Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Energy Shield and % Dmg Taken Goes to Mana

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Evanta, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Energy Shield and % Dmg Taken Goes to Mana

How does the calculations for % Dmg to mana works with Energy Shield?

Could be interesting, cuz ever since I upgraded nightsmoke (50% dmg to mana)for my soc, it is a lot less difficult to keep the Energy Shield out/drains significantly less mana.

Anyone can help?

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Energy Shield mana reduction is calculated before everything else and then the remaining damage will factor into the %damage taken goes to mana.

3. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

From the way it seems to work from pratical experience though, it seems that some part of energy shield damage is also converted back. I don't seem to lose mana at the same rate as I was from elemental attacks.

4. DaemonX

DaemonX IncGamers Member

According to the math, it should have buggerall effect if your ES is high enough.

But empircally this does not seem to be so !

What is going on?

5. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

First ES reduces the damage and mana is lost.
    Then Damage Reduced by X reduces the damage further.
    Next resists (including physical resist from gear) reduce the damage further.
    Then %absorb, followed by +absorb.
    The remaining damage is applied as life loss and Damage goes to Mana is applied based on this loss of life.

So say we have a 50% ES with TK 20 and 50% resist with no PDR/MDR or absorb and we take 200 damage:
    ES redirects 200*.50 = 100 damage to mana. Due to TK only 100*.75 = 75 mana is lost.
    50% resist lowers the damage: 100*.50 = 50 damage taken.
    So we lose 75 mana and 50 life. 150% Damage goes to Mana will offset the mana lost.

Now say we have maxed resists. The number the become 75 mana lost, 25 life lost: 300% Damage goes to Mana needed to offset the mana loss.
    Now let's take the ES to 60% reduction (for calculation sake, I know you can't have exactly 60%). Mana loss will be 90, life loss 20. 450% Damage goes to Mana needed to offset the mana loss.

Now it's time to step back and realize that 50-100% Damage goes to Mana is about all you'll ever get in that mod and that you're already giving up other worthwhile equipment for it.
    The problem with Damage goes to Mana is that there's no items offering a high enough % of them to make them worthwhile in offsetting ES mana loss. If you're at 75% resists and have 100% Damage goes to Mana, a 25% ES or thereabout is balanced. Now that in itself isn't too shabby, but there's some practical concearns: Being able to cast ES at that low a skill level...most sorcs have rather high +skills, thus overshooting a balanced value for ES. And as mentioned before, getting 100% Damage goes to Mana will cost you at least 3 item slots, slots that could give other good mods.

The effect of 50% Damage goes to Mana on a low level ES is of course noticeble, especially if resists aren't maxed and there's no %PDR, but breaking even isn't something you'll be able to do effectively.

Edit: New post to adress.
    The effect of Damage goes to Mana is quickly lost when ES goes up in %. With higher % ES more mana will be lost and less damage will be taken...at slvl 40 ES maxes out at 95%. Taking our previous example: mana loss will be 200*.95*.75 = 143. Life loss will be 200*.05*.25 = 3. 50% Damage goes to Mana lets us regain 1 mana. 4767% Damage goes to Mana needed to offset the mana loss from ES.

6. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Eh, thanx, but like I was saying, I seem to be losing less mana when I get elemental-attacked with nightsmoke. Since all damage goes to mana first due to energy shield, does that mean that %damage is converted?

Or maybe I'm dreaming. Damn I shouldn't have dismantled my soc so fast.

7. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

No, Damage goes to Mana is based on the life actually lost. If your red orb didn't go down, your blue orb didn't go up, simple as that. If your red orb goes down X, Y% Damage goes to Mana is based on X.
    Why Damage goes to Mana quickly loses effectiveness with high ES and resists is because the actual life you lose goes down a great deal, thus cutting down the number that Damage goes to Mana is based on.

Of course there is still a noticible effect at moderate numbers of ES and resists...if you lost 50 mana due to ES and gain 5 mana from Damage goes to Mana, you offset 10% of the drain, which is still a noticeble amount.