Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elemental Absorbtion

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by uncountednose, Sep 5, 2006.

1. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

Elemental Absorbtion

I have a question about items that give you elemental absorb like dwarf star, thundergods vigor, etc... i have a sorc w/ maxed resistance and i gave her a wisp protector(15% absorb). i figured this would make me invulnerable to the gloams making worldstone mf runs really easy. while it definately makes me harder to kill I am not invulnerable to their lightning attack. from what i've heard 15% of the lightning damage i receive should heal me instead of damaging me making my effective resistance twice the absorbtion(because it will cancel out the same amount of damage that it absorbs). if this was the case my effective resistance should be 105% and the lightning should actually heal me a little right?

2. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

You will need +absorb instead of +absorb% to make the Gloams heal you.

+absorb% only REDUCED the amount by multiplying it by absorb%^absorb%, whereas +absorb will reduce it straight. You cannot possibly have a damage go into the negatives with percents, unless the percentage is negative, which again impossible and even if it was possible, the game would simply use that as a multiplier (damage*1.3 instead of damage *-0.3).

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Absorb does not sum with your resistance. Resistance comes first, then %absorb, and then straight absorb.

Here's an example. Say a gloam does 100 lightning damage (I made that number up). You have 75% resist lightning and 15% lightning absorb. First the gloam's damage goes through your resists:
    200 * 75% = 150.
    So 150 damage is blocked by your resists and 50 damage gets through. Next, your absorb comes into play. You have 15% absorb, working on the 50 damage:
    50 * 15% = 7.5
    7.5 damage of the 50 is absorbed. This is done in two parts. First, you are healed 7.5 damage. Second, you take 50-7.5=42.5 damage. Depending on your amount of life, you net taking 35 to 42.5 damage.

Now, instead of 15% lightning absorb, let's pretend you had 15 straight lightning absorb. Gloam does 200 damage knocked down to 50 by your resists. At this point, you will now absorb 15 points of the 50 damage. You'd be healed 15 damage and take 35 damage, for a net of 20 to 35 damage (depending on your life).

For fighting gloams, it's recommended to use a thundergod's vigor belt. This wonderful belt has +20 lightning absorb and +10% max lightning resist.

4. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Even with that, they can rip you apart if you are not very careful or if there is a unique gloam there.

5. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Also remember that %absorb is capped at 40%.
    But straight absorb (Thundergod, etc...) is not capped :smiley:.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

With 85% lres and absorb from T-God's, you are more or less immune to lightning attacks from gloams (and thus from any monster, as gloams are the worst), except there's a conviction boss near. My zealot meets them all the time when doing Baal runs and they effectively can't hurt him.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I won't go into the WSK (or parts of Act III/IV) without a TGods/max LR and a pack of Gloams still cause a few issues. Although I agree a single gloam is mince meat.

8. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I used to think tgod is the best solution for gloams, but I haven't used tgod since I found my 19% lightning absorb wisp. By replacing tgod with tal belt, my sorc can now wear full tal set during solo baal runs. The stacked resist (~270 for lightning) from full tal set+sanctuary+torch+anni means I can survive a conviction soul pack while cursed with lower resist from oblivion knights:smiley:.