Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elemental Masteries

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by vexer, Apr 14, 2005.

1. vexer

vexer IncGamers Member

Elemental Masteries

Hello, im currently making a lightning MF sorc for pindle/eld running. My question is is it worth it to max lightning mastery, since im only going to be doing MF and even at max with bonuses it still cant hurt LI's. i was thinking of only putting 8 + Bonus SP's into LM, that would give me good dmg for even high resist monsters and not go over board with LM. so really what i need is if anyone can give me any reason to convince me to max LM please explain =] thx

2. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

well here are some general rules:

if you are a single element sorceress, max mastery no matter what.

fire and lightning masteries are usually maxed (assuming you use these elements). this is pretty simple, the sorceress gets her killing power from her skills. the higher the skill level the better she is, so maxing these masteries is worth every point.

cold mastery does not have to be maxed if you need to conserve skill points for other uses (a 2nd element for example). usually people aim for lvl 17 cold mastery (after +skills) b/c lvl17 mastery gives -100 enemy resists, and no monster can every have lower than -100 resistance.

there are exceptions to these rules, and the most obvious is in the case of the tri-elemental sorceress or archmage. obviously having 3 attack skills in different elements is going to require a careful distribution of points which will prevent you from maxing all the masteries you want. for more specific details on this, you should read the archmage guide (under the sorceress build thread).

you dont give that much information about your sorceress, but if its a pure lightning sorceres, then definitely max mastery. it boosts all your lightning spells, increases your damage at a higher rate than synergies, and what else are you going to spend your points on anyway?

3. vexer

vexer IncGamers Member

heres the thing though...according to d2data.net the boff with the most amount of resists is hell mephisto with 75 to light resists....lvl 12 LM can yield -182% light resistance to enemies...and since monsters cant go beneath -100% resistance....plz tell me why i should even bother putting more points into this skill...the returns just seem far to diminishing.

BTW: im a lightning MF sorc....pure lightning.

4. vexer

vexer IncGamers Member

heres the thing though...according to d2data.net the boss with the most amount of resists is hell mephisto with 75 to light resists....lvl 12 LM can yield -182% light resistance to enemies...and since monsters cant go beneath -100% resistance....plz tell me why i should even bother putting more points into this skill...the returns just seem far to diminishing.

BTW: im a lightning MF sorc....pure lightning.

5. ZeN

ZeN IncGamers Member

Dude, it doesn't reduce the resistances of monsters

It increases the damage of lightning spells.

CM on the other hand does decrease the resistances.

Check this

LM skill explanation

6. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

yes. cold mastery reduces enemy resistances. fire and lightning mastery increase fire and lightning damage by a %. level 17 lightning mastery increases damage by 182% (turning a 100 dmg bolt into a 282 dmg bolt, for example) and a level 25 lighting mastery increases it by 338% (which would turn that same bolt into 438 dmg)...this makes a big difference.

7. vexer

vexer IncGamers Member

ohhhhhh ok thanks very much! i was like WTF why would blizzard make like -280 resistance :rolleyes: