Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dying because of Armor/Resist nerf?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Inntinn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Inntinn

Inntinn IncGamers Member

Anyone?
    Seems really bad (for me at least)
    Suddenly I am dying of packs that never even used to do real damage before :s
    In seconds even

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

There was a nerf?

My barb has been getting hit a lot harder by fire damage recently, but I'm still leveling him (59), so I just thought that was because I'm moving into areas that are a bit beyond the gear he has.

3. MoneyMike

MoneyMike IncGamers Member

I've definitely taken a few more deaths because of the nerf. It's messed up that they didn't even mention it, I could see HC people being pretty angry.

Unless of course it was some kind of accident or unintended change.

4. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

Where is your source for this change?

5. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

My source is the fact that a few days ago, I could take anything in Act 1 Inferno with near 300mf on and only need to consider how I approached a pack if it had a particularly nasty set of movement restricting mods and Arcane Enhanced. Now, every single champ pack that does any sort of damage beyond straight physical damage is causing me to run back a bit and rethink how I'm going about it. This includes reflects damage, which *never* gave me issues before.

That doesn't just magically change.

6. zUkUu

zUkUu IncGamers Member

called perception.

7. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

It's a bug, most likely. Blizzard wouldn't make a change to something like this without announcing it in big bold letters in numerous places.
    There's already known bugs with damage mitigation (some attacks don't check AR or AC, one or the other), so this may simply be a new crop.

Test it. See if armor or all resist affects it at all. That's how you'll know.

8. Inntinn

Inntinn IncGamers Member

My source is my experiences
    Backed up by those of others
    Plus when trying to find if something had changed because my char hasn't I came across countless threads on the official EU AND US forums on the same subject, everyone noticing a change...

9. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

On the same token, simply saying "I'm dying more where I didn't before" isn't very helpful. You need to be more specific.

10. alexm

alexm IncGamers Member

Act 2 inferno goblin runs were harmless to me running through enemies. Now its almost instant death. There has definatly been a change.

11. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Perception in this case would be if I was using a potion while taking damage, and assumed I was not taking damage. Then, when I wasn't using a potion while fighting an identical pack, made the assumption that there was a change in damage being done to me.

In reality, I'm seeing an observable change in how much damage packs are doing while having farmed Act 1 Inferno for weeks now--with the exact same setup. When the first few packs were suddenly a lot more difficult, I worked under the assumption that, yes, this was my perception. Now having fought many, there's no question that there is a vast difference in damage being done *and* the type of damage that I am suddenly getting hit harder from.

Risingred: From what I've seen, resistances do seem to still work. They just don't work as well. I don't have hard numbers, but it's clear that I take less damage when using my non-magic find setup and negate far more damage. Also, for the record, the only reason I put that setup on was to test the damage. I hadn't used it in about a week before I decided something needed to be tested, so it's not that I had been using it and then suddenly switched back to the MF gear for a shock at damage increase or anything.

12. ScottieK

ScottieK IncGamers Member

This isn't perception.
    Have a look on official forums
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079749053
    Already a lot of talk about it. Also no blue response yet.
    Also this hidden bug/ninja change happened to coincide with RMAH GOLD: 25c per 100k

Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. Still no real blue response on it. Has been 1 blue response a little while ago saying nothing was changed server side...but MANY MANY people have noticed this obvious change. Myself included.

13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

All the more reason to just delete my Barb maybe?

Most of my MF effort as of late is in hopes of making this character even A1 viable. My Wizard can clear the first third of A2 in gear that would elicit LOLs from most people. Of course, she doesn't care much about fire damage. She doesn't have to stand in it while trying to kill stuff.

Why do melee classes always get the poopy end of the stick?

14. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

In patch 1.0.3 vanilla, we changed how much damage certain monsters do. There are still a few monster variants that are doing too much damage, but those are bugged and are hopefully going to be fixed in 1.0.4.

Risingred is probably right. it's a bug rather than a intentional change. in any event, good job guys for noticing it. you're really earning your beta tester pay checks. if it were up to me. i would give you a 3% discount on your next blizz purchase.

on a side note:
    Thanks guys. As a Quality Assurance Analyst I have absolutely nothing to hide from you. I don't work for the Community team nor do I report to PR.
    lulz...did he just throw the CM and PR under the bus?

15. LiftedUp

LiftedUp Diablo: IncGamers Member

Rising: are you aware that Blizzard made Diablo 3? They'd cook up all sorts of crap without announcing it.

16. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

There is a lengthy post on reddit about how it seems that all resist is not affecting on the ground effects but armor is still offering mitigation. I did a few tests and it definitely seems like that is the case. I am currently getting hit in act3 for 1800 a tick on molten which with 9.5k armor and 1055 fire resist was and should not be the case and wasn't the case previously.

I did a few tests by using a storm shield vs a dread shield with very high armor as well as mixing passives that gave me more armor and it seems like armor is the only source of mitigation being calculated for molten, plagued, and mortar. It also seems to been after the most recent patch 1.0.3b.

Also for those who are curious the fire from the grates in the keep depths don't take any mitigation into effect.

17. Inntinn

Inntinn IncGamers Member

Molten and Arcane is the only two things I keep dying from (where I never did) in Act1 even.
    It's actually gotten to a point where I am quitting games now because of it :S

18. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

With the way offensive properties are tiered you're going to see those two a LOT. Not the best plan.

19. Inntinn

Inntinn IncGamers Member

It's not a plan.
    It's quitting.. with great rage and furious anger

For dying multiple times on a pack I wouldn't even have considered a threat 2 days ago

20. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

No deaths for me yet, but I'm def. playing more carefully now (HC)