i have had this..

Ruby Jewel
Required Level: 58
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0x1d6c8999
+40% Enhanced Damage
--
for some time now. it makes me smile:) i should like to use it. i want to place it in an ik helm. 2 questions then please.
first will work properly? i understand there is a bug associated with ed jewels?
also this is my best ik helm..

Immortal King's Will
Avenger Guard
Defense: 172
Durability: 31 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 65
Required Level: 47
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x4eb1c9db
+125 Defense
37% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+4 to Light Radius
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
Socketed (2: 0 used)
---
would you wait for a better one or go for it?
---
OT
http://www.hurtwood.demon.co.uk/Fun/copter.swf
989 to beat:)
thanks. dune

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
The jewel will work properly in your helmet. There are problems when using jewels with ED and +max (or min..). I wouldn't hold out on another IK helm, the differences aren't that great. However I would advise you to really think hard about socketing it into that helm. The IK helm can only be worn by barbarians, it's really not that good of a helm (you probably will find a better one sooner or later) and the jewel is pretty decent. I'm not going to advice you against it, just think about it twice :)

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldn't put this jewel into IK Will too. This helm is not so good, but the jewel is very decent. This jewel would be nice in end-game gear (Arreat's Face...).
EDIT: Unless you don't play IK barb. In that case it's an obvious choice.

dune6836

Diabloii.Net Member
thankyou for the clarification about the bug.
it was the set bonuses i was thinking about with the helm. if fact the barb in question is using arreats face at the moment.
if i have worked it out right that jewel would add 1-2k ish damage to this chr, this is not to be sneezed at.
i havent decided yet. i know its no ruby fervour jewel but its still very shiny, and i wont waste it:)
also the forum is taking 3-4 mins to load each page for me at the moment so i will return later. thanks for replies. dune

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
dune6836 said:
thankyou for the clarification about the bug.
it was the set bonuses i was thinking about with the helm. if fact the barb in question is using arreats face at the moment.
if i have worked it out right that jewel would add 1-2k ish damage to this chr, this is not to be sneezed at.
i havent decided yet. i know its no ruby fervour jewel but its still very shiny, and i wont waste it:)
also the forum is taking 3-4 mins to load each page for me at the moment so i will return later. thanks for replies. dune
I think that you don't understand ED mechanics. The average damage difference will be:
(min weapon damage + min damage from your equipment +max weapon damage + max damage from your equipment)/2 x 0.4

So if you don't have +damage charms/equipment, you will get (233+320)*0.4/2 more damage using plain IK Maul. That difference is the same for whatever skill you use (the ED is addititive with skill ED and STR ED)

EDIT: That's why the ED jewels work best with the low +%ED skills as whirlwind or zon's Strafe.

dune6836

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
I think that you don't understand ED mechanics.
hmm i think you might be right
i had assumed that the ed would be added after the damage bonuses from wearing gloves,belt,boots,maul.
from memory, i have about 200psn damage and 1-40 lightening and a small amout of cold from charms. clearly my initial estimate of ed was a little over-enthusiastic. :D
live and learn. thanks. dune

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
dune6836 said:
hmm i think you might be right
i had assumed that the ed would be added after the damage bonuses from wearing gloves,belt,boots,maul.
from memory, i have about 200psn damage and 1-40 lightening and a small amout of cold from charms. clearly my initial estimate of ed was a little over-enthusiastic. :D
live and learn. thanks. dune
And the elemental damage is not multiplied at all. Only the physical damage is.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are currently wearing Arreats, and if you are not planning on making a full-on IK barb, then I would add the jewel to the Arreats instead of to the IK helm. You'll have to use a socket quest for it, but that's no big deal. All in all, Arreats is much much more useful than the IK helm, even with the set bonuses.

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't see the guy mentioning Arreat's.. I think you're putting words in his mouth. Obviously Arreat's is the better choice, however if you don't have it IK helm actually is quite decent. Finding one untwinked with a barb is allways nice. :)

dune6836

Diabloii.Net Member
@DMPI_Masher damn mate! you must be way faster than me. probably a decade or 2 younger:p :D
---
i did think about putting it in the arreats, as suggested.
thanks for the input everyone. at least i am not still in error about what exactly it will do. dune