Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elements

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Saraph, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Elements

im just kinda curious about the pros and cons.

Fire Sorc?

Ice?

Lightning?

like, what is each one good for (opinions, experiences, whatever)?

like for MF, PVP, or PVM.

2. newbiengod

newbiengod IncGamers Member

fire tree is good for about anything. cold is good for anything blizz can take down meph real fast. light sorce if good one pvp inless u up against some one with huge light absorb and resists if so just run like a mad man in your case tele like a mad woman. cold fo or blizz? what ever u like i suppose. look and stickies at top for way more details!!!! :scratch:

3. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

seems as if fire and ice trees put out most damage.

i found a awesome socketed staff with + to fire skills. and then put Leaf on it to juice up the fire skills all the more. so i have like +5 to all fire +2 meteor +2 inferno +2 warmth. so thats reason im asking. my last sorc didnt sruvive the change from 1.09. to 1.10. it gimped itself. so with needing a new sorc, im just picking peoples thoughts.

4. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

well, that is an awesome staff.

you could make a really nice Meteor sorc. they are very strong. just get something thats cannot be frozen and some runwalk is my suggestion. and a holy freez merc

plenty of fire only areas to mf if you want to that.

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i think fire is the slowest and hardest to use, which is why damage is higher than the other trees.

my personal favorite is lightning tree (not skill.) i made 2 CL sorcs so far. but, it's a little tricky to use, although no where near as tricky as the fire spells. also, fcr hurts you.

cold sorcs are best, imo, because they do more relative damage than other trees, even at far lower displayed damage #'s. pretty much all elemental damage is quartered in hell, so lightning and fire trees are actually 1/4 of their displayed damage. cold sorcs actually do 150% of their displayed damage on many mobs.

i hope though that there are equal numbers of lightning + fire to cold.

6. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

also, it depends on if you are on ladder or not.

ladder, blizzard might be good as well, you want crap things like Shako's and whatever is like considered over flowed on non ladder. bliz kills meph in 1-3 shots with a high level mastery.

if i was ladder, id go meteor and back it up with Orb. no synergy in orb (its only for pvp really) and just a few in cold +skills. make a switch for cold and you are set.

faster cast='s lightning='s no decent level of mf. everything faster cast besides a Occulus has no mf in it.

7. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

well i wont be able to provide any elite items. im still trying to get my _first_ mf character off the ground. so which is more viable? in which it wont require god items, and etc.

8. dlantz

dlantz IncGamers Member

If you don't have items to start with, lightning I'd say is definately out. Tweaked light can be great, but as was pointed out, you need fcr which hurts you. Meteor and Frostorb is pretty cookiecutter, but I consider it the least equipment dependant.

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Good easy build without tweaked items: Meteorb, see the guide at the top of this forum. You can go untwinked with that.

10. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

yeah i agree. and its not hard to get like +5-6 skills total. orb with 5-7 base in mastery does a lot of damage vs bosses, as cold is the only one to cut through their defenses without having a lot +damage.

pure cold is a bad idea. i made one. massive damage twinked non ladder....

good forsome things ,but eh, i want to kill em all! not just 2/3's

pure fire is the worst to baal run with. half the things are very fire resistant and lister is always immune.

meteorb is not cookie cutter, its a foot in the door build.

fireball/orb is also very non cookie cutter, yet works really well in the pit and on bosses as well. a lot less damage that meteor, but every shot is fast and hits vs missing and running around timing shots.

10% faster cast jewelry is cheap to get, a vipermagi is the only thing you need to buy for it. craft a caster belt for cheap, make a Lore runeword helm, 4 topaz armour. not too hard to do it dirt cheap.

11. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Why oh why do you make a difference between Meteorb and Fireball/Orb? The Meteorb build has Meteor and Fireball maxxed as a mutual synergy. This means that you do not have to use Meteor exclusively just because it does more innitial damage.

12. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

it is a huge difference.

you can add more to cold mastery (something that shines on mephisto and bosses) and disregard meteor a bit, only like 12-13 points into it at level 85, or even 10 pts in it base. a weakish fireball isnt weak if you cast it faster as you aquire items with fcr. for untwinked, id work more on cold mastery and use ball to kill cold immunes

more cold mastery and some cheap faster cast gear will then make you do more damage then for a cheap character mfing and leveling up in hell.

13. Ulric

Ulric IncGamers Member

Cold is probably the easiest to use especially early. In normal and nightmare, there are few if any cold immunes. Besides the damage caused by the cold spells, you have the additional benefit of slowness caused by the cold. later on when you face immunes in Hell, this can cause problems because you get so used to monsters being slowed by the spells. I had a rude awakening in the Towers when Countess's minions ran out and turned me into sushi ignoring my orbs.

14. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

You can't runeword magical items, and as white/grey items don't spawn with +fire skills you're lying or messing stuff up :)

+to one of the fire skills is possible though.

15. Superhal

it's not magical. he got a staff with +2 meteor/inferno/warmth. a staff can get up to 3 random skills, 1-3 in each skill.

you can see for yourself by rolling maya in norm a1 a few times, but i prefer rolling an a2 map with a north exit and checking the scroll guy.

i want a +9 warmth staff. :(

16. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

Well from personal expirience
    Cold will get you easy trough normal and nightmare in blink of eye ... but you will stop here unless someone rush you. So old classical way of building Sorc around Static/Orb (slow everything with orb and kill with static while things frozen) not work anymore. Blizzard with singery is powerfull area attack (personally I still confident that FO with CM do more damage per single target assuming that you know how to target Orb)
    Pure fire about as bad as pure cold - with sinergy Meteor is single most powerfull sorc attack in game but ... untill you meet fire immune/fire resistant
    Pure lighting .... mmm well Nova not have any singeries so old FO/Nova build dead as well, CL to do decent damage much have maxed all singery and have A LOT +all/lighting skills items
    So I hopefully convinced you that to be efficient all way you need to be 2 element sorc. From playing around I'd say easiest to build and play is Meteor/Orb sorc or Fireball/Orb - get decent DR, good resistance, high (best be highest) blocking and you all set. Not many mobs in game immune to Fire AND Cold but those (Countess hell) you have you Static + Merc

17. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

I know that, but +to (all!) fire skills don't spawn on normal staffs. That's what I was saying :) He said +fire skills so i think it was weird :drool:

18. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

hm.

what is the best possible runeword for a lightning/cold sorc in the best possible staff?

i think my hoto flail is a cookie cutter yet crappy thing to use for a sorc (not like i would trade it for an occy, but im assuming something intense could be made, i have limited knowledge of staves though it seems)

and where would be a reasonable place to get a chain lightning? like is the spell level coinciding with the item level?

19. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

il get a screen shot later. :evil:

20. Superhal

it's a leaf staff.