Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Endtroducing...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ghoultek, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ghoultek

ghoultek IncGamers Member

Endtroducing...

Hello everyone... /wave

Google lead me to the forums and after doing some reading I figured I would join. I recently found my D2 and expack disks that were stored away ages ago, while doing to spring/summer cleaning. This was a great find me as I was looking for some low cost entertainment. I was surprised to find and active D2 community. So, an active community would be another great find.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any saved game files so I will be starting from scratch. However, I don't remember beating the game so I don't think its a major loss. I want to start 2 characters; an Amazon and a Sorceress. I've considered a lightning build for the Sorceress but I haven't decided on a build for the Amazon. Any advice or opinions for or against a Sorceress lightning build? I'm sure there are guides on the web, but are there any highly recommended guides I should read? Any advice or opinions on a build for an Amazon?

Thanks.

2. sylecn

sylecn IncGamers Member

3. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

Re: Endtroducing...

Fishymancer's a good bet for your first char. Can own without being gear dependent.

From there, you can build the MF sorc or even MF up the fishymancer, and branch out to any char you please in minimal time.

Good luck.

4. ghoultek

ghoultek IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice. Off to print/read the Beginner's guide. Just a small question... I found a sword that says "adds 4-7 cold damage", is the cold damage added to both a spell cast and a melee swing or only one of the two attack types.

5. sylecn

sylecn IncGamers Member

Elementary damage on weapon only apply to melee attacks, not to spell cast.

6. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

My grammar police sence is killing me with the title of this post.

Anywho, welcome to ze forums!

7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I suggest doing a barb in 1.09, load up on gear (especially Raven Claw that's bugged when moved to 1.10+), then rush hellforge in 1.10s to make overpowered Crescent Moon and Call to Arms, and then twink your character to the gills in 1.13. But, I'm a bit of an oddball here.

8. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

I can accept the post's title because D2 is the end-all, be-all video game. Welcome to the last game you'll ever *need* to play. :D

Though here in the states, we'd spell one of your words "sense," so my grammar police are on high alert, too. :crazyeyes:

Anywho, glad to have another fresh face around the SPF, ghoultek! Sounds like a weird Final Fantasy III/VI spectral-robot walker.

Let us get to know you in the dailies and the EMB. Join some tourneys which force you to think around corners and help tighten your skills. And be sure to ask questions 'cuz people around here love to be helpful!

As for your build choices, you can read guides 'til your brain's ready to explode. So remember that you also have to make characters that you think will entertain and be fun for you. There's no need to make a character you'll find boring because then you won't play at all!

Again, glad to have you on board. See ya 'round! :wave:

9. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

LMAO I'm going to have lots of fun in this crowd. Thanks for all of the quick feed back. The grammar police is all good. It will keep me on my toes. The post title was borrowed from the album title, of the same name, by DJ Shadow. My personal interpretation on the album title is: Begin with the end in mind (and work backwards to the beginning).

@RobbyD: you lost me in your post. Load up on gear? Yes please :).

@TheReadMenace: you kinda read my mind... I'm looking for some fun/entertainment and the challenge that goes with it.

Off topic: Here is an example of DJ Shadow's music --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32X-ieCav-M&feature=related

Edit back on topic:
    Sasja's guide (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254070) is pretty well detailed on a Meterorb build. However, the quoted post by Eilo Rytyj (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671691), Eilo has a different build that he calls Meterorb but it seems to be based on boosting fireball damage and is heavily dependent on Tal Rasha gear set. So my questions are:
    - which is really the meteorb build to shoot for?
    - maybe Eilo's build should be called Tal Rasha's Max Fire Ball (no offense to Eilo... I'm just a tad confused)?
    - how good is the Tal Rasha set and how hard is it to get?
    - should a max fireball or meteor damage?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

Base the Meteorb build off of what you'd find more fun to play. Are you more prone to using Orb or Meteor? Go by that, although she is a cookie cutter go for preference.

Also, Tals can be a pain in the arse to find. The amulet evades most people for a long time, luckily for me I found my tals ammy on normal meph when I first restarted. You'd probably be best running a bugged NM andy for that, which could also net you a SoJ if you're lucky. The tals armor would come from either a lucky quest drop, or abusing a level 85 area or pindle for a while.

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Mantis = ghoultek?

12. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I thought that this thread was a farewell thread ie. somebody ending their D2 career.

But anyways: Read this guide to get to know how to build a meteorb.

I personally say that for first character you should take a fishymancer as it doesn't need any equipment. You can use him to boostrap your meteorb and after that the sky is the limit.

13. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

I, too, am confused. :scratchhead:

I had forgotten that DJ Shadow had an album called "Thread Title." The only album I'm familiar with is the Private Press, but that's a seriously good one. I always mean to try more of his music, but I never seem to remember his name when it comes time to "acquire" new albums.

BTW, I'm a pretty big electronic music freak. So if you're an audiophile, be sure to drop a few more musical names. We love D2 here, but we also delve into Off Topic frequently.

Oh, and the Meteorb that uses Fireball instead of Meteor can be called an Orballer, too. I much prefer them to Meteorbs. Meteors can hurt more and have a larger splash damage iirc, but it's a timered spell along with Frozen Orb. Also, there's delay betwen casting and the meteor falling, so it's sometimes difficult to keep enemies in place while you wait for the rock to drop. Fireballs, on the other hand, can be cast very quickly with enough Faster Cast Rate, plus they often put enemies into stunlock when they're powerful.

14. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

My two cents worth here is to suggest the "Blizz-Baller" build as a fine option to the Meteorb build. I find Blizzard to be FAR more useful than Meteor, in my humble opinion. The rest of the build functions pretty much the same way.... spam Fireball or Ice Blast (depending on immunities) with timered Blizz casts in-between. If you spread the points properly you can even have a respectable Meteor to timer-cast when everything is Cold Immune.
    Tal's set rocks for dual-tree sorceresses. There is a STRONG argument that full Tal's gives the best combination of power and magic find to a dual-tree sorc. I subscribe to that theory myself. The armor and amulet will be tough to find though! Even the orb can be a pain to find at times. You'll have a dozen Tal's helms before long though, and they do make good merc hats.
    If you're going to use RuneWord Mod, which allows Ladder-only runewords in single-play, then an Insight stick for your Act 2 merc is highly recommended to fuel your mana hungry spells.
    More info on various mods and utilities in the stickies at the top of the SP forum!

Until you can get Tal's, keep an eye out for staples such as Skin of the Vipermagi. Or make a "Smoke" runeword (Nef + Lum) armor and a "Lore" runeword (Ort + Sol) helm. If you can get a 4os Monarch shield and don't mind the point investment in STR, a Spirit runeword is awesome. Spirit also can be in a weapon as well, a 4os crystal sword is a fine option.

Don't get too hung up on gear, have fun exploring and trying new items as you find them!

OT: Electronic music? Maybe some trip-hop-ish sort of stuff? Endless Blue, Jute, Massive Attack, Portishead.... mmmm, tasty! DJ Shadow is good stuff too!