Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ehtereal?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by decoy_sJ, Mar 23, 2004.

1. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

ehtereal?

ok here goes..i got a question that has been bugging me non stop ever since i started d2..i've always been too embarassed to ask it but here goes..

wats the deal bout the ethereal mod on weapons???
    i mean..if its a ethereal demon's arch (got a couple of those) or some throwing weapon i can understand since durability is not an issue..but with a melee weapon with the ethereal mod which CANNOT be repaired, even with the way higher damage and low reqs, wouldn't it suck if u cannot repair the weapon?

someone pls enlighten me.. :worship:

2. Elu's Might

Elu's Might IncGamers Member

The Ethereal property (spawns in 5 % of all items, except sets) gives the following:
    a) The Item can't be repaired [except Zod and Repair Durability in x seconds]
    b) If it's a weapon, it gets 50 % Enhanced damage
    c) If it's a piece of armor, it gets 50 % Enhanced defence.
    d) Lowered STR requirements (Don't know about lower Dex reqs though)

3. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

You can't possibly expect added bonuses at no cost, can you?

Nothing is free.

4. decoy_sJ

i know that it has better mods than a regular piece of equip but still..wouldn't it like go poof! when its durability hits zero unless u Zod it or it has the raise durability mod? :scratch:

what i am saying is..is it feasible to use or pay alot for a eth weapon/armor when u cannot repair it when it is damaged?

5. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

Thats why Zod runes exist :D

Of course, some weapons, being etheral, are useful until they break. They provide that extra damage you need to kill monsters until you level up enough to use a stronger non-etheral weapon.

Then, there are other weapons that spawn etheral but that doesn't matter cause you don't use them to hit with, example Occulus or any of the orbs/wands.

Etheral armors are just useless. However, mercs can make good use of etheral items.

6. decoy_sJ

haha Zods Zods..lets not even go there..

thanks for all the input guys :lol:

7. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Eths can be very good in some stages of game if playing non twinked chars. For instance my first ladder char, a zealot, could pass Ancients first when he equiped eth Andy and eth North. There are some eth uniques/runewords with self repair/undestuct mod too...
    Zods... just let me share your HaHa :lol:

8. superdude0526

superdude0526 IncGamers Member

I think that most people will use Etheral weapons and or armor for their Mercs as it will never lose any durability. But if you want to use the weapon yourself or if its a "godly" weapon "like an etheral Cruel Colossus Sword" you can either socket it with a "ZOD" rune or trade it. You would have no trouble getting very good items for some of the etheral items you find that you have no intention of using. Lastly, you can always sell them to the vendor for a quick 35K.