Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enchant question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Enchant question

Ok...since I'm already doing an ES sorc, I might as well take the next step and go for a ES melee sorc =)

What I'm wondering though:
    - Can Enchant be pre-buffed? That is, can I use a Leaf staff with +3 Enchant to cast it at +6 levels and then switch to another weapon? How about Energy Shield and Frozen Armor?
    - Fire Mastery triggers again on striking in melee if I'm not mistaken, I'd assume for the potential of the Fire Mastery at the current slvl. Say I cast Enchant at slvl 33 with a slvl 30 Fire Mastery for a 1603-1920 fire damage added and then switch to a Passion weapon. Fire mastery will then go to +212%. Does that mean each Zeal hit will get 5001-5990 fire damage added (considering no other fire damage sources)?
    - Do cold charms increase the freeze duration of Frozen Armor?

If prebuffing is possible and FM works like I think it does, this idea that's taking shape might be a real nice boss runner =) Somehow the thought of adding 25000-30000 fire damage on a Zeal has some appeal...especially since I think it can be done while maintaining max block and 75% resist all in hell, with a 50+% Energy Shield that regens like crazy. And if AR is an issue, I guess EthEthEthEth phase blade with 5000-6000 fire damage isn't a bad option either...

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Yes, it can be prebuffed.

From what I've read, you'd get the lesser FM applied as well as the FM at time of casting, so your numbers are right if you followed that line of reasoning.

Not sure about cold charms.

A weapon suggestion: Try a 3x Eth weapon and a 4x Eth weapon and see which gives the better chance-to-hit... 3 may work better than 4 if you have high enough AR (against normal monsters).

3. Zarhrezz

Considering the AR from dex couples with up to 80% increased AR plus the AR from Enchant, I'd say hit rate on normal monsters is enough...but for bosses, AR can fall short, especially in hell. Considering chance to hit is a product of two fractions, eliminating one fraction (by using 4 times Eth) has a considerable impact, wouldn't surprise me the difference between 3 and 4 Eth's would be in the order of 10-15% hit chance. I'll run some number somewhere next week I guess.

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Of course, with Eth being half-effect against Bosses, you could just go straight for 6 Eths for -75% defence. Because it's halved, you need more than 4 Eths to eliminate the AR/(AR+DR) part of the formula.

5. 6stringspanky

6stringspanky IncGamers Member

im lost.....

6. Zarhrezz

I've never seen this effect being mentioned anywhere. Where can I find the details on it?

7. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Not sure where you can find the info on it - not sure why you'd need to - but its very true. I think it was in the change log from the 1.1 patch update.

8. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

It sure can be pre buffed, i use the following switch with my melee sorc

Arch-Angel's Crystalline Globe of Simplicity
    One-Hand Damage: 10 to 26
    Durability: 60 of 60
    (Sorceress Only)
    Required Level: 42
    Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 53
    Fingerprint: 0x486cb156
    +57 to Mana
    +2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
    Requirements -30%
    +2 to Enchant (Sorceress Only)

and obtain 3700 - 6500 fire damage then add the buggy enchant bonus on top. Adding zeal to that is a good idea. Just make sure you can kill fire immunes.

:lol: you are crazy :lol:

9. Zarhrezz

Pffft, just cause I take base vitality sorcs into hell? I just dropped Duriel btw, one hell death this far (in the barracks, extra fast/mana burn stalker type, ran in and hit me (ES down)...while I was standing in the middle of a minion group of skeletal mages with my -80 resist all.

@Vajar: I didn't know about Eth not working too well on bosses and just wanted to double-check before changing weapon strategy. I've seen more than one guide that takes a EthEthEthEthShealSheal phase blade with CB equipment to take down bosses quickly. Apparently it's not just me who didn't know about the reduced effectiveness.

10. moi

moi IncGamers Member

I believe it's in blizz's patch.txt for 1.10. Not that I trust patch.txt much :lol: but there's nothing saying its not true either ;)

11. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Well they recommend that many eths because you need a few slots for shaels to increase your speed. I think they did know about reduced effectiveness. On a side note, -% target defense works at half the listed value for pvp too.

12. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Nice orb, but you can do a bit better. If you ever stumble upon a two-socket nonmagical staff with +2-3 Enchant and +2-3 Fire Mastery. Put the Leaf runeword (TirRal) in it and you have yourself one hell of a prebuffing utility.

13. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

no you're in hell !!!!

because ? 1/e2 +f(?x!4) / (V1 - V2) must be greater the 1/y in normal and 2?/3y in hell.

ask me if you don't andestand something else, i like to explain :flip:

14. brainfloss

brainfloss IncGamers Member

Sounds interesting, but...

How do you intend to use Zeal without a Passion weapon? :p

That is, if you intend to go the zeal/enchant route...

15. Zarhrezz

Main weapon will be Passion Phase Blade.
    I was looking for a switch options vs stuff with extreme high DR (Stone Skin) or higher than normal level differences (Bosses), in those cases eliminating the first part of the to_hit equation is far more important than getting more swings per second (since in those special cases, you'll be doing exactly that, swinging alot per second but doing little else).

16. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Just a little bit of nitpicking: if you could not use DR when you mean defensive rating, that'd be great. I kept reading damage reduction. Use def or defense instead.

17. Zarhrezz

I blame the Summit for putting their formulas like AR/(AR+DR) ;)