Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

E-shield tank viable?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Sordith, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

E-shield tank viable?

Im sure this has been tried before but i cant seem to find any posts on it, anyway, this is an idea for pvp.

Basically i was thinking of making a tanky sorc using-

40 eshield
    max warmth (boost it with + skills)
    max tk

and the sorc needs to have an insane amount of mana, so stats would be something like-

str as required (minimum amount, maybe boost with stat gear?)
    no dex
    no vit
    all energy

Now the idea behind is to use the 95% taken from eshield and hopefully the insane mana pool will regen like theres no tommorow.

gear used would be roughly,

sojs
    silkweave
    frosties
    (wizards spike?)
    call to arms switch

essentially mana gear, the whole build is based on the mana regen and i dunno how fast itd regen with say 5k mana.

Downfall of this sorc is the damage output but im not concerned with that for now. So would it work you rckn? or would a fireball sorc just come along throw a fireball ball my way and there goes my mana taking ages to regen.

:scratch:

2. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

There was a calculator for ES and how much Damage goes to mana you need to maintain it. I would look for that, and use it planning your sorc. Using things like Nightsmoke, you can significantly improve the mana pool regen. Something to think about...

3. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

yea Ive had a look at that, the problem is that u need so many thousand % of damage to mana because the eshield is at 95%. So say an Ama fires an arrow at me, it goes through the 1/6th pvp penalty then 5% of that makes it through the eshield and then if I have any sort of PDR i might get hit for say 25 damage. So itd take alot of damage to mana to replensih my mana. Nice suggestion, as you can see I thought about it unfortunatly not viable.

4. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

I had one on single player. This one didn't have all the points in Energy, but she could tank like crazy. The mana pool barely moves much at all. I only tried using her in the Bloody Foothills (to tank) and the River of Flame and she did fine. She has enough points left to basically max out one skill and that skills synergy plus a little in Mastery.

5. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

Thats good to hear :thumbsup:

yea i was thinking of using FO as it only has 1 synergy and 1 point in cold mastery.

6. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

% to mana

Good point. The only other issue with ES really is the elemental dmg bug. That COULD cause problems, though the enormous mana pool would help make up for it.

7. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

Whats the elemental dmg bug? (been out of d2 for awhile just starting 1.10)

8. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

There is another post on ES that details it pretty well, try a search on Energy Shield. Basically, for elemental attacks, the damage inflicted ignores your resistances as far as ES is concerned. So even if you have max resists, your entire mana pool could vaporize from a strong elemental attack. The damage you actually take would be less, but you lose a lot of mana in the process.

9. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

Ah yes, I believe resistances are actually calculated after (correct me if Im wrong). I considered this, all lightning and fire attacks will most likely tear through my mana, e.g. trappers, fohers and Fireball sorcs. Now im thinking that it is safe to assume that with teleport fireballs should be reasonably easy to dodge (havnt pked at all in 1.10 so not 100% sure :p ) I think that traps count as minions and as such the 1/6th penalty doesnt apply some other one does (no idea what) so I rckn trappers could be my bane.

But i think (sot sure remember seeing a post somewhere) that when faced with cold attacks, the cold mastery wont factor in till the resistances so cold sorcs shouldnt hurt too bad.

10. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

The problem in PvP is the damage output. An Energy Shield Sorc like you plan on is viable PvM (I have one, Matriarch, 3 players all the way through Hell) but players do alot more damage than monsters even after the PvP penalty. Monsters don't fire 2k Fire Balls at 9 frames per Fireball, to give an example. And that 2k Fireball takes around 1400 mana, where the maximum mana you'll have is in the 2-2.5k range. Which means 2 Fireball hits will kill you. Now the Fireball is one example, but almost every class can deal those amounts of damage (though you would probably own bone necros...their damage is relatively low, just no way other than ES to reduce it effectively).

11. Sordith

Sordith IncGamers Member

yea ive been thinking about it today, the whole basis of this build was basically to regen mana extremely fast and i must emphasise extremely. I did some calculations and i got that if a sorc has a 6k mana and 500% regen youd regen 300 mana/sec. Which a.) doesnt seem fast enough and b.) Im not sure howd ud get to 6k.

So yea unfortunatly, while feasible for pvm I think im going to abandon the idea, as its really not an option for pvp especially pubbies. Im not even sure if I will get energy shield at all now.

12. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

1) E shield cannot tank everything well
    2) -- Hence you shouldn't think of tanking everything with E shield

3) E shield is good against melee, bone necro, some Hammerdin,
    4) For elemental attacker, (stacked) 95% resis + absorb = no prob

13. Wayfarer

Wayfarer IncGamers Member

Yeah I was gonna say 'bout the elemental damage thing...it's really nasty, especially with those Black Souls in Hell when you're doing Baal runs. They just drain your mana in seconds and then drain your health pretty damn fast too, leaving you dead in about 10 seconds or less.

The problem is it'd be the same with a sorc relying on mana shield to tank for her. If all the mana is gone, you're literally screwed, because you've invested all your points in energy and therefore have little or no health as a backup. It might have been viable pre-1.10 but not anymore, due to the elemental damage bug. Nice idea, though.

EDIT: I forgot to add the thing about how the elemental damage works in 1.10 (or so I've heard)...The bug is that it doesn't check your resistances before cutting into mana shield, and AFTER all your mana is gone, THEN it checks your resistances and applies the right amount of damage. The correct way to do it would be to check resists first before doing any damage to mana shield, but it doesn't work that way in 1.10. (Keep in mind this may or may not be correct, etc. Based on what I've heard about the bug.)

14. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Energy shield tanks everything except for poison and maybe charge (untested by me, zharezz said so though). It's a good idea if you have good equipment. And you can reach 4000 mana like that, then you can take 2 fire balls, teleport away, regenerate mana and have only lost like 50 life :). In PvM energy shield is the true badass though. I had a SP sorc which tanked 2 bosspacks of black souls + 1 bosspack of minotaurs for about 20 seconds :drool: then her mana was down for 2/3d. I teleported out and had lost like 250 of my 1600 life.........

That was a perfect sorceress though. 1 point warmth, 20 telekinesis and slvl 40 energy shield.

15. Zarhrezz

Specialized ES sorcs work well too...Matriarch Coldkill is my mf ES sorc...max FO and ~18 CM and of course 20/20 on TK/ES. She can tank Mephisto w/o any life loss with 246 mf, 371 on switch. I just had her do a Baal run which went pretty smooth, except for a few merc deaths in the Throne Room...I might have to switch from Defiance to HF. Killing Baal was a bit slow though...his mana vortex kinda sux if you're totally depentant on your mana...and those damned tentacles are CI :rant: Blood Mana isn't that big an issue, if you just bring a few healing potions.

16. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

Everybody is calling this resist-calculated-after-ES thing a "bug" - why? I think blizzard intentionally programmed the game that way. Otherwise ES would be way too overpowered, esp for PvM. I would call it a feature or property but not a bug.
    My 2 cents...
    -AnQ

17. Zarhrezz

Correct...it's merely a result of changes in the order that damage resolution are handled. Alot of people call it a bug because what they did before doesn't work anymore. This is a well balanced change though and like you say, not a bug.