Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Electric Blue’s Guide to Testing & Balance, First Beta <

Discussion in 'Druid' started by electricblue, Mar 19, 2005.

1. electricblue

electricblue IncGamers Member

Electric Blue’s Guide to Testing & Balance, First Beta

Hi folks, I have completed my latest guide on game side testing and balance issues. Since most old druids are fellow testers of the game, your input is much appreciated. Here is the link:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=317032

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

So this is kind of a guide on how to write a guide, in part? :D

I think this goes way over the head of most of the people, unfortunately. You're writing to an elite few.

3. electricblue

well proud, actually, my intention was to give insight on game testing and balance issues to ordinary readers.

what do you advise to meet that purpose? what can be added?

4. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Hmm, hard to say. I've never known much about the topic myself, to be honest.

5. electricblue

ah, then, if you have time, read the guide and see if it improves your insight with the topic or not.
    and from that, we may come to conclusions.

any input appreciated

6. bohne

bohne IncGamers Member

Sorry, I was bored....

Well, this thing is really good. Alas, I also do think that proud has allready brought the most important point to attention: it's for those people that care.

Ignoring that I went on to read the rest of the 'guide', I thought it had some great things(like the part about writing a guide(I've allready written a few for german sites(mostly translations of various important passages found on here:))) and the part about setting up testing conditions). What I didn't like was the part about categorizing players into various stages of noobs. I think it would have done more good if you'd have explained why so many(even of those massive and clever looking posters) here are still sort of noobs: it's because we don't really know a lot of things and go by hearsay untill something seems so out of tune that we can no longer ignore it. I think a division of knowledge would be more apropriate:
    A: things read out of the code
    B: things found out by testing
    C: things known by hearsay
    Most guides are 80% C, 10% B and spelling errors. :)
    No, of course a lot of the stuff we replicate is by good(as in trustfull) sources, a lot of things we just believe because experience hasn't proved us wrong. Or hasn't proved us wrong often enough.
    So in other terms, the noob would be better categorized into 2 "sub-species": the one that doesn't care that he knows naught, and the one who thinks he knows. The same goes with experienced players: those that believe they know, and those that are more inquisitive. But then again - this division doesn't get us any further, it's just tempting to categorize people, lol... sorry.

I personaly don't see much use for a balancing guide, but then again - I usualy took the league rules for granted and acted acording to them. *shrug* might do a nice guide in the mod-section if there was one. The guide about game-testing(or rather proofreading the guides) was also very good, but rather something for the statics forum. *shrugagain*
    yeah, i forgot what else i wanted to say... anyways, i'm off to play railroad tycoon

prust,
    aka

7. electricblue

thanks for the reply, bohne.

one thing that I should mention here

about the categorization part. this part is not really for just categorizing people, it is a guideway between newbies and experts. being a newbie is not something 'bad' or undesirable. everyone including me was a newbie once. being a pseudo, however, is something to be avoided.

---

any more comments? inputs?

8. Kosmos

Kosmos IncGamers Member

Im not an old druid tester, but it is my favourite char in the game. Probably cause it's the most challanging char and u need to have some knowlage to make a good shaper. Regarding the testing there is not much to be done really everything has been calculated long before i started playing. However, if u find something usefull with ur testings let us know. :p

If u want u can run some test on the Were assasins speeds and let me know if the werecentral charts are right. To me 55 WIAS didnt look like 3 fpa but what do i know, im just a simple gamer :eek: ...

9. Kosmos

Kosmos IncGamers Member

bump on this one :) . damn i allways write fpa instead of fps stupid me :D