Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Emotions(not touchy feely)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Mar 31, 2005.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Emotions(not touchy feely)

Brought on my merging two threads in my head, do you think it is easier to remember certain emotions? How about describe?

I think rage is the easiest to remember and describe. Just all out hatred and wanting to kill someone else. You can hear your heart in your ears, face gets hot(but there is a cold sweat), and you can't sit still at all.

Ironically, but not surprisingly, I find love the hardest to remember and describe. I mean how many people have tried to define love for someone else? It always ends up being some metaphorical thing about self sacrifice. . . or pie, whatever.

Could this be for survival? Rage would be more likely to come in handy for self continuation than love. Remembering what that is like to better control it next time is a nice thing to have. Or is it chemical? More chemicals associated with love than rage? Maybe love is more of a variance from normality than rage?

I dunno, if you can't tell I am trying hard not to do my Spanish.

2. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

In a nutshell, I believe the more primitive emotions are the easiest to describe because they are simple, based in the lizard-cortex or whatever catchword of the day is used.

As an intelligent, complex social animal, I think love is an emotion not felt or understood by most, if not all, of the 'lower' animals. Sure, you can argue that a dog or cat loves their master, but I think they just love the good stuff master gives them, heh heh. At any rate, it isn't as complex as human love.

Describing complex emotion, particularly love, is difficult. Whole books, poems, plays, paintings, musical pieces, etc. have been invented to try to summarize it, and some of them succeed in part, but none have the complete definition, eh?

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Heh, Mixed, I'm guessing you've never been a cat or dog owner?

At any rate, there are certainly emotions that are very difficult to convey accurately. There is, after all, a reason why there are entire genres of film and literature dedicated to love, for instance, but very few to anger.

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

humor is hard to describe to others, like no one else will find it easy to understand an inside joke. trust me.

5. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Ahnuld movies are dedicated to anger, revenge, that sort of thing. Come to think of it, lots of movies and books are.

But yeh...I have had dogs in my youth, and right now have 3 cats, a handful of chickens, some hermit crabs and fish and flutterbyes and turtles and...I think that's it. Until bug/frog season hits, then who knows?

Dogs, I might believe have the rudiments of love for their masters and may have a basic understanding of it. Cats, nope. Cats only purr and rub up to you because they want something, be it a tasty snack or some rubbing in the best place.
    I look at it like this: If I were reduced to the size of a mouse, a dog would probably still recognize my smell and leave me alone or maybe even try to protect me. I think a cat would recognize my smell and then eat me.

6. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I tend to remember the emotions that had the greatest impact on my life.

Happiness when I win major awards.
    Sorrow when my dad left to go live with his girlfriend.
    Excitment of playing in my first varsity match.
    Exhileration of winning my first varsity match.
    Love of being around all of my family.

Those are some of the most memorable things in my life. For me, the emotion doesn't matter when it comes to be remember it.

7. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

People usually remember shame (embarassment) pretty well. I'd cast a vote for that one.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I'll throw in a vote for sorrow. When I think back on my memories, the one that stands out the most in my life is full of sorrow. That sinking feeling in your gut like you were on a magic carpet that suddenly stopped flying.

9. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Sadness, i remember that saddest day of my life like it was yesterday.

10. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Guilt would rank high I think.

11. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

For me I can remember them both equally. But expressing them to others it is much easier to relate the fear/hatred/anger. But I can close my eyes and remember the joy/happiness/love with crystal clarity.

R++

12. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

Primitive R Me. I can only remember anger and hatred tbh. Helps when you go bezerk when ppl **** me off :p

*Gosu-Hellbolt

13. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Maybe that is because it was yesterday. :D