Economic Theory?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Nastie_Bowie said:
Wallowing in your arrogant ignorance, yet again.

Forgive me for not being specific.

Voting for a candidate just because of party affiliation is not something to be proud of.
if you want to say something, then say it
don't say the wrong thing and then get pissy

Nastie_Bowie said:
Sounds to me like getting the "Evil Republicans" replaced by the "Uber Godly Democrats" to me. What about voting for a candidate on his/her individual qualities, stand on issues, etc.?

Most college kids are more interested in getting drunk/high/laid, and don't have a clue, yet, as to the ways of the world. While thay may feel that they know it all, they don't. Most have a "pie in the sky" attitude about politics, not to mention the fact that most college proffessors are raging lefties. It takes a number of years of life's experiences to make an intelligent decision with respect to politics, imnsho.

So, stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!
You really want me to get into the issues here? I'll be happy to, since you seem to think I'm some ignorant moron of a 20something with his head up his ass.

Issue #1: The Republican party, both locally and statewide felt threatened by our campus. We had fought for the first two years I was at school to have a polling station located on our campus for my school of over 2000 students, most of whom did not have automobiles. The Republican party fought tooth and claw against it, and actually sent harassment out to our polling stations once we got them up. They had a representative of the Republican party by the polling station contesting each and every voter. I myself was accused of being an illegal immigrant trying to vote because my parents' billing address was in Argentina. I had to sign a form saying that I was willing to accept purjury charges if I somehow was not eligible to vote.

I was a third year government student at the time, and I had to think twice and be told by the poll worker that they were doing that to everyone before I felt confident enough to exercise my right to vote for the first time ever in this country. Thanks, Republicans. Go democracy, right? I don't have numbers in front of me, but I can tell you that our turnout was severely impacted because a lot of less confident or less informed students decided it wasn't worth it and walked away. You should be proud of your party, Bowie. We want to support democracy in Iraq but not here at home. This fiasco alone, Bowie, was enough to turn me off from the Republican party altogether. I paid local taxes, lived in Saratoga 12 months out of the year (more than some local residents), and was a citizen just like anyone else. Why, then, should I be harassed at the polling station?

Other issues: for a very small town in upstate New York, we already had a ton of development. There was a Best Buy, a Wal Mart, a KMart, a Target, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Leows, and a mall all within a 1-mile radius. This was plenty, but a few of the Republicans on the city council had their campaigns funded by developers who wanted to obliterate the remaining parkland in that area to further build it up. That would have entailed taking out several more acres of forest, the resulting runoff would have wound up in Saratoga Lake, which, besides being already in danger and facing diminishing fish and wildlife population because of some unregulated underground storage tanks up the hill from it at a gas station, was also the source for the city's drinking water. The construction would all take place in the watershed.

The main road through Saratoga was a small road, in a town full of historic buildings all protected by the local government, very pedestrian-heavy, and with a lot of quick lights and blind intersections. As a result, the extra-long 52' trucks were banned from driving on that road through town, because they were, frankly, dangerous when they came flying through at 45 mph. There were plenty of other roads around town for them to use without much need for detour. The Republicans in control of the city council at the time, however, were under pressure from the same developers and businesses that wanted to develop the area into a zillion box stores, and as a result would not move on the issue. While the trucks were technically not allowed through town, because of a technicality on the way the original law was written, it was unenforceable, and the Republican majority in the city council refused to even discuss the issue.

I've not lived in Saratoga for a few years now, so I'm way out of date on all of the issues and problems that were on the table at the time and may be now, but those are a few that stick out in my mind. There were dozens more of them.

Perhaps you support raising the voting age, Bowie? Maybe we shouldn't allow anyone under 25 to vote. Or perhaps they should be landowning males again. Why is it that you think anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view is ignorant? I believe that makes you a bigot.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
if you want to say something, then say it
don't say the wrong thing and then get pissy
Shall it be pistols or sabers for the duel tomorrow?

