Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Endless MF discussion

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Cerebron, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

Endless MF discussion

My friend is a philosophy major, and he argued that,

"The fun of playing D2X is the possession of a hope. I enjoy the feeling that every moment your wield your wand, the Lord of the Ruins, Zod, may drop from the hand of the evil."

He's the weirdest kid in our group, by the way.

If you don't have high MF, you don't find good stuff. If you dont'f find good stuff, you don't get high MF. So..... what? I've got 175 MF now after searching for pTopazs crazily. I know most of you have ~500 MF. I just like to know how you feel when your MF is that high. Does everything drop have a golden title?

2. wickedWinter

wickedWinter IncGamers Member

The first 250-300 %MF is the most important. More than that is preferable, but you can be successful with anything over 250. And yeah, you can be successful with less than that, too.

Just make sure you do the best runs given your needs/wants. Also, playing a cookie-cutter, easy character build helps.

Then run, run, run. Be patient.

I have a few different runs:
    1. NM boss run. This is usually done to have my merc catch up with me in levels. Typically, I hit Mephisto, Diablo, then Baal. Occasionally I do Travincal and Andariel if I'm bored.

2. Hell Pit run. This has been beaten to death, but it's a fantastic run. It's really not that hard once you figure it out and have a merc that's up to snuff.

3. Hell Diablo/Baal. They can be a bit tough without good items, but very rewarding.

3. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Certain things that have worth are independent of MF. Runes, Jewels (non rare/unique) and charms (non-gheeds) are their own treasure classes and are chosen before MF even drops.

Certain sought after items are actually MORE common with no MF... namely socketed items... when you're looking for that 6 socket ethereal polearm for BotD, low MF is better... you could take these finds and get what you need from them.

Granted it's slower than actually having MF, but because you can find very valuable things with no MF doesn't make this a catch-22 chicken-egg scenario.

4. Omni_

Omni_ IncGamers Member

GenXCub - I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone thinks that you have to be rich to have nice things, but how do these people think the rich got rich.

There are so many ways to increase your net worth in D2. Collect P Gems (rubies & amethyst) and find that Uber rich guy who is trying to craft a nice ammy or reroll the stats on an item.

You could do Countess Runs in NM and collect a stash of Amn/Sol runes and then trade those to the crafters.

You could get 7 p topaz and find yourself a 3 socket helm and 4 socket armor put in P topaz and mf places that you can manage without your normal fighting gear.

Bottomline is just be creative and try to find a way to turn the items that you think are crap into something a little bit more valuable until you can afford that 1 dream item...then rinse and repeat.

In .09 I would go to Norm games and pay ppl 10K gold per chip gem and then trade 40 chips for something decent...i didn't need the gold and the new chars could use it to buy items along the way.

5. Bonerr

Bonerr Banned

"The fun of playing D2X is the possession of a hope. I enjoy the feeling that every moment your wield your wand, the Lord of the Ruins, Zod, may drop from the hand of the evil."

umm......b4 u start mfing you should smack your friend in the head real hard to get his head straightened up =P hehe just playing i just felt like posting the quote :D

6. DvWizard

DvWizard IncGamers Member

Mf, Mf, MF.... I just got tals armor in hell pits with a wopping 0 mf....
    Its all luck, but I just put 300+ mf on my guy anyway.

7. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

I do probably on average 2-3 hrs of Mephisto Hell runs a day with 600+ MF. With my FO sorc, it takes around 2-3 min from start to finish.

In total, each day I probably get about 20 normal sets/uniques, 15 exceptional sets/uniques, and 8 elite sets/uniques. Probably on average I only keep about 10 items a day and sell the rest.

However, most of the time I only get maybe 2 items a day that I am really looking for or want, so most of the stuff goes to mules or back to the merchants.

8. Cerebron

Man, I think you should go to Vegas instead of the Pit. :)

9. Cerebron

I'm jealous. Do you see the tent in the Rogue Encampment? That should be your stockroom! :)

10. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Currently, the highest value possession I have is a Herald of the Zakarum... bought with a cold skills charm. Probably found with no mf (I forget which character found it, but none of my chars are set up for MF now...)

11. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

Does the necromancer minions making the kill count as using the necromancer's MF or does the necro have to land the kill blow for that?

12. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

you ppl are quite right, mf is the only thing keep me in the game now, there is a fake sense of hope, the hope of performing better then my D2 peer (namely you lot), with all the umber gear that I find or trade. And the hope that my necro is more flexible then all those zon and sorc (boner become summoner with the right gear for party play).

