Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Earth Shifter ?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by MaskOfSeasons, Mar 5, 2004.

1. MaskOfSeasons

MaskOfSeasons IncGamers Member

Earth Shifter ?

I was just wondering I read all the elemental druid guides and NO one even MENTIONNED earth shifter. I understand the benefit there is from using a shield, etc. But it's still +7 to elemental skills. So is there just something I'm missing ? :scratch:

Worst case scenario, you could use it only on weapon switch, to 'precast' hurricane and cylcone armor. Just a thought.

Any comments appreciated.

MaskOfSeasons

2. frend? or foe!

frend? or foe! IncGamers Member

earth shifter would be great for a elemental druid cept for one thing
    it needs 253str to equip it thats waaayy to much for any caster type
    character imo

3. Gibberish

Gibberish IncGamers Member

Is 200 Str too much for an Elemental druid?

You could always socket the Shifter, it would bring the STR down to around 200.

4. frend? or foe!

well maybe a fire druid could scrape it but i think windys would benefit more with extra vit and a shield only my oppinion mind u! :scratch:

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

If you're using Enigma then MAYBE you can use to prebuff Cyclone Armor...but often if you are using Enigma you're using CTA and want that on switch

2200//232 str is 2 much
    it's very slow for attack
    and it's really slow cast

6. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

No cast.
    No shield.
    quick comparison.

Hoto & SS
    133 str required
    +3 skills (all btw, which includes summons and BO)
    +35% dr
    +40% fcr
    +30-40 resist all with an additional 65 cold and 25 light, not to mention a possible +22 more)
    +75% block
    +400ish defense

Earthshifter
    200ish str required
    -20 fcr
    +4 elemental
    -35% dr
    -400 defense
    -all those resists
    -75% block

7. petri

petri IncGamers Member

Hi,
    While I agree that Earthshifter is pretty much worthless for an elementalist, I wouldn't say it is totally worthless.

The one build that this weapon works ok for is a wolf/geddon build, and possibly a bear/geddon build (although this weapon is entirely too slow for a bear in my opinion).

So, is the wolf/geddon a good build in general? Not really, but it is a lot of fun!

With my wolf/geddon build, I opted to go low/medium on wolf skills and put as many into synergies as I could. So at level 80ish my skill points were roughly:

20 fury
    20 geddon
    20 volc
    ~12 lyc
    ~8 werewolf
    prereq's

And from here on out its all into arm synergies, so if I get him to lvl 90 he'll have ~30 pts in synergies.

Observations:
    1.) Earthshifter is a very damaging weapon, so your max damage is around 6500-7000, but its also slow with a 7 frame fury (shaeled). I did a damage analysis previously (from TheDragoon's site) and Earthshifter was ~5th or so in avg. physical dmg per frame for the elite uniques, so its not too bad damage/frame wise. The problem is you're hitting slow enough that leeching can become a problem...a 4-5 frame fury allows a smoothly continuous leech in hell which is nice for 2H wolfs in my opinion.

2.) Its a bit of a glass cannon build... i.e. you have to raise your strength a lot, plus there aren't really enough skill points for a decent oak, so your hp won't be too high. Damage reduction items are key to surviving in hell ( I found I have less than 2k life). Also its hard to get maxed resists with this build if you are going the damage reduction route.

3.) AR can be a bit of an issue. With no points in dex, and a lower level werewolf skill your attack rating isn't great (I think mine is around 5.5-6k now). I used steel charms for added ar, and at level 80 I'm around ~65%-75% to hit in worldstone, hell.

All of that having been said, this build is still a lot of fun. He's terrificallly damaging, with a high damage fury, combined with a ~3k damage geddon. Toss on enough damage reduce, and use a pair of unique vampirebone gloves, along with a Reaper's Toll equiped merc, and I find he kills quite quickly even in Worldstone with a full game in hell, even if he does die occasionally.

8. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

I really gota say it that a druid is the easiest melee class to build, and the only melee class besides rediculously high BO barb, that can use a two handed weapon without dying while pushing the pace fast. After playing melee necro in 1.10 and killing hell baal in less than 30 seconds with someone else mfing in othere acts (so it had more hps), I gota say that anything above 2k life (my necro barely broke 1100 hps) is really easy to keep alive.... with that in mind...

Earth shifter is a huge weapon!

+250-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    +7 To Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
    25% Chance To Cast Level 14 Fissure On Striking
    10% Increased Attack Speed
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    10% Faster Cast Rate
    Level 14 Volcano (30 charges)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Cblow on it rox, use that plus some crafted 10% cblow gloves and 20 ias, use a nosferatu belt, thats 40% total ias, put a 40/15% in Jala's(if you dont mind using a duped rune) and it goes 55%. druids get good speed with a big club thing. it would totally compliment a NON-SHIFTING build. I would personally put a ed% ias in the weapon as well to get it all up to 70% ias, in non shifted form, its rather quick... because:

253 strength ='s 280%+ Enhanced damage on an elite maul type of thing. You wouldnt need that much ar if you pooped out a good HoWolverine, wore a ravenfrost (mines 224/20 dex) and a bul kathos on the other hand.

