Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enchantress viable in HC?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by nebby, Feb 11, 2004.

1. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Enchantress viable in HC?

Hi all, just a quickie to ask if any enchantresses out there have been able to survive without a big party in HC.

I've asked the questions in the sorcie forum, but I'd rather have the HC answers.

- I plan on having the merc do the damage, while I stay outta the way... act 2: defiance - HF - might?

- should I even bother with hydra as a support spell? Its right there, after enchant, just begging to be used... too underpowered? Too thin of a point spread (see below)? I'm gonna have a chunk o points in FM anyway...

- I'd like to add in a cold spell, to help with the FIs, and slow the beasties down a bit. Maxed FO would require a final investment of 27 points, maxed Blizz 26. Too few points left over?

- Does anyone play sorcs with no ES anymore? I stopped doing that last sorc in 1,10, but the points investment are kinda steep. Worth it for an enchantress?

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

GrnEggs retired his ** Enchantress I believe, so he'll most likely give you some sound advice, but I'll see what I can do.

Just Enchanting your Merc and using a couple of support skills doesn't sound like it'd be very effective to me. Merc's can be pretty unreliable without godly gear, and even with godly gear they do their share of dying. I'd recommend having your +to Enchant gear on a weapon switch while throwing a Kuko on your primary. You'll be surprised at how much dmg you can dish out. Angelic jewelery will give you tons of AR and life, and Holy Freeze will definitely be the Merc aura you'll need.

For skills you'll obviously be maxing Inferno, Warmth, and Fire Mastery. I think EShield is well worth the 4 pts spent in prereqs. You'll also need a pretty decent Static radius, as you'll not be holding a shield and don't want to get too close to the baddies. After that it's up to you whether you get Hydra or Orb (I'd stay away from Blizzard, it's power isn't realized until you max out a synergy or two). I think Hydra as yet another source of fire dmg would be a little redundant. Orb just remains the most convenient Sorc skill... decent killing power without any costly synergies, easy to use, good for single monsters and small packs.

That's about all I can think of having never played one. :teeth:

3. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Phat most of your suggestions are on target except 1. Why would you max inferno? It s not a synergy of Enchant and hardly a viable killing skill. Hydra would be a nice compliment to Enchant since it holds enemies in place making them easier to hit and Holy Freeze merc is deffinitely the way to go. I dont think youd need Angelic Jewelry for AR bonus since Enchant adds to it anyways.

I have an Enchantress ive been working on purely for twinking purposes ( nothing like 1500 dmg at lvl 1 to speed up leveling ) but ive thought of actually trying to quest one

4. MintSauce

MintSauce IncGamers Member

using an explosive arrows bow makes ar pointless as it always hits, try a demonmachine for size too, my enchantress loves it. she's not build right to take hell tho. I see frozen orb a nice back up, you'll want a very fast merc weapon so he makes most of the fire dmg, maybe a reaper's infact, for very slow enemys :)

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Stimm, that was just me thinking faster than I can type. I was for some reason thinking about maxing Inferno after everything else because FM and Warmth would already be maxed, but I know it's pretty useless... ended up typing "Inferno" instead of "Enchant," DOH!

As for the AR issue, yes the explosive arrows do not need AR to hit, but they do need AR to pierce. Piercing through an entire pack of monsters will greatly increase your dmg output. I'm not quite sure if you need Angelic bling to pull off an adequate attack rating (Ravenfrost plus a charm or two is probably enough at higher lvls), but it's definitely the way to go at lower lvls.

6. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

No worries , i do it all the time. God Bless the edit feature. Angelic is def nice for low to mid lvls until you can eq kuko and or demon machine.

Hmm i think that its gonna be my next project

7. MintSauce

MintSauce IncGamers Member

well I have awful ar gear (it's to enchant lower levels to help them exp fast) and my pierce works well.

8. HR-Tecira

HR-Tecira IncGamers Member

For hell I switched to gimmershred and a shield to up my resists. I was with a party so did not need the aoe of the exploding arrows so much. I was a bit shocked by the damage she does with a gimmer. (11 k with questing gear) I had forgotten about the firemastery boosting all sources of fire damage on a weapon so with the big fire on the gimmer + the enchant fire it gets way up there hehe. For the hell of it I dumped my extra points into thunderstorm. FO would have been a better choice but I went for something different.

Her merc is a rogue merc with a dual shaeled whichwild string. She fires very fast :). Got my enchantress up to lvl 80 and now she is retired to helping out low lvl char duty. Makes the eary game go very fast when get 2k fire damage stuck on a new char.

