Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elemental Druid Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GodofWar, Jun 4, 2005.

1. GodofWar

GodofWar IncGamers Member

Elemental Druid Question

I am currently in the process of trying out some characters that I just don't use (Amazon, Assassin, Druid) in order to liven up Diablo, and I decided on an idea for an Elemental Druid.

Can you run the Hurricane spell while also using the Armaggedeon (sp?) spell. I though I saw in some guide that you might be able to, but I've yet to find a build to use this, but maybe b/c you cannot would be the reason.

I really don't like Druids that much as they are either a Wolf Druid (Weak Zealot), a Werebear (Slow 2h Barb) a Summoner (wtf is up with either Grisly OR Wolves?/Weak Skellymancer) and then their is the Elementalist. A sorceress would probably be more affective, but I'm looking for an enjoyable build.

Sorry about my ran, but I just don't understand Druids. It just seems like everything they do, another class can do better.

-GodOfWar

2. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Well, I've never actually tried using Tornado and Armageddeon at the same time, but I'm reasonably sure it isn't a problem.

I think calling a Werewolf a weak zealot is a bit silly. They generally have more damage and life than Fanatic Zealots, but less defense/blocking/resists.

For elemental, Wind Druids are pretty dominant. Max Hurrican, Tornado, Twister, Cyclone Armor, dump the rest into Oak Sage. Then pwn.

3. Rynda

Rynda IncGamers Member

I actually have a question regarding the Wind Druid build.. As I saw on these boards, they only use Wind skills, sometimes a Grizzley. My question is, how does a build like that tackle monsters that are highly resistant (or immune) to cold? I have a few points in Armageddon, and I had a hard time with Duriel in NM, because he is highly cold resistant, so I had to use other spells. The same applies for the builds for Sorceress which involve putting points into only one tree. Maybe someone can clarify that for me. Thanks. :)

4. Sledge

Sledge IncGamers Member

physical immunes are the real problem, tornados deal physical damage, using a mercenary with a reapers toll solves that problem :)

5. piscene

piscene IncGamers Member

What if you're playing untwinked or just don't have a Reapers? If all your damage is physical, how do you deal with PIs?

6. Tutatis

Tutatis IncGamers Member

But hurricane is cold.

7. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

I would call my zealot a weak werewolf before I did the reverse. :D

It sounds like you're comparing a few single-tree Druids (pure Summoner, pure Elementalist, pure Shifter) to classes using multiple trees. If you do that you miss a key advantage of being a Druid. You might be surprised if you mixed a few trees to see the advantages they gain.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

You may want to take a look in the FAQ.

There is a guide I wrote about using dual elements as a druid, it goes into the way you can use both hurricane and armageddon. I will tell you this much using the two of them together is rather hard since there is a timer after casting them that will keep them ~6 seconds apart from each other.

9. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

You say that you:

but then you start saying ...

How exactly can you say this? Do you have extensive experience playing Druids?

It sounds like you are already biased against Druids ... that's not going to increase your enjoyment factor at all.

Play a Dual-tree Druid and check out one of the guides in the Druid forum for some ideas and once you Pat him come back and let us know how it went.

10. GodofWar

Ok first for the wolf/zealot comparison, the little Wolverine Spirit thing is absolute garbage, it repeateidly dies, unlike fantacism. Although a Werewolf druid may do more dmg, Zealots will end up being a lot faster, resulting in more damage over the same period of time. The fact that you also revert back from Werewolf is quite annoying. Although WW Druids have more like, zealots get more blocking/res, which IMO is better.

And about me being biased towards Druids, I just don' think they do anything another character can't do, they just don't have anything that sets them apart, I mean Fury is an exact copy of Zeal, why not make it something else?

Lastly about Hurricane/Armagedeon, I could actually use both at the same time right? I mean the 6 second counter is extremely miniscule (sp), I just wanted to know if it simply would not allow me to have both skills running at once.

I had planned on following AE's Fire/Summon Druid, but the Aldurs set I recieved in a giveaway seems to have dissapeared, that kinda sucks. So, thank you all for your input.

-GodOfWar

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

First off yes they can be cast ontop of each other.

Secondly the 6 second delay is not miniscule it's annoying, you can not cast armageddon, fissure, volcano, moltenboulder, firestorm, huirricane, or many off character skills. 6 seconds is a long time in D2 terms it's what 120 frames roughly,of each your character is open for attack.

The 6 seconds is very annoying, especially with one of either hurricane or armageddon with a 10 second duration. most of your time is spent waiting to use your skills.

12. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Nitpick: Zeal and Fury both max out at 4 frames per attack. So the zealot is... exactly the same speed... not lots faster. Many WW druids use Oak Sage since they have more than enough damage anyway, but yeah, the spirits do die quite a bit.

13. GodofWar

By referring to speed I am assuming that the Zealot uses fantacism (as they oten do) which will provide a constant source of IAS. Also, most WW Druids relying on using 2H Axes or Mauls for their damage which are obviously slower than one handed swords and axes. That is what I meant by slower.

14. Parasocks

Parasocks IncGamers Member

Yes but fury adds IAS as well so a WW druid has a constant source of IAS....to each his own but I think you are a wee bit misinformed.

15. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

pure summoning druid is rather different than a skelliemancer. a skelliemancer spends his time managing his summons and blowing up corpses. a hunter druid needs to fight alongside his summons, it's a much more active style of play.

It's funny, I used to hate sorceress. never played one, but I hated them anyway. then I played one, and wow! if they aren't pretty cool. The game is as fun as you make it. Make a fun druid, and you'll have fun playing him. look for reasons why druids suck, and well, I guess you'll always think they suck

16. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

The Werewolf skill provides a constant source of IAS and better yet it doesn't take up the right mouse button doing it.

L25Fanaticism = Attack Speed: +36%
    L25Werewolf = Attack Speed: +72%

Even if your WW is slower than your zealot because you lack certain items, that doesn't mean those 2H Axes/Mauls/Polearms do less damage over time. Werewolves could use 1-handed axes and a shield they just prefer better killing with a 2-handed weapon. Perhaps you're underestimating the damage from 2-handed weapons.

About as annoying as having HolyShield or BattleOrders fall off. The Lesson is the same - don't let it happen.

Unlike life, blocking doesn't work on all attacks and if you run your blocking drops to 25%... running doesn't drop a Druid's life to 1/3. Some zealots can get a little more resist because they need more resist. Werewolves also can't use Amazon bows, but they don't need those either.

For one, they're the only class that shapeshifts. If you disregard that as "just fighting" anyone could disregard any fighting skill for the same reason. Perhaps you should play a Druid to learn what sets them apart? For example, being the only class who can sometimes survive the FE bug due to how shapeshifting works.