East Softcore ladder account hacked :(

jag

Diabloii.Net Member
East Softcore ladder account hacked :(

Just to report that its happened to me too. One of my sons accounts was stripped today in the last hour or 2 (he was playing earlier). Luckily he had only 1 fairly well equipped character on that account that items were taken from. Oddly enough they left behind a near perfect arachnids mesh.

His password was a word with numbers, nothing easily guessed or at all similar to his account name or character names.

No, I dont have maphack or any other 3rd party programs. No, passwords were not at all similar to email account/forum/any other sites passwords. No, I don't buy items from questionable sites, etc.....

I have changed passwords on both his accounts and all of mine.

No need for an interrogation - i have been playing this game a long time so i know how these threads are usually handled. Not even looking for sympathy -- just reporting the situation so that people are aware. Maybe we should all be changing passwords on regular basis, no idea if that will help

ZygFryD

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to report that its happened to me too. One of my sons accounts was stripped today in the last hour or 2 (he was playing earlier). Luckily he had only 1 fairly well equipped character on that account that items were taken from. Oddly enough they left behind a near perfect arachnids mesh.

His password was a word with numbers, nothing easily guessed or at all similar to his account name or character names.

No, I dont have maphack or any other 3rd party programs. No, passwords were not at all similar to email account/forum/any other sites passwords. No, I don't buy items from questionable sites, etc.....

I have changed passwords on both his accounts and all of mine.

No need for an interrogation - i have been playing this game a long time so i know how these threads are usually handled. Not even looking for sympathy -- just reporting the situation so that people are aware. Maybe we should all be changing passwords on regular basis, no idea if that will help
I feel your pain. I was once hacked 2, when I was only starting out. Oddly enough, yesterday entered to a game in which some was "giving away" his account, but you had to IAM him first. Needless to say, I screamed scammer for a long time.

jag

Diabloii.Net Member
hmmmm friend of mine was perming a character and has message history... screenshot to follow shortly......

You'd be surprised how many times I've gotten into friends private games, when I don't know the password. You can usually guess what it is, after seeing a few of their game titles in sequence. Their response usually is something like "wth?". I also visit the newsgroup alt.games.diablo2 quite frequently, and I rarely see anyone complaining about being hacked. I think there is something else going on. It's not really possible to brute force these accounts, you get locked out after so many wrong attempts.

jag

Diabloii.Net Member
the message

starting from bottom showes him leaving bnet - i blanked out another friends name :smiley:

then the robber came and went into MDG game which tells me that he new my son since he often uses than game name for solo play. I think i know who this is from his friends list - even appears he messaged someone else on his friends list so he has 2 people to be concerned about

then robber comes in and out of games - then left.

My son is a dueller and talks to alot of unsavory types in duel games. Nothing would or could be discussed to clue them in on his password though....