9. smaug_806

smaug_806 IncGamers Member

Then there's the MongoJerry approach, with various runewords to make the monsters go way down in defense or get confused, zealing to make the confuse curse go off, and so forth. It definitely is possible to solo in hell, as he did it.

10. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Another approach: use Eternity to revive monsters and enchant all of them.

11. Sip

Sip Banned

Theres a new unique polearm that has a 10% chance to reanimate. Its like crypt something. I am not exactly sure how it works, or if it works on a merc. But i reckon if it works the way i think it does, an act 2 might merc could ressurect a nice army that you can enchant.

I do have an enchantress around level 70 at the moment for enchant level 1 characters and its pretty cool. I only use her as a support character. from my observations i think something like this would rock:

Max enchant
    Max warmth (synergy of inferno)
    Max fire mastery
    Max inferno

This would give you some supreme fire damage. Inferno on my enchant sorc is very low, but if i maxed it, my damage would be really secks. Since Warmth is not only a synergy for enchant, but inferno too, its worth a shot.

12. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

OOOhhh. Now there's a thought...my army of fire-enchanted revives! Go forth and kill!

Ah. Hmmm. Of course there's just the small matter of ber and sur runes...anyone throwing any of those away?

Heh. Nice thought anyway. Lol, I don't even have a kuko hanging around for her. Maybe its time my MF trapper hit up Andy for one...

13. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Wait a minute- I just got this- you mean if I use a 5Pruby weapon, + fire damage charms, they all get boosted by FM? Hmmmm.

I always get excited when I can make the most of my uber-ghetto gear. Gogo SalvationArmy Sorc!

14. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

Hey looks like everything has basically been covered here but I will go ahead and add in some things. In NM you will demolish everything in 1-2 shots at most, but even so I was afraid I would not have enough damage for hell (I was naive and this was my 2nd character ever to make it to hell and first was barb and he sucked hehe). So I ended up maxing Firewall and it kills decent aswell so basically my strat was to cast firewall then fire 2 arrows then recast firewall. But if I were to rebuild I would try 1 of 2 things, I would either max orb as stated before or I would load up on lotsa lightning damage charms and max Lightning Mastery. I haven't tested it but I would assume that the lightning damage would be carried over in the fire explosion just like the fire damage is. With lightning mastery enhanceing all the lightning damage and enchant already doing insane dmg I would think you could take down a pack of just about anything.

15. zerokid

zerokid IncGamers Member

Why don't you just make a normal sorc and use Demon Limb, while still dropping some points in Fire Mastery (I'm not sure if it boosts your Enchant damage) ?

EDIT : Oh, nevermind. T.T'' Warmth is a synergy, and there are not enough charges to use it properly and the cost to repair it is very high. =\

16. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I've had 4 enchantresses, and 3 have died at lvl 50+. I've never lost another HC character in 1.10 (above lvl 25 anyway).

So although I think my enchantresses are cursed, heres the deal.

Enchant will take out anything not fire immune. Once you get enchant to lvl 30 or so (not too hard with +skill items - you can enchant your merc in town and have it last 15 mins) you never worry about non-fire-immunes. Of course I played in parties, so it might be a bit different with only a merc. If the revive thingy works, then you definitely don't need another fire skill.

Instead, I'd recommend frozen orb. I'll take the 'heat' off your merc in any case whether hes fighting fire immunes or any other immunes (except cold). And as stated, it does decent damage w/o any synergies, and with a relatively low mastery (8 base or so and then +skills).

Demon machine or kuko are good bows for enchantress. Demon machine is supposed to be WAY better due to the firing rate for sorcs and bows. (Its weird, but she fires demon machine way faster than kuko). And a little known trivia about enchant, is the sorcs fire mastery gets applied TWICE on the sorceress herself. I've heard the char stat screen is bugged regarding real enchant damage, and that you have to understand that fire mastery is applied twice on the sorc herself. So you (with a good bow like demon machine) will do incredible fire damage.

Warning: I had kuko, magefist, etc, and died to a nasty boss pack combo (2 bosses) of black souls in NM worldstone lvl 2. Using a bow puts you in a lot more danger than with a sheild, so beware. But the piercing+killing power you will have is really hard to resist trying anyway.

As far as ES, when I do use it, I always just use it on switch anyway, saving me the points. A point in frozen armor is more worth it, imo.