Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enchantress in HCL

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by BipolarTemp, Mar 10, 2004.

1. BipolarTemp

BipolarTemp IncGamers Member

Enchantress in HCL

I really wanted to make a melee enchantress for HCL (in case you couldn't guess :scratch: ) but everything I've read about them says they're very equipement dependent. That poses quite a problem for me as I usually play untwinked because I absolutely hate magic-finding. I plan on generally playing with one other friend (we're not sure what he's going to be; any suggestions are welcome) and we'd only play in public games for Tristram/Sewers/Arcane runs to 24 in normal.

Now I'm not usually one to ignore the guides (where it says the enchantress is equipment dependent) but I tend to consider myself a decent player (I've been playing on and off since the original Diablo) so I'm wondering if I can make due without the big items. Another big problem is my playing style in that I'll get lazy or tired but keeping playing anyway and get myself killed (goodbye 79 wind druid :lol: ) so I'll have to keep myself in check here.

My main question (now that I've typed my book) would be is it possible/probable to keep a melee enchantress alive in hardcore ladder without great, ahem, without good items?

Finally, I was looking at the runes for Beast but since I don't mf, I haven't bothered much with rune words so I don't know how hard those runes are to find. Is it probable that I might find them throughout the course of the game? I don't want to get my hopes up if it's pointless though. Thanks for the help, in advance.

2. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Playing moderately (sounds like you are), *finding* the runes for just about ANY of the 1.10 runewords is very distant. There are alternatives though. Still, if you feel like playing legitly, then you are outside the ladder market. At least for the high runes.

Your best bet is probably to take as many chars, and as fast as possible, to NM and Hellforge quests. It's that or trading, which is, to say the least, "shady".

3. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

The answer is yes.

I started mine with nothing.
    She still wears Lore helm, Vipermagi (which I found along the way), rare +2 orb, visceratuant, magefist, +2 fire ammy (with prismatic am in inventory). Kuko on switch. Better weapons yet to wield include demon machine and gimmershreds.
    She's about lvl 71.

4. BipolarTemp

No Bear for me

Yeah, I just looked at the rune scarcity listing and kissed Beast goodbye. I'll never get that high and I'm more into actually playing the game rather than running characters through to Hell and Nightmare Hellforge quests. And since I don't magic find, I have nothing to trade. Maybe I'll go for Passion. At least in that runeword there's only two runes I'll never find :lol: . I celebrated when I found a SINGLE Shael rune..... :buddies:

Thanks for the support Cleglaw (even though some of those items seem rare to me) I'm pretty sure I can pull it off and at least get far enough to have some fun before I get myself killed on something stupid. Trust me, I will. Thanks for the help.

5. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi,

I've played in a team with an enchantress and she was a very valued member of the team, and not just because of her 'enchant'. She also had a wide range static, which she'd first zap the monsters with, then use her enchanted bow to finish them off. Quite effective.

You need patience for this build if you play alone, much more fun to be with others.

Good luck.

Syxx

6. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Completely doable.

Melee go with swords. If you find a Flamebellow in your questing, put that in the switch. They are gear dependant, but you can suit up, Enchant, and then put your other-than-enchanting gear on.

7. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

you might find one of these bows too, its a velatively low lvl item...

raven claw long bow

Two-Hand Damage: (4-5) To (16-17) (10-11 Avg)
    Required Level: 15
    Required Strength: 22
    Required Dexterity: 19
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +60-70% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Fires Explosive Arrows [Level 3]
    50% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +3 To Dexterity
    +3 To Strength

or...

hellcast hvy x-bow

Two-Hand Damage: (23-25) To (44-46) (33.5-35.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 27
    Required Strength: 60
    Required Dexterity: 40
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +70-80% Enhanced Damage(varies)
    Fires Explosive Arrows Or Bolts [Level 5]
    Adds 15-35 Fire Damage
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +70 to Attack Rating
    15% To Max Fire Resist
    Fire Resist +15%

both fire explosive arrows so they "always" hit making you not have to worry about AR. and both being normal uniques are easier to come by than...say...a kuko

this is just something i did in classic. i am still trying to find myself eather of these, IMO the raven claw is better due to speed but eather would be a nice addition.

8. BipolarTemp

Thanks for the equipment selection choices everyone. I'm going for mostly melee but keeping a bow on switch is a good idea. I know it's been thoroughly discussed, but will Energy Shield help keep me alive against elemental? I know it will bottom out my mana but mana pots are cheap and I'd rather have my mana taken out and forced to town portal to town with some health left than die.

