Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Earphones!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ThomasJohnsen, Dec 6, 2015.

1. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

I just got a new pair of headphones. Not the most expensive kind, but most definately not a cheap product either. I am pretty pleased with the sound, but the balance seems way off. Background music is extremely loud while actual talk is quite low. I have tried flicking some of the controls up and down (the product dosen't have an own driver and is currently running with a surround sound speaker driver in windows 7; google chrome browser), but nothing really seems to change except the general volume. Does anyone know how to set the sound up properly?

(If the name of the product is important, I can supply it in a later post).

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Regards Tom.

2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Are you specifically referencing D2 as the problem, or is this just in general?

3. ThomasJohnsen

I doubt D2 is causing it. I'm just comfortable using this place since I pop by several times a day, and people allways seem eager to help with all sorts of issues. Someone here might have run into a similar problem and found a fix for it; and if not I'll just use the earphones as they are.
    Guess I probably should have posted the question in one of the OT-threads though, is what you're getting at.

4. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Think of earphones as just another hardware extension for your sound card. They probably won't have any drivers, which means you'll need to adjust the settings through your sound card, which should have some kind of mixer program where you can adjust the detailed settings for your sound output. Most programs have some auto settings for headphones, which give a different kind of sound than normal pc speakers.

5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Oh, you're fine, I just wasn't sure if it was just a problem while playing d2 or not.

The headset I use has always been just fine the way it came. There should be some basic options if you right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen, but you may have tried that already.

It seems like an odd problem, as they shouldn't change the balance, unless you have a nice speaker setup already maybe. I just use a basic double speaker normally.

6. ThomasJohnsen

@japanzaman: Well the previous set of earphones worked fine with my sound card, which is why I suspected the new set to be set up incorrectly. I didn't stumble upon any settings for the sound card either - just some general surround settings, which really didn't do alot. Maybe my sound card uses a generic driver of some sort that dosen't have detailed settings.

@kestegs: I haven't even tried the earphones with D2 yet. And I don't use speakers at all - I live in an apartment where sound travels easily through the walls and I try to pretoct the neighbours from my odd tastes in music and the like. I think I have tried every setting available to me. I spent about 2 hours fiddling with the thing last night.

There is a remote button on the chord of the earphones, which is supposed to be used to skip songs etc. But I have come to think that this button might be what is causing the problems. When the button is pressed down, the balance is fine in the earphones, and when it is released, the balance is terrible again. Could it be some sort of bad/faulty wiring? At the moment a piece of scotch tape has been the solution, but I expect keeping the button pressed will cause some other problems at a later point.
    I payed 600 dkr. (~ $100) for the earphones, which is quite alot for me. And if I cannot get them to work properly without scotch tape, I think I will return them to the store. The sound is great though (with the tape) and they are an excellent fit on my head and ears, so I'd prefer to get them working (Btw. the earphones only came with a small folder explaining the remote button and such - no manual, disc or similar).

Thanks for the inputs so far. I really appreciate any help I can get - I have 10 thumbs when it comes to technical things.

7. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Fubared. Return/refund ASAP.

Can I have an amazon link to the headset in question so I can see what you bought? We might be able to use that as a template to help you find something better and less expensive.

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  8. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

Agreed with @Dredd.
    return/refund and possibly ask the thread for a suggestion for an alternative while you are at it.

There are handful of great gaming headsets at around the same cost,
    and lots of other decent non-gaming headsets that go for two-thirds of it.

Also, just to clarify, is it earphones or headsets?
    If it's earphones... We should be able to find one lot cheaper. =P

9. ThomasJohnsen

Well actually it's a headset - sorry for the confusion. English is not my native tounge :)
    And thanks for the inputs - I guess I'll throw it back to the store then. But I also think I'll try antoher one of the same set, since I really like the sound and feel of the set on my head. I tried quite a few others, and many were too tight/small or too heavy. And I use the computer for streaming and tv as well, so I'll be using them a couple of hours a day on average and comfort is a main issue.

It's a Marshall Major II headset bought in Elgiganten (link is http://www.elgiganten.dk/product/tv.../marshall-major-ii-on-ear-hovedtelefoner-sort) or from the Marshall homepage (link https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_dk_en/major-ii-pitch-black [which is slow and has a $500 higher price :)[)

#EDIT: Sorry it's ofc a $50 higher price. So much for my math skills.

10. Dredd

My concern was that you might have bought one of those unholy GAMORZ USB headsets (for which you pay a premium price for average audio/mic quality... but hey, THEY HAVE FLASHING LEDs). Fortunately, it appears you have much better taste. Those Marshalls are a pretty good set of cans for that price point.

