Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Enchant damage penalty for ranged?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by DudSpud, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

Enchant damage penalty for ranged?

Just switched my bowie's gloves to Lava's, and I went to check the bonuses that accrue when Enchant kicks in. Just what does this line in the AS Enchant description mean?

"[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Using Enchant on ranged weapons boosts the damage a variable amount."

I just checked my LCS - it says that rather than the 27-39 fire damage I would expect for a lvl 10 Enchant, I got 25-36. The LCS also told me enchant (visible by red weapon color) made a random sword also have +25-36 damage rather than the 27-39 listed on AS for lvl 10 enchant.

Wait, I think I just figured it out - the lvl 10 enchant fire damage on AS ASSUMES a lvl 1 Warmth, adding 9% to the fire damage of Enchant, which would take the slvl 10 25-36, found empirically, to the 27-39 listed at AS.

Still - is the LCS correct in saying that I do the same extra Enchant damage with ranged and melee weapons?

Thanks,
    TehSpud

PS - My searches of these fora have yielded no relevant threads.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

2. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Re: Enchant damage penalty for ranged?

I don't think there's any penalty to Enchant damage for ranged weapons, might be wrong though... Perhaps someone has tested it more thoroughly and knows for sure.

3. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

The AS is a bit confused.

First you have your normal Enchant damage, this is what it says on the skill description in the skill tree, or on your Enchant skill button. +% Fire damage (including FM) increases all Fire damage (including from Enchant) for melee attacks, and this is what it shows on the LCS *regardless if you are holding a melee or ranged weapon*.

Shortly put, if you want to know how much Enchant damage you do with a ranged weapon, look at the info on the skill button when you cast it. For melee weapons the LCS is accurate.

4. purplelocust

purplelocust Diabloii.Net Member

One thing that makes a difference for a sorc is that Fire Mastery boosts melee fire damage from all sources (enchant, charms, etc.) but not ranged damage. I think the LCS shows it with the FM counted for ranged and for melee the same. I beleive MongoJerry's guide has a good explanation about the mechanics there.

5. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

That's gonna be hard to do as Enchant is coming from my glove's "on striking" mod...

As for the Enchant/FM melee/ranged issue, I will take purplelocust's advice and check out MongoJerry's guide.

Thanks all!
    TehSpud

6. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

Since you are using Lavagouts the damage is negligible, and you don't need to worry about this. You can use a skill calculator though.

I already explained it to you. :p

7. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC all of the spell damages in the AS are synergized by one point in any pre req skill, which makes it inaccurate for a great deal of spells (blizzard, most notably).