Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elite Steeldriver?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by red.13, Apr 17, 2005.

1. red.13

red.13 IncGamers Member

Elite Steeldriver?

Quite self-describing topic: What is & How one possesses :))) such weapon? I have only heard that it's connected with putting into this mace a rune, but as I wasn't sure I wanted to ask it here. Thanks for any resonse :thumbsup:.

2. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

I *think* it means upgrading it from a normal weapon to an elite weapon with the Horadric Cube formulas:

First from Normal to Exceptional:

1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique Weapon = Exceptional Version of Weapon

Then from Exceptional to Elite:

1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon

Though I am not sure, you might want to wait for more answers before upgrading. Remember though: if you upgrade it the requirements will be higher and level-requirements too.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Also, just remember, the recipe to upgrade an exceptional weapon to an elite weapon is ladder only.

4. red.13

red.13 IncGamers Member

I hope it works in SP. I mean the loot from Ladder can drop in SP so...
    and thanks for info :).

BTW: While I dont want to make another thread, can you tell me how does the MF on weapons work? I mean, I have Gull and I switch it before the last hit to get higher MF% but if it will be my merc who is the last to hit the mob, whose MF% will count? Ofc I know that merc takes my MF% and adds it to his pool but the main question is: Does not hitting the mob as the last one (before it dies) and having +MF switched will give you the MF% bonus?.

5. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

MF is calculated upon the monsters death, so switching to a weapon with higher MF right before a monster dies will count. Your right in saying that your Mercs MF is his + yours. So, if your merc gets the final hit, your MF is added to his in determining what % to use. Alternatively, his MF isn't added to yours if you get the final hit in.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I used a Steeldriver, upgraded to exceptional, for leveling my IK barb and he was quite good in nightmare Baal minion runs.

7. red.13

red.13 IncGamers Member

Thanks for info. At the moment Im doing a softcore zerker - do you think that in the end (I mean lvl 70+) Elite Steeldriver is still good? Or is there some other weapon you would recommend?

BTW: Are 2xGull on weapon switch a good MF'ing strategy?

8. krischan

IMO no. It's a slow weapon and it just has IAS and %ed. There are far better weapons, like all of the elite two-handed hammers, and these are cheaper than the upgrading runes.

The good thing about an upgraded Steeldriver is that its str reqs (70) are rather low, so it's an excellent leveling weapon. From L28-33, you can use it in its non-upgraded form as well.

9. red.13

red.13 IncGamers Member

As Im building a zerker chara I wont have much DEX (very low to tell you the truth) thus I will somewhat be restricted to maces. After checking the elite weapons I noticed a few things: no scepters for me (funny dmg and ofc only one-handers), no polearms, spears, swords (too high dex req); the rest are: axes(ofc axes have dex req but they are not so steep thus I think I can manage to reach the req) and maces. I'm not sure what to choose - axes are great for their runewords but will I manage to get the Dex(is it so hard)? I can put some points in dex (~20-30 so to get 40-50 dex eventually (without extra things), but won't it be a lost? I mean does it is really hard to get dex high enough not scarifying your killing speed / armour etc. (assuming we don't choose to rise the stats)?

I was also thinking about the speed of a weapon. Playing with some speed calc I noticed that using a Berserker skill lets you only to deal at best 2.5-2.7 attacks per sec so I dont think that speed is that important. For instance with steeldriver I need 115%IAS to get 2 attacks/sec (65%IAS to get 1.9) and it's not that bad assuming that max with this weapon is 2.2 attacks. The other weapons only reach 2.5 attacks / sec (assuming you give them godly buffs). After some thinking I discovered that it's better simply to take a weapon with biggest dmg and put some IAS on so to get quite nice dmg + speed - hence equiping a Thunder Maul + BotD + 95%IAS = 2 att/sec + big dmg and Thunder Maul + lesser runeword (+40% IAS) + 115%IAS = the same (but lesser dmg ofc).

Beat me but I haven't heard & haven't found tho-handed hammers. I only saw one handed ones :(.

Maybe you have other good weapons for zerker + low dex, if you do - fell free to write them here.

BTW aka P.S. : I'm almost sure it's false but on diabloii.net site they state that axes give you +150% dmg to demons - is it true?

10. krischan

Hmm, I have problems to understand how a berserker would function at all. The berserk skill converts all damage into magical damage which won't let you leech and it costs 4 mana per swing, so you will run out of mana very quickly. It also reduces your defense to 0 and without a shield you will be hit all the time and you won't leech life either. Do you perhaps mean a concentration barb ?

Anyway, another good 2-handed mace is the IK maul - together with the rest of the set, of course. In Europe, the armor costs Um and the rest costs 1-5 pgems each. For rings+ammies you could try angelic ammy and 2 rings or (my choice) Metalgrid, Raven Frost and BK ring. However, I only have experience with a WW barb, so I don't know how good it works with other barbs.

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

It's false.

krischan: War Cry lets almost any barbarian build function. Since you get hit quite often damage% goes to mana works really well and replaces mana leech for berserkers.

12. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

RTB is spot on - damage taken to mana in hell is unarguably a more effecient way to replenish mana in hell with 2-h builds. Items like an ith rune in helm, angelic ammy (typically worn with ring for AR boost as well) or the uniq belt nightsmoke has up to 50%dmg taken to mana though you would at least wish to upgrade it to exceptional status for more slots hehe. Steeldriver Thundermaul is a good weapon and stuff like highlords+gores+duress armor only makes it deadlier! Hope i helped

13. red.13

red.13 IncGamers Member

Thanks for all your responses! :thumbsup:

But I still do not know what to do with my dex...I decided on axes as I really like the idea of good dmg dealers + great runewords (ofc I can always switch to 2h maces but only as substitutes) thus I need a little bit dex (55 / 59 are the requirements for elite 2h axes). In order to get it I must raise dex by 30-40 pts to be shure I can equip them, however wont be it a waste - I mean is it very sacrifying in hell/NM to get things (mostly charms as my weapon / armour will have to be useful not dex-full :)) which can raise your dex so high?