DVD Burners, and How to Identify Them

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
DVD Burners, and How to Identify Them

I'm trying to burn a DVD, and I need to know how to make sure my computer has that capability before going out and buying a bunch of DVDRWs. My CD burning software shows that I have the capability to rip a DVD, but I don't know if that translates to being able to create one.

Also, what is the speed that most DVDs run at? I need one that is 4x or lower, is that a special kind?

Thanks. :wave:

Re: DVD Burners, and How to Identify Them

You should be able to see it in System Profiler. If you can see the front panel of your drive it usually says if it can burn disks or not.

The DVD speed is just the speed that the disk can safely be burned, you should be fine with a pack from Wal-Mart or someplace, if they are rated higher it won't hurt.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member

if you use nero or other burning software it will say what media can be used

worst case look up your system specs and see if it says
dvd/rw = read/write
dvd/rom = read only

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Why do you need to burn at 4x? You want to read it in an old drive? Just make sure you set the burning speed in Nero or whatever you're using. And find something to do with your time while you're waiting.

You should be able to see it in System Profiler. If you can see the front panel of your drive it usually says if it can burn disks or not.
Unless the shop ran out of black bezels and used one from a different machine like mine...

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member

My burning software says I can copy a DVD, but my drive says DVDROM. Am I screwed?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

I take it you don't have any of the original manuals or install discs or anything? You could always put in a blank and see what happens. They cost practically nothing these days.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

What does it say on the DVD unit? RW Symbol? Anything?

Holysinner

Diabloii.Net Member

This can't be that hard. I assumed from KOW's reference to System Profiler that you're a Mac user. If not, and you're a Windows user, you can find the drive info in Device Manager. In either case, even if it's not clear from the description listed if the drive is recordable/re-writable, surely you can look up the model number online and find out pretty quickly.

This can't be that hard. I assumed from KOW's reference to System Profiler that you're a Mac user. If not, and you're a Windows user, you can find the drive info in Device Manager. In either case, even if it's not clear from the description listed if the drive is recordable/re-writable, surely you can look up the model number online and find out pretty quickly.
Yeah, I got my terms mixed up there.