Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Energy shield explained

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Soepgroente, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Energy shield explained

Energy shield, explained in-depth for hopefully the last time.

? What does telekinesis do for energy shield?

Energy shield takes 2 points of mana for every point of life it absorbs. Each point you spend in telekinesis reduces this by 0,0625 point. This means that after 16 points you’re only losing half the mana compared to zero points. At 20 points you’re only losing 0,75 mana per absorbed hit point.

? So if you get a level 32 telekinesis you’re losing no mana through energy shield?

No, it only works with actual invested points, so level 20 is the limit.

? How much damage can energy shield absorb?

It’s capped at 95%, which is at skill level (slvl) 40. After that only the duration of energy shield increases.

? What is the energy shield bug?

It doesn’t exist. This ‘bug’ you might’ve heard about, is simply an intended change from blizzard. This change is that energy shield is now applied before resistances, meaning your mana gets drained four times as much as it used to with maxed resistances. Telekinesis doesn’t totally make up for this, but it helps.

? Is energy shield applied before the PvP penalty?

No. This is good since this means 6 times less mana draining.

? How do I calculate damage taken to mana and life with energy shield?

There’s a formulae for that:

Damage to life = Damage*(1 – ((1-W/100)*(1-X/100)*(1-Y/100)*(1-Z/100))*100)

W = PvP penalty (for most, if not all attacks 1/6, so 1 - 0,1666667)
    X = % resistance (or damage reduction in case of a physical attack)
    Y = % chance to block (in case of a physical attack or blockable elemental attack)
    Z = % energy shield

Fill in zero if you have zero resistance or block or damage reduction.

For example if you take 12 000 damage hit from a fire ball when dueling another sorceress with maxed telekinesis, resistances and 95% (max) energy shield:

Damage to life = 12 000*(1 – ((1-(1/6))*(1-0,75)*(1-0)*(1-0,95))*100) = 25

For damage to mana another formulae should be used:

Damage to mana = (Damage*(2 – 0,0625x))*(1-W/100)
    x = slvl telekinesis
    W = pvp penalty

Take the same example as above, with the fire ball hitting:

Damage to mana = (12 000*(2-0,0625*20))*(1-(1/6)) = 1500 mana

? Is damage to mana % effective in combination with energy shield?

No. Since damage to mana is now subtracted from the actual damage you take, in our fire ball example, it would take (1500/25)*100 = 6000% damage to mana in order to restore the lost mana. The higher your energy shield gets, the less you benefit from %damage to mana.

Input welcome :clap:

2. Boogie

Boogie IncGamers Member

I dont get it :D

3. Urlik_Skarsol

Urlik_Skarsol IncGamers Member

Excellent info! Thanks for summarizing this and providing the formulae. :clap:

Now, please help me out with something... what is a "blockable elemental attack"? I thought only resists helped against the elements....

Is there such a thing as "ES absorb-lock"... that prevents you from casting while ES reacts to for example a bunch of missles...

Lastly, is there any added benefit to the knockback effect of TK with more points invested?

Do you have a formula for it?

Thanks,

Urlik

4. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

Very nice mini-guide. I am glad some1 had the time to explain it. Now I am sure I wasn't wrong when choosing not to use ES :D

5. Soepgroente

would be more helpful to say what part you do not understand :uhhuh:

6. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

a fact that is not so well known about Eshield (as it should be). while it is true if you have max res, eshield will burn through mana, the opposite is also true. because it is calculated before res, if you have negative res, the dmg going to mana isn't boosted by the negative res.

meaning that eshield can psuedo-replace res if its that negative. This isn't a good idea to plan a sorc around, but its a gear vs skill points issue. if you have good gear, this doesn't matter, but if you have bad gear, you can almost replace res with eshield and not worry about a huge drain on mana.

7. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Hey Soepgroente! Great summary :)

8. Har-Megiddo

Har-Megiddo IncGamers Member

Does elemental absorb work side by side with ES? I mean, you said res. doesn't count before ES, but does absorb?

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Weeee great miniguide Dr. D2. Soep!

I'd like to know baout absorb aswell!

10. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Just checking I've got this straight:

Damage is inflicted. Damage is reduced by PvP penalty (if applicable). Damage is reduced by energy shield. Mana cost is calculated based on ES-reduced damage. Damage is further reduced by elemental and physical resists. Damage is applied to character.