The best thing I have find with mf so far is that fastest x bow gut siphon. Fun that it actually kill thing in hell, but not so fun coz it take 15 bolt to down a devilkin in 1 player hell game, compare to 2 Bone spear with my normal gear.

But the best items that are most useful to me came without any mf gear, they are shako, Golem lord wand, rune for white, lidless wall, acorn plate with 2 socket stealth runes, gore rider, trang glove and trang armour.

So as you see, mf is fun, and occasionally you might pick up something good, but that is not always the case, I have been to the pit for many times, apart from the x bow, the next best thing I got was a IK maul.

13. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Skellies do inherit the player's MF, just like mercs do

I do think i'd rather like your friend Cerebron, indeed it is hope, but isn't false hope when that lovely uB3R 1337 pwnz0r m4d blah blah drops ;).

Mfing is fun...and the funnest part is like what happened to me on ladder is I was only going to use partial trangs (I had traded for the sheild, belt, and gloves) until I found the helm doing eldritch. Now i'm goin' full trangs and I didn't really think to beforehand...lol...that's the other fun part...building your char.

:thumbsup:

14. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

I just did pit // Trav// Mephy and scored Trangs Armor and Herald of Zakurum.

*Runs off to do D*

~Kbob

15. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

sit a while and listen.....

Back when 'Summon-wyrm' was just starting on the ladder (3 weeks ago) He was unable to be twinked.... Now during the course of play I was LUCKY enough to find a 21% mf ring with a fire resist mod in norm... this was my only MF.... During a Ball run for experience I was able to snag a set of 29% chance guards from some greedy barbs off of baal (lvl 25).... ON other runs I was able to pick up another ring 20% mf (I pick up all the blue rings I can carry hoping one day to find a 40% MF... I think it's possible)... That was all the mf I had.... Now in nm I did find useful stuff but nothing MF until act 5.... Then I Found what I was looking/hoping for ... An alibabba... So lets recap by the time I reached NM ancients for the first time I had accumulated 22,21,29,and a babba. NOT amazing MF is it.... here's where it gets interesting... MY MF hasn't been productive at all for getting Tremendous gear.. but I was able to find some TRADEABLE items. +3 assin MA ammy I got Ethereal guardian angel, for a Cold Skill charm I got arm of Leoric, couple of freebies (silkweaves, and trangs armor) and I traded a maul for peasants crown.... Still no additional MF... Now I continued to quest into hell and I did find another babba which is now my first choice b/c the damage was better. (why does damage concern me?... well I like swinging my weapon around).... Still no additional MF.... Gheed's fell when I was lvling from eldritch/shenk/pindle runs... I believe it was shenk.. It was only a 23% one but it works... later a 3% mf dropped.
    So let's total again... at this point I have 22,21,29,23,76(babba) total 151... Not great... Now I continue to build the mf on babba with lvls... Find more tradeable stuff but nothing uber... LAST NIGHT... I get a 3 socket demonhead I stuff 3 Ptopaz in it and now my total is 251 (clvl 82)... Immediately I run eldritch (IK gloves), Pindle +1 Druid circlet, Pits, Stealskull (45% MF) I put that on merc so now he has MF too. (switched from a tal's mask)... So on a merc kill I have my 251+45=296 total MF... I also Found a Lycander's aim from a normal carver on my way to pits from Outer Cloister. So I mule it all thinking it's time for some serious MF runs... 2 pits,trav,shenk,pindle, and eld turn up nothing great.. Elite white drops like mad... Found lots of ogre axes (hoping for a unique... no luck)... My last run in pits last night was the best. ran all the way to pit lvl 2 nothing.. and I mean nothing... only gold and pots were dropping.... Then I popped into the "basement room" Bang Green mesh boots (Nat's).... Bam Gold War Boots (Trav's-35%) So end of night total... MF 286....

Lets compare this to my 1.09 MF zon... her total mf on body is 591/ merc 165 so total on merc kill is 756... GOD's Honest truth... I've only found Griz armor since patch with her... Nothing else worth anything at all... and NO unique drops.... (50 total meph/pit runs)

MF... I find at 200-300 range I find more useful stuff on the ladder.... So All math calculations aside and talk of diminishing returns... MF is LUCK... some games are good others bad. Best we can hope for is to have a good game once in a while.

And YES MF DOES TRANSFER TO SKELLIE KILLS... My char described above is total summoner with CE.

16. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

My javazon, who has 5% MF (a charm she's been holding onto) has had a ton of uniques drop in the last couple of games... they're all "Helm", "full helm", "kite shield" and the like... I always feel like I've wasted good luck on crap items though.