you could do fissure to kill everything fire immune then smash with a stick the rest. consider a might merc with HoW and all that huge strength plus +ed% items.... youll do amazingly well, i promise you. I did the math on this weapon/build long ago. its a good build, also note that you could have a weapon switch of something simple like a Sanctuary elite shield and a simple dark clan crusher to crack into tougher res all needing areas.
    I never had any dr besides a shako on any of my builds before, it just gets some being used to having to dodge and strike. faster runwalk and faster hit recovery make up for dr% any day. (the feared gloams that everyone oddly builds their chars around nowadays are cake if you can recover from their blast and move out of it quickly)

theres my 2 cents

oh i just figured on something!

the bash club has 14th level charges of Volcano.

you really could use this for fissure synergies instead of maxing fissure!
    I never realized that till this thread.

heres a nice build that i could make:

earth shifter
    jalal's
    bul katho
    ravenfrost
    whatever boots (49 wt's for me)
    nosferatu
    Mara's (dont like this amulet but for this build its quite needed if you dont have a super good +2 rare)
    a few Elemental gc's, a few max/ar sc's, some life, a little poison
    10% cblow 20 ias blood gloves
    1220 Enigma dusk
    -----------

max fissure/firestorm, non in volcano
    Max grizzly
    12-15 in dire
    15 in HoW
    5 or so in spirit wolves (i always do this for summons)
    1 in carrion vine

resonable build that will be done before 90. none in energy. some in dex not much. Strength items: mara 5, wartrav 10, 15 nosferatu, 65 or so from enigma, jalal's is 20 ='s 115 strength from reasonable gear!! thats only needing 138 or so base str. not bad.

could put a lot into vit and be ok.

9. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

you can fit 9 +2 str charms (with other stats possibly) and 10 elemental GC with 6 to str and one anni charm, brings you to 9x2+10x6+lets say perfect stat 20 annihilus=an extra 98 str, I believe that would be enough str for anyone to use this weapon on switch. or even as a main weapon o_O

something to think about

although if you use all those charms I suppose you would gain even more benefits the other way, if you put nothing into str.

you could still *EVEN* pull off wearing the 200str require earthshifter, using enigma and another ring or ammy with +str, or even jalals, which has +20 str.

so it is very possible to use this weapon with no points in str even!

10. memememe173

It will still be really slow on a Non-shifter

other weapons have better//just as good CB one hand

11. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I ment to use it as a precast weapon
    and it seems best suited to a fire elementalist then a wind, since fire doesn't rely on fast cast at all.

12. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

its something called a fire-meleementalist

fire requires no fcr as stated before and u can me melee for fun

its a neat pvm build

13. frend? or foe!

just a thought will u have enough ar to hit anything with that weapon in hell though? in reality i think you would still be just a elementalist but with a big
    usless hammer, no shield and +7 elemental skills! just my thoughts :idea:

14. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

hmm :scratch: well what if you shifted into WW and used fury. You could cast fissure on a group which lasts 3.2 sec to weaken them, then shapeshift to a WW and fury relying on the 25% chance to cast a lvl 14 fissure on striking to at least appear like ur still casting.

Skills = 110
    20 fissure
    20 firestorm
    20 grizzly
    20 fury
    10 dire
    10 HOW
    3 WW
    7 prereqs

With a lvl 15 WW and a shealed Earth Shifter you reach a 12/7 fury (still slow)

You could use a Jalas for str and resists or Ceberus' for the AR if you really need(both of which can give u 4 to shapeshifting) or Ravenlore for the -fire resists

Throw on an Enigma or CoH, arachnids, +2 skills ammy, raven, BK, anyone of the unique elite gloves or helmouth for more fire spell effects (just for fun)

what do you think

15. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

it would make sense to use a cerebus
    for the high ar increase

16. petri

petri IncGamers Member

pseudoenviro,

If you check this same thread a few posts earlier you will see the wolf/geddon build that I mentioned (I didn't go into much detail about gear/etc., but I listed skillpoints, and some pros/cons of the build). You mentioned casting fissure for dmg, then shifting...well don't forget that wolfs/bears can now cast armageddon even when they are shifted! This is a new feature of 1.10, and this weapon is one which allows you to take advantage of that new feature.

I wouldn't recommend unshifting to cast fissure again, I'd just stay shifted, cast your armageddon, and fury away. You end up casting the lvl14 fissure around once per fury, so its essentially always on.

I agree that cerebrus may not be a bad idea for the increased AR, but the problem with that is you lose 2 to ele skills versus Jalals. And you don't really have enough points to pump the armageddon synergies vs. a pure geddon elementalists, so you will rely on +skills to help get your geddon damage high.

Anyways, I would definitely suggest you try this. Your fury isn't the fastest, but it hits hard, and you also will have a pretty fair (~3K or more) geddon supporting you. Killing isn't an issue, but staying alive is.

17. Stosh the Overseer

Stosh the Overseer IncGamers Member

18. memememe173

19. frend? or foe!

i think what stosh is trying to say is if u are going to shift then unshift and back again to cast spells then fury, why not shift to bear form shockwave
    then back to wolf and fury the "wink" at the end gave it away! :spy:

20. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

Fissure then WW takes advantage of the lvl 14 volcano charges that are on the maul to use as a free synergy to fissure. I was trying to bridge the caster and meleeist. If you get armaggedon then you lose the benefit of the charges and your more of just a melee with some rocks falling.

Ive made fire druids that only use fissure to kill and it works great except against fire immunes. Just imagine if you could kill from a distance and then you see your minions are taking a beating or see a pack of fire immunes. Just shift and get in there to save them.

The toughest part of this would be achieving a good balance between plus skills for fissure and important physical damage mods like ow, pmh, ds....

now if only I could find a earthshifter to test this out.