My only issue is the silly (and vulnerable) remote/mic on the cord, but I digress. Since you like the sound quality (when it works), perhaps there's just a defect in the remote. No reason not to try again with a fresh pair.

Before you do that though: Do you have anything else around the house that you can plug those headphones into to see if the problem persists? A smartphone, an old MP3 player or - better yet - another computer (or a friend's computer)? Let's see if the issue can be reproduced on a different system.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Or try a different 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable.

12. ThomasJohnsen

I do not own a smartphone or a tablet; nor do I have a replacement cable. I did however try the headset in my other computer (which is quite a bit newer) and to my surprise it worked perfectly there.
    So great advice guys. The headset appears to be working correctly - it's just my old computer, that cannot handle such a new and modern headset. I guess that's a the price you pay for still using old hardware.

I knew this was the right place to post such a question :)
    As allways plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people.
    Thanks a bunch - you all saved me an embarassing trip to the store where a clerk would've proven to me that the headset actually works as it is supposed to.

13. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

I had a small suspicion about the sound settings when you first mentioned the button;
    but I was unsure if the headset had a mic or not.

Is it possible that your 'older' computer has an EQ?
    and that it switches back and forth between two settings when you press and unpress the button?

14. ThomasJohnsen

It might have. I bought it used and placed some of my own components in it, when my previous motherboard started to malfunction a year or so ago. And to be honest, I'm unsure how I would go about checking that.
    Control-panel -> sound gives me some options for changing quite a few properties by selecting a unit and clicking properties. But I have been through each page and screen of these properties and have tested them all - none of them change sound-settings relevant to the problem. Is there an equalizer setting somewhere else?

15. Dredd

Okay, well that's good news... and bad news. Now it's time to troubleshoot the PC. I'm not sure how helpful I can be for this part, but I'll try. Anyway:

Self-built PC or prefab?
    Approximately how old is the system?
    Dedicated or onboard sound card? Can you find the brand/model number for it?

- I'm very suspicious about that "surround sound speaker driver for Windows 7" that you mentioned in your OP. If you can, disable that and test the headphones.

- Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Settings. A window will pop up. Look for any settings you can fiddle with (I understand that you have no speakers plugged in but you might be able to configure sound card settings from here).

If no results: Open start menu, type "dxdiag" in the search bar and then run the dxdiag.exe program. A window should open up after a moment or two. At the bottom of that window are some buttons. Click "Save All Information". That should generate a text file on your desktop. Post that text file here.

16. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

My daughter had a dell a while ago that had some god awful software to "improve" the sound. I ended up disabling all of it. All the EQ settings will make it sound worse.

Also use JRiver on a PC for your music files.

17. ThomasJohnsen

My appologies. I haven't had time to delve into any of this today - it has been a crazy day. Nor do I have time to do it now, since I have a very early start tomorrow at work. I promise that I will look into it tomorrow afternoon/evening.
    All your help is very much appreciated, and I appologize again for my somewhat hectic schedule.

18. ThomasJohnsen

I have yet to determine if the card has an equalizer. I have made some progress though (see below).

It's an older (approx between 5-7 years in my estimation) PC that I bought used and placed my previous harddrive in. Upon the first run, there were alot of trouble with drivers etc. with the windows installation, which might explain the odd sound-card driver.
    However I managed to locate some actual sound-card settings. The card is called a Realtek HD audio card, and the driver is updated and active. It has settings for the card and the speakers (which in this case is a headset) both including settings for Environment and Distortion (my translation - a setting for Pop, Party etc. when playing music). There are also settings for quality, speaker-konfiguration, spacial correction and something called DTS Link, which dosen't seem applicable except for surround sound. The settings are currently "No environment", "No distortion", "No spacial correction", "Stereo speaker configuration" plus the quality settings that haven't been touched.
    The headset is still flawed however on this computer, and I expect I'll just have to content with it as is. I have spent alot of time and fiddled alot with what seems like hundreds of setting to no avail.

Yeah - my other computer is a Dell. It was stocked with all sorts of useless software. I had a mate, who is a systems admin, clean it up (the base virus checker is like a virus in and of itself - it basically popped up windows all the time and decided to download updates at extemely inconvenient times).
    I don't have music on my computer(s) at all - I just use spotify.

Thanks for all the help to all the posters.
    Tom

[I will close this thread for input - I'm pretty busy at the moment, and simply don't really have the fime to fiddle with this. And that is just not fair to someone posting. I think I'll just switch the 2 computers, so I use the Dell as my primary PC].