Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Emotions of PK

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TopheavyHookjaw, Mar 22, 2004.

1. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Emotions of PK

One of the arguments that I'm tired of hearing is that "I don't know why people get upset when I kill their character...after all, its only a game."

Well, the fact of the matter is that we are all emotional. Granted, some more than others...but unless you think you're Vulcan (in which case your problems are a bit more serious), you are playing with some sort of emotion.

PKs play with the excitement of the challenge of the hunt, the anticipation of the kill and joy of success.

Normal players (PvM) play with the anticipation of being successful, of being higher level or using some stashed items. They can also experience the joy of the Elite Golden Item that drops or the pride in the successful completion of a character and the game.

Then there are the negative emotions that most victims of a PK will experience. Fear when the Hostile buzzer goes off, anger when the enjoyment of playing a particular character is no more and the depression when you realize all the cool stuff that was lost and the amount of time that will be needed to rebuild.

From a gaming perspective, it is to be expected that anyone who is PKed (when they are not dueling) will be a bit pissed off. If this were a live sport, that would be the equivalent of a personal foul. Now, since the act is in itself malicious and directed directly at the player (not just an accident that occurs during normal play) it usually results in a more serious penalty and a really pissed off victim. The player conducting the foul is usually seriously penalized and many times be ejected. This will many times also lead to a physical confrontation. It is little wonder as to why a person who is PKed is pissed at the hostile action that was personally directed towards them...especially when there will be no penalty for the action.

Killing off another player's character is also a lack of respect towards someone else's property and right to pursue their own path. In my opinion, that should not be allowed in the real world or the game world...but that is a story for another day.

Feel free to flame-

2. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Just stop.

TM

3. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Agreed, pk threads are just getting old.

4. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

Vulcan? Thats just silly.

At least it is to us Baalotians

5. senji

senji Banned

it goes both ways

6. Sip

Sip Banned

I hope I Pk you some day, and then you cry alot.

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

You know, I am one of the most outspoken against PKs around here along with a few others, and on my behalf and thiers this new post after new post to discuss what can be handled in one is more aggrevating than the PK!

One things that aggrevates mods more than anything is restarting a thread that was closed so I suggest you discontinue this crap or your post count will remain 10 and we wont see you anymore!

8. Dirty Don

Dirty Don IncGamers Member

The fact of the matter is PKing is really what makes HC for me. I don't PK, but I do PKK. I mean, it's not like it's hard to avoid PKers. It's really not.

I can understand if someone get killed by a hack, that is understandable. But if you die to a regular PKer, it's because you were not paying attention.

9. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Personal fouls and penalties are not allowed in the rules of sports, pking is specifically allowed for in diablo.
    And yes, despite me posting in many of them, it is getting a little old, they are fun, but not 10 of them a week.

-Matt

10. BtK-radth

BtK-radth IncGamers Member

*starts taking some practice swings with his flame stick*

god, topheavy really reminds of gss...

11. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

If i see another pk thread im going to steal zappas double shaeled banning stick of quickness and ban someone! If i was mod i would rule the worl... er i mean ban this thread starter :)

12. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

ROTFLMAO ... I'm just not going there.