End of the road for patches?

Comage

Diabloii.Net Member
End of the road for patches?

Hello folks, been away from these forums for quite some time. Had been busy with work, and only recently had the time to fire up D2x back in my rig.

Having been away for so long, I was wondering if v1.11b is slated to be the last patch to be released for Diablo 2? Or are there rumours that another patch is due for release anytime in the future?

Thanks for reading, and have a good weekend, y'all. :)

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd imagine they might come out with more. No one thought we'd get one after 1.09 but blizzard suprised us. Don't see why they can't do it again.

EnerSense

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello folks, been away from these forums for quite some time. Had been busy with work, and only recently had the time to fire up D2x back in my rig.

Having been away for so long, I was wondering if v1.11b is slated to be the last patch to be released for Diablo 2? Or are there rumours that another patch is due for release anytime in the future?
Back in August, Blizzard asked for feedback on how to improve D2 LoD. Whether this was to take info for a future patch or future game, who knows? Either would be nice. Here's a link to the thread. Just go to the bottom of the page to see the suggestions that were submitted.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?FN=d2-general&T=1255812&P=9

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I think they will release another patch eventually. I've been wrong in the past though.

-hps

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
I think (hope) the reason they asked for those suggestions is so they can make a final patch for the game, and then not have to worry about it anymore. That's probably also the reason they're spending some time releasing it; no point in making a "final" patch if it's going to be bugged :)

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
On the subject of a patch, I don't know, on the one hand it's an old game, on the other, they still did not get it right (all bugs ironed out) after all these years and they might try again. That said, I hope a patch would be just that, bugfixes, although I wouldn't mind if they'd throw in a few low level runewords as well. Extra content would better be provided in the form of another expansion or Diablo III. Since I think that the graphics could use a major overhaul, to get to standard scaling, a whole new engine is what is called for, so in other words, the next episode, not an expansion. If they'd program it so it would run with only minor modifications on various operating systems, all the better, in other words, no microsoft closed standards crap, but open standards. Although the game works fine under wine, I'd prefer to run it under linux natively.

On the subject of a release date, my guess is the following: around the same time as Elite 4, Duke Nukem Forever, and a version of windows that is stable and can be used for things other than games by having standard tools such as the unix coreutils build in.

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
Patch? Christmas/New Year I reckon. :tongue:

Duke Nukem Forever? Is that still being developed/released?

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Patch? Christmas/New Year I reckon. :tongue:

Duke Nukem Forever? Is that still being developed/released?
I read not so long ago (in the order of a few weeks to a few months) that work on it had started yet again. Already last year it got a lifetime achievement vaporware award.

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone remember that thread that polled whether a new patch after 1.10 would come out and it was like 100 no's and 2 yes's?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone remember that thread that polled whether a new patch after 1.10 would come out and it was like 100 no's and 2 yes's?
I'm sure their were several, and I know I was one of the people voting "no." I'd probably vote no for a 1.12 patch as well. I'm still convinced that the post asking for suggestions was really just some poor Blizz forum mod trying to cut down on the whining that had been going on at the Blizz forums. :wink3:

nazgarok

Diabloii.Net Member
There are some unique item names in diablo 2 data files but they don't have item and stats defined. This might be a sign that there will be a new patch (at least I am hoping so).