Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Eck! Did I break him? (Build issues)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Mythren, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Mythren

Mythren IncGamers Member

Eck! Did I break him? (Build issues)

Hi again, folks - and welcome to yet another "oh look, Myth's a n00b, point and laugh" session...

I'm paranoid about my nec...I really, really don't wanna start over, but think I might have screwed up his build. I was going for a Commando-Mancer, thinking I could pick up equipment for him along the way (...remember, n00b :)) - well, instead I decided to pause him for a while and build up a Meteorb Sorc to MF stuff for me to use/trade on him...however, when I do play him, I'm a bit scared for his future, as it looks bleak. Not sure what I did wrong, hoping someone could tell me, and perhaps we can salvage this poor guy...

He's level 57 right now, following stats:
    94 STR
    99 DEX
    140 VIT
    27 ENE <---misclicked :).

Skill allocation are as follows:
    Curses:
    2 Amplify Damage <---another misclick
    1 Weaken
    1 Terror
    1 Iron Maiden
    1 Decrepify

Summoning:
    20 Skeletal Mastery
    20 Raise Skeleton
    12 Skeletal Mage
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    4 (eck...4...) Summon Resist.

He's having a rather difficult time in Nightmare...meph runs are rather difficult, and while they can be done, it's not very effecient.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but I love my necromancer, and I guess I don't see how he can be very competent in hell-diff games. Perhaps there is more reliance on gear than I'd give credit for...I mean, the only +skills items I have at the moment are an Ume's Lament, and an Unraveller Head that gives +2 to necro skills. I know, I know "Egad! Myth! Your equipment sucks!"...but is that really all it is?

Again, I'm sorry for being a paranoid n00b...just wanna know if I should continue on or what :). Don't wanna give up my Dark Arts.

-Mythren

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

summoner is NOT good at all for meph runs the point//stats look ok (except what you pointed out) Even at those (skill)levels you're skelies should be doing ok

try a few points into corpse explosion (or a wand//head that gives +corpse explosion saves 2 points) to help your skelies out while levling

also try getting a might merc (act 2 nightmare offensive) if you are on West Sc L I might have some lower lvl necro gear

3. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

There is nothing seriously wrong that I can see. What merc do you have? What level are you and your Merc? Often problems can be because you are getting ahead of yourself and fighting monsters that have a level higher than you and your skellies. In that case the problem can be solved by leveling up.

Plus 4 skills in Nightmare is low but not bad. Getting a Necromancer Amulet with +1 All skills or upto + 3 Summoning would help a lot and can be gambled if you have high enough level. If you want a cheap +1 helmet try the Lore Runeword (Ort + Sol) which is very good for a Necro.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The Skellies look good. The build is pretty solid. You could try to pump some into the AI curses. This should make things easier.

There are other areas that are easier to MF when you are a Summoner. The Pit is one such area.

5. Melloweitsj

Melloweitsj IncGamers Member

Glad someone made a post for the Commando-Mancer :)

Im just curious, what do people do after they have maxed skellies, mastery, maybe psn dagger and some prereq. What do you do with the rest of the points? Anything specific that could be good with a PvP build in mind? Mages, Poison Nova, Bone Spirit + synergies or bone wall (marrowwalks)?
    Any input i would appreciate.

6. Mythren

Mythren IncGamers Member

Alright...maybe I'm just overthinking it :).

I'm using an Act2 Offensive (Might) Merc, he's lvl 57, I'm 58 now.

And yeah, I play on USWest Ladder, Softcore...I'm not usually one for taking handouts, but hey - I'm not one for turning them down either :). Account name is *myth1986 :).

I'll make a few MF runs into the pit and see if I can come up with anything good, and see if it's a bit easier for me to fight in :).

Thanks for all your help, guys!

-Mythren

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Usually I max Mages. Sometimes CE. Curses also get some points.

I don't know a lot about PvP, so I can't help you with PvP issues.

8. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

first should have said if you are on USwest and WANT i can... (just be polite)

second PvP is HARD with summoner

third you might want to lvl a bit in pubby nm baals befor you tackle any hell

9. tamrend

tamrend IncGamers Member

Odd. I'm at level 60 with almost the same build and item quality, just some stat differences and some points in bone spells instead of curses. I'm having little problem. I think the biggest difference is probably that I use Corpse Explosion and Bone Wall.

I do find that nightmare Meph runs are a bit tedious (sometimes requiring a trip to act 1 to replenish skellies).

EDIT: I'm working on Baal in nightmare. Tried it at 56, but it was taking a lot of time and trips to replace lost skellies, so I decided to gain some more levels/EQ and come back. The ancients were easy. I killed them with a slightly lower level paladin and ended up taking out two on my own and helping with most of the last.

10. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I'll help you level a bit. Acount is DeadFukker.

HoS

11. Melloweitsj

Melloweitsj IncGamers Member

Doesnt anyone here know what would wokr ok with a commandomancer? Ive read all around the foru, but havent found much. It seems to me that using mages would be the best, just swarm the opponent in PvP, but since ive already used points in PSN dagger i could go that route aswell. Seems alittle hard to use any bone spells now.

And one other question, how do i fight PvP with a summoner? :)
    Just fire up my squad and then we battle it out? im not allowed to regenerate them under the fight? Its like this i thought it would be, but before 1.10 i thought it was BM to use summons.

Thx

12. pliu

pliu Banned

This guy should be kick *** in Nightmare difficult with a might merc. Only missing from your build is that I did not see you have CE.

13. wickedWinter

wickedWinter IncGamers Member

Only run the Pit when you are in Hell difficulty. Doing it in NM doesn't really do much for ya.

Use Corpse Explosion, it'll help you out immensely.

A summoner will have problems in PvP. Most other character types can wipe out your summons, or simply disregard them. Monsters in Diablo have an AI that causes them to engage the skeletons. Other players just want to kill your Necro and can easily avoid your summons, or dismantle them.

Maybe someone else has other PvP experience with a 1.10 summoner. My thought is that you'll only be beating people with IM and they carelessly melee your summons.

Plus, if you die, or lose skeletons, you have to go and get new ones. That's a bit rough in terms of the flow of PvP.

14. TCO

TCO IncGamers Member

For a PvP i think you could use a staff or amulet with teleport charges.. Teleporting in front of your rival with all the summons that you have..

This could be a nice idea for a summoner..

15. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

corpse explosion - get it, use it, love it...

16. Been Bad

Been Bad IncGamers Member

IMHO, your build is fine, except I really dislike mages. Later on in hell they suck A, IMHO.

17. pliu

pliu Banned

It seem that skeletons not allow in PvP. And Skellimane is not for PvP :D