Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Easiest Viable MF Character to Start?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Shadowshifter, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

Easiest Viable MF Character to Start?

Hey, I just started playing Ladder, so I wanted to get some input on what character to start. I need a char that can MF Hell Baal with minimal twinking.. I've heard that the Hammerdin and the Skelemancer were good choices, but I don't want to screw up after realizing that it can't kill squat in Hell. Thanks in advance!

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Meteorb sorc is good for a start, nothing much gonna be immune, tele without needing enigma, I would go for it. You could go for a hammerdin, but they aren't as good for boss running, or doing quick runs to the pit/masoleum etc.. imo.

3. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

Start with Hell Meph before going to Hell Baal or whatever other areas in the game that can drop anything. If you are starting, you need more volume and variety before trying to get the really hard to find stuff.

4. [C.A.P]NoKturnaL

[C.A.P]NoKturnaL IncGamers Member

If you want Meph, make a all fire sorc (max Fire Ball, Meteor, Fire Mastery, then Fire Bolt... 5 points into Warmth and 1 into the first Cold armor there is.

If you want Baal then the easiest would probably be a Hammerdin Pally.

5. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Starting out I'd look for a cheap runner character... i.e. a sorce... That way you can teleport and MF in nightmare to get what you need to MF in hell. That would be Quick...

EASY would be the Skelliemancer: The strategy never changes, go to Pindle and summon your army before Pindle's wakes up then: Walk, Amp, Stand, Walk, Amp, Stand, etc...

6. soulss12

soulss12 IncGamers Member

i completely agree with sorc running meph starting out. I would go for a Blizzard sorc cause even with **** gear you're still murdering meph.

7. Shadowshifter

Thanks for all the input. I suppose that I'll make a sorc, but should I make it a Meteorb or a Blizz? Which one would be cheaper and (hopefully) more versatile?

8. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

Skellimancers aer no doubt teh easiest outta them

9. royalesse

Versatility is the Meteorb... Personally... I wen't blizzard. Then you hang around NM until you find: Guillame's Face, Rattlecage, and a Hone Sudan. It's all low lvl norm or nm stuff but it rocks on a Merc. Then you can use your merc for the cold immunes in hell and Blizz for everything else. Also the cold effect of the blizzard will keep the baddies from running too far b/c of rattlecage and it will also keep the merc from getting swamped.

You can either go Defiance or Prayer merc. You won't need a might merc since the damage will come from the Crushing blow on the equipment. I wen't prayer since with the equipment he's life leech poor (2 shaels & 1 Amn in the Hone).

10. Anksun

Anksun IncGamers Member

If i would start a caracther, i would still go Hammerdin, same as first time.

And for magic find, well, you could used some fast cast rate and all the rest of equipment of 4sockets crappy armor with ptopaz same for shield and you have 200 mf right there for nothing... And yes, even with those, you'll do ok in hell... For example, the pits would still be as easy as it can be...

Used Sorceress for Mephisto. Maybe have said do Fire one, others do Cold one. I could add do lightning one since it honestly dont really matter which sorceress for mephisto... lightning a bit harder maybe (MAYBE) but you will be able to do the pits as well with her.

11. soulss12

soulss12 IncGamers Member

my first character was also a hammerdin ( before the entire hammerdin craze hit ) on the first day of ladder. I was very happy with his damage and versatility as far as being able to kill in ANY situation. and sure they can solo pits without much tweaking in hell. But as someone has stated before.....when you're starting out you wanna go for quantity and get your character set up and going very well off instead of searching for the best items right off the bat.
    ............. I picked a blizzard sorc for my first char next ladder season b/c a blizzard sorc CAN murder meph with crap equip and very do it very well. not only that i can run ancient tunnels very very fast .... and this is naked lol. So i can run meph fast for my quantity items and masouleum and ancient tunnels for my high end stuff. as you can see this makes for lots of items in no time and therefore the prime choice for a first char.

12. Shadowshifter

So a Blizzard sorc is a good first char? What would be the general skill placement? 20 in Blizzard and its synergies? How much in Cold Mastery?

13. royalesse

1 Warmth
    Max Blizzard
    10-17 Cold Mastery
    Max Ice Blast
    Max Glacial Spike
    Max Ice bolt
    Max Mastery
    Frozen Armor

Is my usual progression... some say 10 in cold mastery to start and then max last. I prefer ice blast over glacial spike since it has a longer freeze time than glacial spike. Be familiar with 'the moat trick' for Meph it will make your life easier. Also try and max the crushing blow on your merc it will make your runs Immensly faster.

Anksun: the lightning tree is a poor choice for your first char since it's mana hungry. You'll need good equipment to make up for either your low mana or your low life. The spells aren't timered and are spamable so you're meant to fire them off like a machine gun... Meteor and Blizzard aren't.

P.S. Wizendraw is a cheesy inexpensive way to get more -enemy cold resists.

14. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Everyone suggesting sorc to go for Meph? How about doing Eldritch with a LF Java? You can level and MF at the same time, how convenient. Slap on 200 MF and level from 50-70 at Eldritch NM, from 70-85++ at Eldritch Hell. You could easily do that with your starting javelins, your Valk will be able to take out LI Eld with ease, so even your merc gear won't matter.

15. [C.A.P]NoKturnaL

[C.A.P]NoKturnaL IncGamers Member

He's correct.

My LF Zon could solo everything in Hell at lvl 77 with ease. Just summon Valk infront of you where the monsters are and let her get hit while you LF them to death. Quite easy. Only thing LF Zons suck for are the big Bosses like Meph/Diablo/Baal. Other then that everythings easy.

16. QuickShifter

QuickShifter IncGamers Member

Personaly i find hammerdins too weak defensively against ranged attackers with starter/ladder gear. My hammerdin get slaughthered by the burning spirits in worldstone keep and he has maxed lighting resistances.

No i think for a starter character you need to have teleport or a good crowd controll skill like Dim Vision (Necro) or cloak of shadows (Assasin).

17. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I give you meph, because he can be pretty nasty, but Diablo and Baal are wusses. And Charged Strike ist the one skill to rule them all. Just 20 Points in each LF and CS will give 3.5k average lightning damage per hit. Add another synergy and +10 skills and we reach 13k average lightning damage per hit. Add a Thunderstroke for -15% enemy lr and 11fpa with 20ias gloves. Add Griffons for a further -15-20% enemy lr. Admire the speed at which your Zon pokes Dia to death - while looking cute like a squirrel.

18. DeatCreation

DeatCreation IncGamers Member

I agree that a fire sorc, blizz sorc, bonemancer and hammeridian are all good. But I would still suggest a lightening trapsin, they do good dmg w/o any tweaking at all (i think it's about 4k per lightening) and you won't have to worry about lags as you sit behind the traps and watch it kill as Baal's minions get shreaded. And (check me on this one) I think that neither Baal's minion nor Baal have lightening immunity in Hell.

I wish you good luck on whatever you are deciding to build.

19. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

1.10 has changed things up a bit.

As we all remember, in 1.09, physical attackers were considered only "okay" for magic finding. Casters, being nearly as powerful and vastly less equipment dependent, were favored for magic finding. Only two non-caster builds were considered efficient enough to warrant playing for MF: whirlwind barbarians and amazons.

Now in 1.10, the question is simpler to answer. Casters, who were already favored for MF, are now vastly more powerful than non-casters. In fact, the characters that see the most discussion in 1.10 are casters who are completely appropriate for magic finding. It could also be that the ladder split has made magic finding extremely popular. Either way, just stick to the most popular set of characters and you'll do fine.

20. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

you do realize you said mastery twice ;)