I'm not quite sure how blocking fits into the Energy Shield equation. I thought the point of blocking was that you either took damage or you didn't. With 75% blocking, three-quarters of the time, a physical attack will cause no damage and cost no mana; the rest of the time it will cause full damage and full mana cost. Am I wrong?

Where do other damage reduction components fit in:

Elemental absorb: Will it reduce damage applied, mana cost or both?

Magic Damage Reduce by, and Physical Damage Reduced by X (not %): Where are these applied? Will they reduce damage applied, mana cost or both?

Chris

11. Soepgroente

Haven't tested those things, but i'm pretty sure i have your answers:

The first sentense is perfect. Absorb is applied after resistances and heals life, not mana. Magical/physical damage reduced by X is applied after energy shield, but before any resistances.

12. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

That is correct.

Just wanted to give a second confirmation in case ppl are still unsure.

13. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Attack and damage resolving order:

- Check to_hit chance to see if a hit occurs (to_hit = 100*AR/(AR+DR) * 2*alvl/(alvl+dlvl)), unless the attack is "always hit" (f.i. Guided Arrow)...quite obviously the first step.
    - If a hit occurs, check for a block if the attack can be blocked (block can occur from shield or Assassin Weapon Block skill, WB can block a great deal more than a shield can).
    - If the attack cannot be blocked or the block check failed, check for evade/avoid/dodge.
    Now we get to the point where damage resolving starts.
    - Damage dealt is reduced by Battle Cry, Weaken, Decrepify.
    - PvP penalty: The damage is divided by 6 in player to player combat. Also modifications like Boss-to-Minion are applied here.
    - Energy Shield: This is where ES reduced the damage and mana loss due to ES occurs.
    - Bone Armor/Cyclone Armor: Reduction of damage due to these spells is applied, possibly nullifying the damage.
    - (Magic) Damage Reduced by X: The damage is reduced by the total amount of (Magic) Damage Reduced by X on the character, possibly nullifying the damage.
    - Resistances are applied: This can be either positive or negative and goes for all damage types; fire/cold/lightning/poison/magical/physical. These are the resistances as listed in the character screen, but also the Damage Reduced by X% (Shaftstop and the like) and magical damage (f.i. the crafted safety shield). Lower Resist, Conviction, Amplify Damage, Cold Mastery and any other effects that give -% to resist are applied here. The total resistance % to the type of damage is determined, then the damage is modified by this factor.
    - X% Absorb: the damage is reduced by the % absorb to the element in question. The amount that the damage is reduced by is stored and will be used for healing later.
    - +X Absorb: the damage is reduced by +X (f.i. 20 for Thundergod's Vigor in case of lightning damage). This can nullify the damage. The amount by which the damage is reduced is again stored (added to the amount from the previous step).
    - Apply healing from the previous 2 steps: If damage was absorbed, the amounts is added to life at this point, if possible (you cannot go over full life due to this effect).
    - Damage Goes to Mana: Mana is gained based on the amount of damage still present at this stage, if any.
    - Damage is subtracted from life. Ouch.
    - Mana Burn damage is applied to mana. Technically this step isn't part of damage resolving, but I mention it here to make it clear that it occurs after Damage Goes to Mana, thus DgtM will not generate any mana that will be available after being hit by a mana burner.

14. Soepgroente

Very useful information Zarhrezz, can i add that into my mini-guide?

15. Wuhan_Clan

At this point, you should also check attacker's AR and your own Defense. This of course only applies for physical attacks.

16. Zarhrezz

You mean the first '-'?

17. Zarhrezz

Sure thing. Credit goes to all kinds of sources of course ;)

18. Wuhan_Clan

Sorry for not making it clear ...

19. Zarhrezz

No...that part is the very first part of the stack:

- Check to_hit chance to see if a hit occurs (to_hit = 100*AR/(AR+DR) * 2*alvl/(alvl+dlvl)), unless the attack is "always hit" (f.i. Guided Arrow)...quite obviously the first step.

Block/avoid/evade/dodge/etc will only be checked if a hit is rolled in the above formula.

20. Soepgroente

I know that that's true, at least in .09 it was, i tested it with a 40k defense barb, he wouldn't get hit ever and occasionally block a hit. If block was applied first then he'd be blocking all the time which he didn't :)