Energy shield for enchantress ??

domac

Diabloii.Net Member
Energy shield for enchantress ??

Hi all!

I'm making a zeal enchantress with passion phase blade and I was thinking of using Stormshield + Dungo's for PDR and max block. So the question is: is it better to use Energy shield or is max block enough and ES would be overkill? would it be better to simply achieve max block and put remaining stats into vit?

also, if you reccomend ES could you also suggest how much hard points into energy and what size mana pool I will need ... ??

thanks

galtzaiLe

Diabloii.Net Member
The bad thing about ES is that you'll spend a lot of skill points (20 Tele 20 ES)... the good thing is you don't have to worry about resistances and %DR (only xDR).

With ES your energy is your vitality (well, kind of).

domac

Diabloii.Net Member
So basically %PDR gear (SS, dungo's) is almost useless when using energy shield? And isn't 20 TK 1 ES enough?

Suddenly it sounds better to use base energy and increase vitality ...

But what to do with remaining 20 points?

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
maybe put them in a cold armour (the first 1 is nice for total freeze factor and the last ones good to deal with ranged foes its your choice there) also a realy great prebuff item for this kind of build is memory made in a staff with +3es already giving you a grand total of +9 es(i think)
also dont forget 1 point wonders like static, and on a meele sorc i find frost nova a very useful skill to slow down foes near you,(not needed if you got with hf merc)
whats the rest of your gear and skill set up look like, i cant help more without a better idea of what you have/have planned

galtzaiLe

Diabloii.Net Member
So basically %PDR gear (SS, dungo's) is almost useless when using energy shield?
That's because the damage reduction is applied before the ES reduction, so you want a xDR to (possibly) negate the damage.

And isn't 20 TK 1 ES enough?
It could be enough but only with lots of +ES bonus. Keep in mind that at 20 ES only 75% of the damage is absorbed.

Here is a nice ES F.A.Q. and here is a nice ES explanation as well.

Sorry for my english :X

domac

Diabloii.Net Member
@galtzaiLe
had to c/p your nick :) thanks for the links I went over them and I think I won't be using ES. I pretty much just want to mat this sorc and maybe enchant a party or two in LAN and I don't see going 20 ES 20 TK. Too expensive.

@Deaddave

I guess it would be a nice change to max something like frozen armor. man it would be cool if you could cast frozen armor on anyone just like enchant :)

anyway I didn't plan it much, just the basics. Skills:
20 Enchant
20 Warmth
20 Fire Mastery
20 ?????

I haven't really thought about the gear much but of the top of my head:

Passion Phase Blade
Stormshield
Verdungo's
Duriel's of Lionheart
Goblin Toe
Magefist
some fire gc's
maybe ravenfrost, leech ring
for ammy don't really know ...

thanks.

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member
The ES reduces the risk of an instant death and also prevents you from getting into hit recovery animation in most cases. For this purpose, even 1 point in ES/TK works nicely. This is very useful for any "standard" sorceress.

However, the ES receives double damage by default, unless you place more points into Telekinesis. The damage ratio decreases linearly reaching normal value 1.0 with 16 hardpoints in Telekinesis. Thus, if you expect to be hit often, maxing Telekinesis seems appropriate. As an enchantress, you'll be probably maxing warmth, which encourages larger mana pool to make better use of faster mana regeneration.

Note that the elemental resistances do not apply to ES, thus you'll be taking insane ammount of damage from elemental attacks in Hell, and your ES will shatter in a second. Also any mana-burn bosses will tear down your ES instantly. You still need at least decent vitality to survive such situations. Some elemental absorb and %damage taken goes to mana help a lot here.

The efficiency of ES itself (% damage absorbed) decreases significantly after lvl8.

Ugla

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
@galtzaiLe
had to c/p your nick :) thanks for the links I went over them and I think I won't be using ES. I pretty much just want to mat this sorc and maybe enchant a party or two in LAN and I don't see going 20 ES 20 TK. Too expensive.

@Deaddave

I guess it would be a nice change to max something like frozen armor. man it would be cool if you could cast frozen armor on anyone just like enchant :)

anyway I didn't plan it much, just the basics. Skills:
20 Enchant
20 Warmth
20 Fire Mastery
20 ?????

I haven't really thought about the gear much but of the top of my head:

Passion Phase Blade
Stormshield
Verdungo's
Duriel's of Lionheart
Goblin Toe
Magefist
some fire gc's
maybe ravenfrost, leech ring
for ammy don't really know ...

thanks.
not bad set up, i guess your forgot your helm but i would surgest gullmans face(for cb, ds) or maybe rockstopper(for res+10% dr), harly is also a nice choice for that nice +life and +2 skills.
seeing as you have listed goblin toe i take it you dont have gore ridders?
for armour duriel,s for the res+scaling +life and defence and the cbf. id also drop the raven(seeing as you would get cbf from durials) and use angelice ring and ammy. for the other ring, try finding a duel leach ring.
mageifst are more of a caster glove (althought they do have+1fire skill) your better off using rares/crafted gloves with some fhr and res.
verdungos is a good choice, although if you cant get life leach string would be a nice alterative.
stormsheild:cannot falt you on this my fave sheild:azn:
on switch try getting a 2 soc + xenchant staff and making leaf in it.