9. myolosolo

myolosolo IncGamers Member

These sorcs are awesome. Once I was starting a new sorc for the fun of it and another sorc come into my game with 5 other ppl while we were doing black marsh. She goes do you guys want enchant, of course we said OK. After that about 10 minutes later a pker comes in and hostlies all of us and we started laughing. We said we are in the black marsh if you want to kill us. So the said loser comes to the black marsh and our mercs kill him. I started laughing and said "that is what you get for trying to pk us", Anyways enchantes are fun and helpful.

10. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

bipolartemp,

To get items such as magefist, visceratuant etc, save your pgems and trade for them!
    You can get some good low-mid items these days for a few perfect gems.
    Lore is just Ort, Sol.
    Stealth is a decent armour until you can get a +1 skiller e.g. Viper/Spirit shroud/Silks of Victor, etc.

11. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

The best bows are kuko and demon machine. I've used kuko, and its really slow, but does crazy damage with high lvl enchant (25+). Demon machine is all-around better for an enchantress I hear, but i've not found one.

lvl 1 Energy sheild is a very good idea: The reason is that you rarely have to cast enchant (it lasts 10-15 minutes), so your mana will always be full, unless you use static or teleport a lot. And remember you'll have max warmth (synergy to enchant). So full mana + energy sheild = free extra life.

Here's a tip at getting a great enchant staff since you won't be twinking:

Shop act2 normal drognan until you see a non-magic 2 socket staff with +2 enchant. This took me about 30-45 minutes of shopping. Then make 'leaf' (tir-ral I think) which gives +3 fire skills, and you already have +2 enchant on it ..... for +5 to enchant and +3 mastery (total) which is hard to beat. Thats what I use on switch. It certainly CAN be beat, but its hard to find better in a reasonable time with reasonable resources -- I still use mine at lvl 70.

Anyway lvl 28 enchant with lvl 25 mastery is quite doable untwinked, and you'll do about 1300 fire damage with that (on your merc --- double that on yourself). Thats enough to take out hell monsters fairly quickly but you'll have to watch getting mobbed (hence a bow is better). Getting higher skill levels makes the damage go up crazy (several thousand dmg and as much as 15,000 dmg I've heard) but its impossible with non-uber gear of course.

If you plan to party, summoner necros are the best teammates OF ALL. With many minions all doing 1500 fire damage and lower resist, you can duo 8 player games and kill quickly with an enchantress+necro. And their minions keep you safe. I've never lost a HC character in 1.10 higher than lvl 30 except for the 4 (yes FOUR!) enchantresses I lost. Either mine are cursed, or they're too fragile for my taste (I just use mine to enchant my necro using 2 cd-keys).

12. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Was just going to suggest the same thing :)

Indeed, tis Tir + Ral (At the very latest, you should get a Ral in act V standard =)

13. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

My little enchantress is using the demon machine and I think it's a good weapon. My Enchant is at level 26. My resistances aren't where I'd like them to be so I thought I'd have a switch weapon/shield set up. I have Hexfire, but no shield yet.

I saw some guy with a level 31 Enchant. How the hell (excuse me) did he get a level 31 enchant? I figure I could bump up a few more levels but not much.

Masa

14. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

SoJ/Enigma/CoH/GCs ?

Dunno... could be it =]

15. stemis516

stemis516 IncGamers Member

with a stash full of fire skill charms and godly equip 31 could be beat easily

16. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

+3 fire skills circlet
    +3 fire skills amulet
    +3 enchant Ormus
    +1 shield
    +6 enchant orb
    +1 fire skills gloves
    +1 belt

Theres lvl 38 w/o charms or sojs

17. det

det IncGamers Member

Yeah right...especially the +3 enchant Ormus drops every day for me.

About Kuko being slow: I use Sigons gloves and belt, Shaeled Kuko and sometimes wear a Twitchthrow (when I quest in"safe" areas). It's pretty fast that way :)

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

I have an Enchant Ormus. Spawned Ethereal too. lol

Found it back in December and kept it for whenever I decided to build an Enchanter. Glad I never traded it, because the value (even ethereal) is WAY over the top.

19. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

Hi, 1 question,

How does enchant go with a pure summoner(necro), i know it is good for his skellies, but how about the mages and the revives.
    Has enchant to be cast again on the minions or is 15-20 min on the necro himself enough?
    I like to give my necro a boost with my sec. comp and sec. keyset.
    (Also very nice with muling, and maybe i do make a BO barb aswell, i think some unfair duellers/pk's do the same).

CU

20. det

det IncGamers Member

No, in my experience you need to enchant all skel...and it is for physically damage weapons only, so mages are not helped by it, I think. A revived slinger would profit from it though with his spear..or a corrupt rogue.

If you think using a second PC is cheating, you must use a demon limb. I love to use a second PC to give BO and Enchant..hel..I could buy a third copy of the game and hook up my Laptop as well :lol: