Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Embryonic Therapy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Forum HD, May 20, 2008.

1. Forum HD

Forum HD IncGamers Member

Embryonic Therapy

Specifically, "saviour siblings."

Excerpt:
    So there are moral arguments both for and against it.

I haven't made up my mind yet. Would you support the bill or the attempted ban?

2. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Re: Embryonic Therapy

Embryos in my mind are not the same as babies, so I am fine with manipulating them for the furtherance of science.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If the sibling would just have to donate blood or marrow, I would probably be okay with it. If they had to give up a kidney or something I don't think it is right for the parents to ask a child to do such a thing.

4. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

I'll take ambiguous thread titles for 100 please Alex.

---

I deeply ambivalent over Human-Animal hybrid embryo's, and probably will continue to be until non-hybrid embryonic stem cell research provided some valuable results. Right now it seems like the biologists want to be unencumbered by any legislation rather than actually having clear and testable goals planned out for said research.

I'm not nearly as torn on saviour siblings however. On balance, I'm against it. It reduces the moral value of the 'saviour' child to that of a commodity - a donated kidney or liver. It creates the child with the expressed desire to place him/her at unnecessary risk simply to prolong another child's life, possibly many procedures over years, and of course they would have no choice in the matter. And god forbid the emotional impact of a kid being told that the only reason he is here is to be an organ bank for hid brother.

Though some of the diseases the children who require a 'saviour' sibling may have are without doubt abhorrent the primary concern for legislature should be the sibling being brought into the world. And that's the crux of the matter, it's pretty much unenforceable. It parents want to play the lottery to get a compatible donor child they can't be prevented from doing it, government has no business when interfering with natural reproductive rights*. What they can, and should do IMO is ban genetic screening for that purpose as a part of NHS IVF. If they want to roll the dice and do it naturally or if they can get it done outside the country/privately, fine. But the parents should definitely not implicitly expect the governments aid, all the issues I've outlined outweigh that 'right' IMO.

*Of course, they can ban young minors (those under for instance 10) from being a living donor if the procedure carries non-negligible risk. Now there's an idea.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If the kid is a minor there is no way to ensure that there is no coercion going on. The parents could do tons of things to make the kid donate. There is just no way to really do it legally.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Why not just let the dying kid die and keep the new one?

7. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Because "dying is the worst thing evar" or something like that.

I'm too lazy to think of my own opinion at the moment, though.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

I'm all for any embryonic research. I don't consider it life yet.

9. Helatus

Helatus IncGamers Member

10. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

my gut tells me that's terrible, though I can see the point that if it's just going to be an embryo long enough to extract stem cells, there could be some valid research here. this is a sticky one. I certainly wouldn't want to have a kid be brought into existance just to harvest their marrow. that would be terrible. Isn't that awfully painful? How screwed up would that kid be?

11. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

I find this absolutely surreal! I was up all morning reading "Brave new World" and actually just finished reading it 2½ hours ago.

I think embryonic therapy is a great step for human kind, but it may be a bit to early to introduce it.

I hope live long enough to see the day where embryonic therapy is just as common as aroma therapy.

I apologise for the lack of arguments. I'm just too tired right now...

12. PFSS

PFSS IncGamers Member

I'm fine with embryonic therapy, gene selection, screening embryos to ensure genetic illnesses are not passed on. I'm even OK with Gattaca style screening where parents can make the 'best' child possible to them with their DNA combinations. I'm ok with stem-cell research, human-animal hybryd research.

But I am against 'Savior Siblings' - parents should not have children as a means to an end, particulary when that end is to have bits cut out of your child to save the first child. It totally reduces the 'Savior' child to being a spare parts box, not a child to be loved by the parents in it's own right. I can't even begin to imagine how someone who was concieved with this intent being the parents primary consideration would feel if they ever found out.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

But either way one kid dies.

Well, the only time they don't is when it's an accident.

14. PFSS

PFSS IncGamers Member

Some means to an end are a bit different to others - I think going to great lengths to create a spare parts box for the first born is at the pretty dark end of cases where something is a 'means to and end'.

15. Forum HD

Forum HD IncGamers Member

When I made this thread, I did so with a feeling that there was more at stake than the sibling controversy. For those who have the time to view the part as it fits within the whole, here is the legislation passed in 1990 and the revisions now being amended. If nothing else it is a colossal comprehension exercise in the realm of British legalese. Less grandiose summary. The distinction being drawn between human embryos and human-admixed-embryos, as they have been coined, ought to cultivate MP legislation for years to come.

The better to stir up your curiosity and desire to post of course.
    The commentaries in the explanatory notes has its share of thought-provoking, though not necessarily pleasant, phrases.