with that kind of set up you should be able to end up with a nice defence number when you add in 1 of the armour spells(the first 1 is may fave once the erermy hit you once and there frozen solid:evil:) and when using a hf merc(which i advise) the ice bolts of the last 1 wont do much for you.

for skill set i would go something like:

20 Enchant
20 Warmth
20 Fire Mastery
20 cold armour of choice.
1 in tele and static and your all set

sorry for the long post

-dd

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
maybe put them in a cold armour (the first 1 is nice for total freeze factor and the last ones good to deal with ranged foes its your choice there) also a realy great prebuff item for this kind of build is memory made in a staff with +3es already giving you a grand total of +9 es(i think)
Yes, a +3 Energy Shield four socket staff with Memory makes +9 to ES, which gets you up pretty far into the diminishing returns of ES. That is a great staff to have on switch for any sorc.

On the cold armor choice, there was a good discussion in this thread.

One fundamental difference between Frozen Armor (the first one) and Shiver Armor (the second one) is that for Frozen Armor to freeze the monster, it needs to hit you; for Shiver, they just need to attack you, and they will be slowed, hit or miss. So if you have high defence and are not running, hopefully you won't get hit much and Shiver may be a better choice. On the other hand, monsters being frozen is better than them being just chilled. The ranged one doesn't do much damage so I've never tried that one.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
the reson i say use the first 1 is if your running holy freeze merc(wish is probly best choice for this build) the enermys are all ready chilled so the the freezeing from shiver becomes redundant, yet if your running frozen armour any hits that get throught stops the enermy dead in the tracks

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
the reson i say use the first 1 is if your running holy freeze merc(wish is probly best choice for this build) the enermys are all ready chilled so the the freezeing from shiver becomes redundant, yet if your running frozen armour any hits that get throught stops the enermy dead in the tracks
An excellent point- for a general sorc, I prefer the first (Frozen Armor), mainly for safety turning teleporting and the fact that it's one less point to invest if you don't plan on having it on switch or swap. The defense bonus is slightly larger for the second one (and it causes a neglible amount of damage) but that is not a big concern compared to the frozen vs. chilled issue.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
over powered relm rune word gives lvl 15 holy shock arua when equiped, which can be boosted up greatly with light mastery,

ot:nice to see you round sidhe,

edit:dont know whats going on today i actuly seem to know what im talking about and im making sence:laugh:

Psywire

Diabloii.Net Member
Can anyone clarify for me.. what does an Enchantress actually do? Just boost her mercs damage & let him kill?

Sidhe

Diabloii.Net Member
over powered relm rune word gives lvl 15 holy shock arua when equiped, which can be boosted up greatly with light mastery,
Ah, i actually know that one, haha... Thought you guys had gone round inventing new fancy names for items :wink:

ot:nice to see you round sidhe,
Still here ocassionally...

edit:dont know whats going on today i actuly seem to know what im talking about and im making sence:laugh:
Quick!! Someone get a doctor, Deaddave is making sense!! :wink:

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
Can anyone clarify for me.. what does an Enchantress actually do? Just boost her mercs damage & let him kill?
This enchantress would attack at decent FPA with Zeal and an excellent chance to hit from the AR bonus from enchant, as well as enchant the merc. Ranged enchantresses often use a bow with exploding arrows (Raven Claw, Kuko, Demon Machine) which carry the enchant damage on the explosions, and they fire from a distance while their merc tanks and kills.

If you have RWM and the runes for a Dream helm, why not go double Dream in the shield as well? Stormshield is great but damage reduction isn't needed as much with a good Energy Shield going, and double Dream gives L30 Holy Shock, 1-1600+. With a good Lightning Mastery, that is big damage there.

One comment about the ranged cold armor Chilling Armor is that I think there was an interesting comical screenshot of 5 sorcs standing around the Outer Cloister, all mutually hostile, all with Chilling Armor firing at one another, making a nice pentagram. I couldn't find a link to that screenshot, though.

domac

Diabloii.Net Member
For helm I guess I'll go harly bacuase of life and +skills also help zeal. That makes zeal lvl 3 and 4 hits. I guess I will have to find another +1 skills ...

as for Dream ... my highest rune is sur found in the pit and even if I had a single jah I doubt I would make dream. Maybe ICE ...

equipment... i have gore rider but I thought that with the small physical damage DS won't be of use that much so I thought to increase CB....

on switch I thought about Eschuta's and Spirit. +% damage from echuta's only adds to fire mastery?

I guess I will go for 20 frozen armor ... they are chilled from HF merc and frozen from FA. plus it does help with "hit causes monster to flee". can't flee while frozen :)

again, thanks for suggestions

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
well the reson i say gores instead goblin toe is because of the open wounds and higher defence, when hitting fast and open wounds triggering on the enermys it helps knock the enermy down quite a bit faster, but then again like you goblin toe has more cb:scratch:
im not sure on how the +fire damage works with Eschuta's so i cant help you there, if does only add to fire mastry id say use a good leaf staff.