im not sure if i should use beast as human or use it to cast werebear and use robo phase or use passion as human... the werebear wont work vs casters very well without tele.. but probably the best for dueling melee people...

9. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

How do you get such high life, am I missing something...

I'm curious what you guys are wearing that gives you so much life?
    I have a level 75 melee sorc in act 5 hell, where she is doing ok but she only has ~750 life. She has enough str for storm shield (142 + [14 from gloves] w/ p Diamond for resists) and enough dex for Passion Phase blade (120 + [16 from raven frost], base energy and all other points into vitality... are your guy's numbers being quoted with CTA factored in or is that really your base life... I don't have a cta (hence my writing of the poor mans sorc guide down a little bit in the forum)

If your wondering how I survive in hell with so little life.. well.. max resists, 50% Physical damage reduction... 1 pt into EShield for a little extra help, level 16 Shiver armor (maxing this). I Teleport into a small group of enemys, zeal as soon as I am there and tele out if I get into trouble.

Jason
    Jason

10. DoC-Makaveli

no, i dont use cta... i have 880 life in my 39 max dmg/life sc's and annihilus charm gives me 20 str/dex/vit... lotsa other +stat items and shako adds lotsa life

11. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

hmm long time no post %) but my melee sorc uses storm with self found -15 req/+15 res all jewel. 900 life, max res, 760 mana, does fine in hell. Life is all charm based IMHO, and in don´t putting a lot into STR, too...
    BTW, i use a TGods to help lifting my storm.