Nastie_Bowie said:
Aww, did I hurt your feelings? Poor thing!

Tough bannanas, pal.
Yup, and its this sort of attitude that makes me realize just how much respect you Republicans have for the democratic process.

Hooray for denying people their votes!

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Yup, and its this sort of attitude that makes me realize just how much respect you Republicans have for the democratic process.

hey, don't lump me in with idiots like bowie

D_C,

Had you presented your thoughts in this manner first, I would not have said a word. Blind political loyalty is ignorant.

Bigot!? Puh-leeez. I just don't have a lot of respect for college age peoples political philosophies. Lack of a usable database to make intelligent decisions. As I am twice your age, I doubt we will find common ground, here.

DrunkCajun said:

ASSUME

Makes ans A** out of U and ME

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Why does 20 years of doing the same thing make you wise?

Don't get me wrong, I think college kids are generally morons, just curious what you think. I haven't seen much wisdom with age, at least beyond a point.

Garbad

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Bambi's revenge

As this thread is quickly and rapidly spiralling down into the depths of banhood, I am going to impart a bit of wisdom given to me by a wise little bunny: "If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and if it differs from yours, well that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

N_B

Well its hard not to assume when your reply almost immediately followed mine, and especially not considering your hostile attitude towards the fact that "OMG I'm only 24 and have political opinions!11!!" Combined with the lovely attitude shown by the Saratoga Republican party, it wasn't surprising to me to think that your reply was directed towards me.

I've met many Republicans that I respect, and for the most part have no problem with them. However, when they start abusing their power to disenfranchise my vote, I start taking very aggressive and violent issue with it. Sorry if I'm very touchy about my democratic rights, but I am. I've lived and visited enough places where they were stepped on regularly to know that it isn't a good way to run a country.

And for the record, I'm only talking about the local Rep. party where I used to live. I do not extend these judgements beyond upstate NY.

DrunkCajun said:
N_B

Well its hard not to assume when your reply almost immediately followed mine, and especially not considering your hostile attitude towards the fact that "OMG I'm only 24 and have political opinions!11!!" Combined with the lovely attitude shown by the Saratoga Republican party, it wasn't surprising to me to think that your reply was directed towards me.

I've met many Republicans that I respect, and for the most part have no problem with them. However, when they start abusing their power to disenfranchise my vote, I start taking very aggressive and violent issue with it. Sorry if I'm very touchy about my democratic rights, but I am. I've lived and visited enough places where they were stepped on regularly to know that it isn't a good way to run a country.

And for the record, I'm only talking about the local Rep. party where I used to live. I do not extend these judgements beyond upstate NY.
Pax, man.

I am not hostile towards young voters, at all. Nor, do I feel that we should raise the voting age. I do take thier political opinions with a grain of salt. Cheezus, I voted for Jimmy Carter.

:lol:

Garbad_the_Weak said:
Why does 20 years of doing the same thing make you wise?

Don't get me wrong, I think college kids are generally morons, just curious what you think. I haven't seen much wisdom with age, at least beyond a point.

Garbad
Ask me the same question in 20 years. Kinda hard to explain to someone filled with the exuberance of youth.

Nastie_Bowie said:
Cheezus, I voted for Jimmy Carter.
Shh! You shouldn't admit that, man, are you nuts??

:drink:

Sorry I got so hostile--the reason I didn't go into detail was more because I tend to post from work and the less time I have to spend posting, the less guilty I feel. I felt that since the intent of my original post was to convey the fact that a few motivated individuals could easily mobilize an indifferent group of people to change things, I didn't really need to go into depth about why we did what we did.

Anyway, yeah. How about forcing people to spend all their money or somethin?

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Nastie_Bowie said:
Ask me the same question in 20 years. Kinda hard to explain to someone filled with the exuberance of youth.
I am too old for that bull. Seriously, I want to know. I won't argue with you no matter what, I just was curious.

Garbad