Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

-enemy fire rst stack w/ merc?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by saint_of_killers, Mar 9, 2004.

1. saint_of_killers

saint_of_killers Diablo: IncGamers Member

-enemy fire rst stack w/ merc?

if my dru wears a -20 enemy fire rst ravenlore and my merc uses a HoJ bb (-20 enemy fire rst), do all enemies have -40 fire rst no matter who attacks them? or do they still only have -20 fire rst, since they're only being attacked by either me or my merc?

2. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

The short answer is no, -fire res does not stack like you described. The game gives - resistances to monsters that are attacked by you or your skills (although some skills produce minions according to the game's thinking, and so your -resists won't apply then). So monsters will only get -20 fire res when you or your merc attack them, it only applies to the individual attack or skill being used, at the time it's used.

3. saint_of_killers

thanks
    so then here's a somewhat OT question: would a doombringer be better than a HoJ bb for my merc w/ my fire elem dru? since the -enemy fire doesn't stack with my attacks, the only advantage HoJ has over doombringer is the freeze target, 20% DS, and blind target. the doombringer has 20% max life and weaken. i guess it's a question of offense or defence.

4. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Well, the short answer to your question is to go with the HoJ BB. Here's why.

If it's non-eth, the BB does just slightly less average damage (even with the lowest ED possible for HoJ) than the best doombringer you can get. If the BB is eth, it beats the stuffing out of any doombringer you can get damage-wise. Since damage is king and will affect the life leech your merc gets, this should be the most important thing to consider. Life leech on both are about the same, so the only 2 other things to consider are doombringer's bonuses to life and attack rating. HoJ has ITD, so that nullifies the AR bonus on doombringer. HoJ has no life bonus, but it does more damage and has leech equal to the best you can get on doombringer, so that kindof cancels out the life bonus. That leaves us with damage as the only deciding factor. Since HoJ damage is better, it is the clear choice.

5. saint_of_killers

all that considered, i agree!! plus, it's kinda cool to say your merc has better and/or rarer gear than yourself. luckily i do have an eth bb, just need to socket it. my first HoJ i made was on cryptic sword and the ed was only 282%...hopefully i'll get a 320+, heh.