Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enduring the Durance

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by riddyl, May 2, 2005.

1. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

Enduring the Durance

Is it just me or am I the only character who has a problem with running through durance 2 to get to hell mephisto? I have an IK barb with WW, and he has 75 all resisits, around 3.5k life and over 12k defence and I just can't seem to get from the wp to the stairs without having to use a considerable amount of potions.

Things that give me the most trouble are the flayer-class monsters but everything down there just seems to hit me for tons of dmg.

Also, i try to run in a clockwise direction but as I said I tend to use most of my potions in doing it!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

3.5k life seems sort of low for a Barb in hell. What level are you? What are your skills right now?

You could always switch on a Stormshield and a decent one hander for added damage reduction just for the durance run and switch back to the maul once you get to meph.

3. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

Atm im level 82 with 26 bo, 26 shout 20 ww and 20 MM.

As for my stats i have 187 base str to give me 232 overall then the rest is in vitality.

Might try the shield idea, now all I need to do is to find 1 :p

4. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Shield won't do you any good though, since you don't have any dex. Investing in dex for an IK barb isn't worth it either, just so you can use a shield to get through the dur ;)

-Hal

5. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

I considered that, but if he's taking too much damage, and he can't boost his life much past what he's currently got then a SS would be a nice band aid for the DR and resists alone (even if he has about 5% blocking).

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I run and yell alot, and jump over corners

sometimes I whack guys in order to run faster, not that that helps you any :p

7. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

1) Are you using might mercenary & is he well equipped?
    2) What about your jewelry? Get some extra leech from bk.
    3) If you whirl past those stygian dolls,their death burst will deal huge dmg,avoid whirling through them,in large games its certain death with just 20% dr.Though they can be leeched of unlike other undead skelies,their burst far outweighs the leech effectiveness.Since maul range is 2,you cant use whirl away technique,works great with range 5 polearms/spears,you kill them while being out of their burst radius.So the best you can do is simply howl them away.
    4)Avoid stopping in midst of blunderbore packs,use long whirls.
    5)Use leap attack to leap past a nasty pack,use howl/taunt warcry.

Rik

8. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

Personally, I'd never farm Meph using an IK barb. There are L85 areas where an IK barb can do a much better job.

note the facts:

- if you use a shield, your IK is incomplete. So you'll need to shuffle your gear to make it work with a shield.

- SS gives 35% DR + some blocking. This can remove nearly half of the dmg off from your barb.

Note this: even with 200+ dex, when running, your barb can only block up to 25%. Who would walk/hop in Hell to durance L3 all the time? So, low dex (hence low blocking rate) is not a big issue here. What you really need from SS is DR + some blocking. A SS-using, blocking barb shouldn't need more than a potion or two to run from durance L2 WP until he has leaped over the moat in L3.

9. Llathias

Llathias Banned

or simply reroll your map until you have the stairs just next to the wp (start the game in NM and then Hell again; you'll get a brand new map)

10. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

I end up using Warcry a lot when running Meph - just stun the bad guys and move on. Definitely one of the easier ways of dealing with those damn dolls.

11. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

My pvm-er (dual axe ww-er) has 3.3k life 21k def and no pdr at all and besides IM, dolls really give me a run - i don`t engage more than 2 at a time and usually break their pack (howl) than let the merc tank/kill them. Stygian furys come second after dolls when they are many and phisical imune (worldstone lvl3). Besides those i can ww through anyhing without much trouble.
    In your situation anything that increase your offence/defence ability will help:
    - more ll, dmg, ar, (does the ik maul reach the last ww bp?)
    - defence (iron skin), life, pdr....etc.
    See Rik`s ww guide:
    http://www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/whirl/
    expecially the Basics (1.Payload, 4.Armor, 5.Mid-whirl refueling) sections to figure what/how u can increase.
    - geting a few lvl-ups will also help.

12. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

thx for all the input guys.

I'm now managing to survive 90% of time I run mephisto, I levelled a few time to get more vit and put another 2 points into iron skin. Also got hold of some vit charms which helped.

My problem is now all I find is crap from him even with 450% mf :p. guess thats a new topic though :)

13. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Run pits.If it makes you feel any better, my sorc with more mf than that doesnt get jack from meph either.I run nm andy with her now.

My zon has been luckier in pits with just 300 mf:44/2 deaths web/templars might/raven lore & many half decent stuff.

Rik

14. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

problem with the pit run is that I pretty much have to stick to my IK Maul which considerabely reduces my mf. I only get my 450% if I have dual Ali Babas on the switch which are terrible weapons tbh. Thats why I run Mephisto because I can sliver him down to low health and switch weapons to finish him off.

i guess I'll have to invest some hours into levelling my might merc so he can clear most of the enemies for me, and hes only level 50 atm :(. Anyone got a free reapers toll for me? :D

15. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

There is a really easy way to do meph runs. There is a post for it in the sorc forum. I use it all the time. CLICK ME OR DIE!

16. dlscowby

dlscowby IncGamers Member

ok a quick question, whats a pit run? ive heard it but i dont know what it refers to. also, i know you talking about a mf barb right with ik? thats cool, my ik barb has less life than you and i rush a bunch with him in hell...i dont think ive had any problems with durance, but rather in chaos (iron maiden) but thats a different story. if your wondering how to get good items with him, i might suggest something ive been doing and weidling great results. since ik is mainly PvM, i have been doing countess hell and then straight to hell cows. for this though, i dont put any extra mf gear of (minus the set items of course) and he has 63% mf. on a side note great way to lvl merc if need be, lvled 61-87 in a few runs. but here with little or no mf, sup armors, eth armors and weaps drop with great rates due to the number of cows, and if you have decent merc who doesnt die, most of the cows will att him and you go in and ww the crud out them. im sure at lvl 80+ you can kill cows pretty easy. i produce more revenue with my barb doing this than my mf sorc with 500+ mf doing andy,meph,and pindle runs combined. just my 2 cents and hope your luck picks up :)

also if anyone could tell me about pit run and what they are, apreciated.

17. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Pindle/Eldrich is by far the best run for finding godly uniques and rares. If you don't mind the repetitiveness.

18. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

The pit is a level 85 area in the Tamoe Highlands in Act 1 where all monsters are level 85. in my experience the enemies are really easy yet drop fairly good items and you can do it very quickly. Best way to get there is start at the outer Cloister wp and follow the path back throught the THighlands - when it splits the south path will take you to the Black Marsh so go the other way.

I may try your idea of doing cows, earlier today I killed baal for the quest so I can open it now. Should have a little more mf than 63% with my Nagelring and Gheeds.

19. dlscowby

dlscowby IncGamers Member

thanks for the info on pit. now if i were you, take off ALL of the extra mf gear you have for cows. you dont want any magic items dropping at all...substitute a bk ring if you can afford in place of nagel, or any ring you like just not mf...gheeds in stash would help too, but in order for the sup,eth, and socketables to drop you want little or no mf. but it is totally up to you, cows MAY drop good magic items...i wouldnt know :D i just get the eth stuffs and at almost an ist apeice...its good