Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

eBOTD archon staff pvp'er

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by TitusOostingg, Nov 19, 2006.

1. TitusOostingg

TitusOostingg IncGamers Member

eBOTD archon staff pvp'er

Hi all
    Recently I found an eth archon staff and made a BOTD out of it which I want to build a pvp'er around. From what I've read charge seems like a cool skill to build around- I read about 'magekillers', which I believe are charge-based (I like the name.. magekillers)?

(I have hardly any experience in pvp by the way. Occasionally duel with my charged bolt sorceress but that's it really).

For equipment, I'm planning some elemental absorb in raven, tgod and dwarf star. Armor will probably be fortitude as that's about the only good armor I have (feel free to make suggestions though). Haven't decided about other gear yet.

Anyway, feel free to suggest a build that makes good use of the staff. And if charge goes well with it, I'd like some pointers as to what other skills to max / what to focus on :smiley:

Thanks!

2. Murderface

Murderface IncGamers Member

that sounds like an amazing idea, you could always pop a circlet on and call yourself a monk..... Anyways, i've seen archon staves doing some nice damage, especially eth ones. about a build idea i would use charge. If you can get good at shift charging you can destroy sorcresses and other tele'ers.

3. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

Why is your staff better than normal gear ?

A staff takes 2 hands so no shield and you give up blocking 75% of the melee attacks.

A grief phase blade should do tons more damage and be lots faster.

4. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Block won't matter if he's 'magekiller'. Speed doesn't affect charge.

Though I'll still prefer grief zerk + sanc sacred targe (or hoz) over that ebotd. Though it'll still work.

5. jsyou

jsyou Banned

ebotd archons staff have very low requirement you can get massive life with a charge pally mainly for killing elemental pvpers.

just max all the resist auras max charge use guardian angel and all kind of absorb gear and go nuts

6. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Archon staffs also have a very narrow damage range. They have almost the same avg damage as the more commonly used 2handers, but the minimum damage is a lot higher, making it a more safe way to constantly deal damage.
    As for the low reqs, making a vita build is quite easy.

And we can't forget the style points either.

7. greyoldfellow

greyoldfellow IncGamers Member

eInsight Archon Staff > eBotd Archon Staff, especially if u have points in prayer.

8. LorveN

But then you should also have cleansing as your active aura for double prayerboost, which limits your offensive abilities. (Not that they'll be bad, I have one myself, but still.)
    And for that, elder staffs and shillelaghs work too. Lot easier as they have max 4sockets.

9. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Worst Grief PB = 373 average damage.
    Perfect Grief PB = 433 average damage.
    Worst eBotD Archon = 614 average damage.
    Perfect eBotD Archon = 683 average damage.

You were saying?

Also, weapon speed is irrelevant while Charging, and the rest of the BotD mods are a ton better than the Grief mods (Crazy leech, +30 all stats). And then there's the whole requirements thing. An eBotD Archon requires 28 Strength and ZERO Dex (and gives +30 to all stats, remember), while a Grief PB requires 25 strength and 136 Dex.

Don't max Resist Auras if you're wearing Guardian Angel. GA + 10 points in each Resist Aura will get you to the 95% max resistance cap.

10. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Actually SSoG, I believe an EBotD Archon needs only 18 strength... not that it matters too much. You can still use it without investing ANY stats.

11. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Arreat lists Archon Staves as requiring 34 strength, and BotD has Requirements -20%. You're right, though- either way, it's entirely doable with a pure Vit build.

12. LorveN

You are missing the ethereal "bonus" on reqs. :idea:

13. SirBeetle

SirBeetle IncGamers Member

I thought a botd archon staff was used primarily for ww barbs/vita barbs.

14. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Are the attack speeds up to par for whirlwind?

That sounds like a good idea. It might not be cookie cutter but after a few cookie cutter builds, who isnt for something out of the norm? Plus, people will make fun of you for using a staff until you kill them, five times...

15. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Aha, that's it. Thanks. :azn:

16. TitusOostingg

TitusOostingg IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I recently used charge for the first time and I love it :laugh: when holding down shift you continuously run at very high speed which is awesome; sucks having low mana atm though. To address some of the replies;

- What does one mean by shift charging? I already set charge on left click thus using shift to charge, but is there a special technique to it?

- At first, when someone suggested making botd out of the staff, I also thought 'how can a paladin be good when missing a shield'. Now I actually really don't mind as good pala shields are so expensive anyway :p

- 'just max all the resist auras' - what good does this do?? I thought they only work when they're the active aura? If that's true, I'd say salvation is much better.

- What I really like about the build, which some of you mentioned, is that I can put every single stat point into vitality (the str req is indeed 18). I think skillers aren't that necessary, so I plan to fill the inventory with life small charms.

Finally, would you suggest Guardian Angel over fortitude? Also, I'm not sure what gloves would be useful for this build.

17. jsyou

jsyou Banned

every 2 points you put into either fire/light/cold resist auras it gives you 1 point maximum resist permenantly.

if you max all of them auras 60 skill points gives you 10max cold/fire/light resist which puts to 85 put on guardian angel and you got all 95% resist all.

best build imo is to max charge,fanaticsm 10 points into fire/cold/light this gives you 5 max resist to all except poison use guardian angel and you have 95% resist. for the rest of the gear just stack as much as resist as possible and you wont ever die to elemental characters

18. greyoldfellow

greyoldfellow IncGamers Member

Imho its still better(as long it is eth) as u have enormous ar bonus, and big chance to do double dmg. And u dont need to have cleansing active, as u heal anyway.

BTW, does the "+6 to Critical Strike" increases with +skills?

19. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Guardian Angel gives +15% to all maximum resistances, giving you 90% Maximum Resists. From there, you only need +5% more max resist, which is only 10 points in each resist aura.

If you're wearing Guardian Angel, and you put more than 10 points in any Resist Aura, you're wasting points (unless it synergizes your main skill).

The +6 to Critical Strike from Insight will be increased with either +All Skills, or +Critical Strike (only available on Peace). +Amazon Skills, +Passive & Magic Skills, or +Paladin Skills won't boost it at all- only +All Skills (such as from SoJ or Mara's), or else the Peace armor.

20. the boss

the boss IncGamers Member

um...you can't use ETH insight, as it'll break after awhile...

I'd still think Archon staff ebotd for melee druids better....

I'd just pick Ebotd TM or Ebotd War Pike for chargers...