Ebola is a friggen joke

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
The U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Disease in Maryland injected monkeys with the vaccines and then 28 days later with the viruses. The monkeys survived.
The opening scene shows animal rights activists breaking into a compound full of monkeys. Some monkeys are forced to watch violent images on television while some just bang on their cages wildly. A scientist comes in and warns the activists that the monkeys are infected with "rage", a virus that is highly contagious, not to mention dangerous. The activists disregard the warning and free the monkeys. The monkeys instantly start infecting everyone. 28 days later...
Watch out for the zombies!

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
if there was no more stupidity there would be no more intelligence either. There would be no more drinking either... which would suck.

Eff

Banned
i don't think finding a cure for micawks means it's over with humans too. there was a breakout amongst monkeys a few years ago in which a bunch of the apes in a zoo got infected and eventually died, yet the ebola they had wasn't compatible with humans. i assume if it works one way, it would the other

It generally takes a while from finding it works on animals to getting it out to folk around the world. Lots of testing, waiting and beaurocracy. But 100% success rate seems like it could really work on humans as well.
Oh eff, theres a spelling mistake in your sig, see, i cunningly cant type properly so that people quoting me also copy the mistake. That, or i just dont cehck my posts.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Keldaris said:
hmmm, now all we need is to cure cancer, aids, and stupidity.

Ahh man I wish. Esp the big C. I have to actually sit here and think of who hasn't died around my area becasue of cancer.

KillJoyBob

Diabloii.Net Member
The last outbreak of Marburg was due to some guys finding a dead chimpanzee in the bush, taking it home and eating it. :eek:

As far the vaccine goes, we're "safe" until the next mutation pops up. Avian Flu anyone!?

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Bloody vengeance

The filoviruses (the family of viruses to which Marburg and Ebola belong to) don't mutate frequently and when they do, they don't create a more virulent organism (as they have nearly 90% mortality rates anyway).

Some subspecies (or serovars) of the Ebola virus don't affect humans at all (most notably Ebola Reston, which Eff already mentioned; only monkeys get the virus and die from it). Finding a vaccine for these viruses is a must; currently, victims of Ebola Zaire and Ebola Sudan (or Ebola Gabon) have nothing to look forward to except a violent and painful, gory death. Marburg victims have at least a chance of surviving (Marburg only has a 30-40% mortality rate) but they will still suffer during recovery.

KillJoyBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Necrolestes said:
The filoviruses (the family of viruses to which Marburg and Ebola belong to) don't mutate frequently and when they do, they don't create a more virulent organism (as they have nearly 90% mortality rates anyway).

Some subspecies (or serovars) of the Ebola virus don't affect humans at all (most notably Ebola Reston, which Eff already mentioned; only monkeys get the virus and die from it). Finding a vaccine for these viruses is a must; currently, victims of Ebola Zaire and Ebola Sudan (or Ebola Gabon) have nothing to look forward to except a violent and painful, gory death. Marburg victims have at least a chance of surviving (Marburg only has a 30-40% mortality rate) but they will still suffer during recovery.
Thanks, very informative.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
SirKnightmare said:
If you like that you will like The Hot Zone. Excellent book all about Ebola and Marburg.
Seconded; in fact, most of Robert Preston's stuff is good quality & informative. Another, even more interesting one (to my mind) was Ken Alibek's Biohazard. Who says, "what you don't know won't hurt you"?

KillJoyBob said:
The last outbreak of Marburg was due to some guys finding a dead chimpanzee in the bush, taking it home and eating it. :eek:
Usually, whne i find roadkill in the bushes, i tend not to eat it, but thats just me.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Keldaris said:
hmmm, now all we need is to cure cancer, aids, and stupidity.
That's great new if it does transfer over to work on humans.

And we may one day find a cure for Cancer and Aids but Stupidity is here to stay I'm afraid...

KnightFall