Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Duriel

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by SilkenKidden, Apr 5, 2004.

1. SilkenKidden

SilkenKidden IncGamers Member

Duriel

This guy deserves his own thread at least. Scanning the forum, I find he is mentioned, just barely, in a number of guides. I need more than that.

Da*n this game, with no save/restore function. Every time Duriel kills me it takes ages to fight my way back through the tomb only to immediately get killed again. I'm in a loop with this.

I have one mercenary now that I've had a long time. She's level 17. I don't think another would be any better. If I let her go can I get her back later? I have some low defense armor with lots of magic find and a high defense (80) with some resistences too. Neither makes much difference. Neither does casting frost armor first.

Any tips for a Sorceress in single player mode? I'm using a bow. Should I get a melee weapon? I read that I need to get in close to this guy.

2. dlantz

dlantz IncGamers Member

Can we get more info about your char? where your skill pts are spent, what level you are, etc? Without anymore info though, I highly recommend something that makes you immune to being frozen and a bunch of rejuv potions for your merc. If static Duriel while the merc tanks and you keep feeding him potions, you should be alright.

Really need to know your skills to help more than that though.

3. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

Prevent Freeze wont work, duriel has holy freeze.

Dont use a bow, use a shield and at least youll have some block

Get an Act 2 merc, you wont be able to get your rogue back but im sure youll like your act 2 better.

If your cold Sorc.... ahh you have a long fight ahead of you, feed your merc pots and just fire away..

If your fire or light... still gonna be along one.

I also suggest using Town Portals... Place one right before you enter duriels chamber... no walk needed..?

4. wise_man

wise_man IncGamers Member

First of all, each time you enter back to Duriel cast a town portal. this way you won't have to fight your way back every time.

Now, if you have Teleport it would help immensly, since it's hard to dodge Duriel just by running.

I suggest letting your Act 2 mercenary do the job, while you help from behind and avoid Duriel by Teleporting. when you see he's gonna die (and that's gonna happen a lot) teleport to the town portal, or open a new one where you are and go back to town for refill.

If your mercenary dies you can ressurect him as long as you don't hire other mercenary, but don't get used to that - it costs money.

I share your hatred to this creature and hope you succeed in killing it.

Good Luck!

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

just 1 pt static will eat him alive. nowadays i can sliver him within 1 of his attacks.

last few times i did him in normal, i didn't die once.

6. SilkenKidden

My character:

Level 23
    Str 64 (with charms, etc.)
    Dex 41
    Vit 36
    Ener 71
    Attack 3-18 (bow)
    Attack 66-86 (fire ball)
    Life 149
    Mana 164
    Fire R. 0
    Cold R. 9
    Lightning R 26
    Poison R 16

The Act 1 Merc

Level 17
    Str 52
    Dex 73
    Dam 15-29
    Def 242
    Life 75
    All resist. 28

I'll try your advice about the potions and static. Where can I buy rejuv. potions in Act 2? Drognan and Lysander don't have them. Thanks.

7. SilkenKidden

I'm a fire sorc, aiming for meteor and forzen orb. My Act 1 Merc is level 17. The best Act 2 Merc is level 12. Is that really a good trade? I wish I had known at the beginning the act that it's not a good idea to advance an old one. Should I trade in the Act 2 Merc when (if) I get to Act 3?

Placing a Town Portal just before entering Duriel's chamber doesn't help. Once I die, the portal dies too. I tried placing one inside his chamber, but that just took too much valuable time. I clicked out of there too quickly and when I went back I panicked and got killed anyway.

8. Superhal

don't quit the game after you die. if you do, the portal disappears.

once you enter the chamber, hold down static. he should be near death by the time he reaches you.

or, run in a big square and use whatever else you have.

the merc should take 1 hit for you, giving you enough time to a) run, or b) set up a town portal.

9. flaming parrots

flaming parrots IncGamers Member

Hotkey town portal and make sure you cast a new one every time you go back in from town.

10. SilkenKidden

That's what worked. My problem had been that every time I'd die, I'd exit and save the game and then re-enter so that I'd have my body back. But if you do that, you lose the portal.

Killing Duriel took nothing more than mindless perseverance. I'd die, go resurrect my Merc, head back through the portal, cast another, enter Duriel's cave, and get off one or two fire balls at him. Then he'd kill me and I'd repeat the cycle. He didn't regen points between each time I died, so I was finally able to kill him.

I suppose later on I'll meet creatures who regen. Is that ture? Wouldn't it be nice if I could do all the fights as easily and stupidly as I did this one.

So, why am I playing this game, you might ask. I'm asking myself that too:) I want to find the magic items and dress my sorceress up in pretty armor, even if she looks the same on the playing screen no matter what she wears. I want to find "sets" and items with maximum sockets.

The only times I ever enjoy fighting in an RPG is when I can use a little strategy - find the right spell for the creature or perhaps the right weapon. But I don't think I'll find any of that in this game. So I'll settle for the magic items.

BTW, Superthal and others said use static field against Duriel. It didn't put a dent in him. But I didn't think to hold down the key. Well, he's gone now. I could redo him. I did save my saves:) To heck with that!

After I killed him with my fire balls I gathered up my four corpses in between portal trips to town to empty my inventory.

11. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

static only does noticable dam on a monster till the monster is like one/half life left. since static takes away like a percentage of a monster's life points.
    tat's wat i did too. i died like 6 times to duriel and finally killed him.

12. flaming parrots

Yeah, you just have to spam static until half his life is gone and then smack him/run away through your tp to get your health back :D

13. Superhal

not in normal. you can take him down all the way with it.

14. flaming parrots

I onyl do that if I have a party as well. Otherwise it's usually better to just use whatever else I have. Although I usually party up in normal anyways >.>

15. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Would you have waited 1 lvl you could have gotten Meteor :p
    With Meteor and Static Field, tping back to town when your Merc dies you should have NO problem at all killing Duriel. That fat bug does not like Fire at all :cheesy:

16. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Erm, your merc levels just like you. He even gets experience from the monsters that YOU kill. The best mercenary from Normal is IMO the act2 Combat mercenary. He has Prayer aura, which means he'll regenerate life much faster.

This is not true to my knowledge. When I enter dangerous area's with a fragile character, I ALWAYS put a TP just outside, just for this purpose. The TP does however dissapear when you use it to get back, so you need to recast it every time you die.

17. Watzit2ya

Watzit2ya IncGamers Member

If you only had 1 point in static field your radius would be next to nothing, my guess is you werent in range because youd have to be standing in melee with duriel for the lvl 1 static to work. Trust me youd notice static field working in normal.

Static is and always has been one of the best sorc skills imo :)

18. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

You will notice that you are in range for using Static Field you will see a little "zapping lightning animation" on the body of that monster for each time that you press the mousebutton you assigned static Field too.

lvl1 requires melee range, meaning right up to the monster. Higher lvl Static Field (mostly achieved through +skills...) will make it safer for you to use, since you can zap monsters inside a bigger radius.

Like Watzit2ya said, Static Field is a 1 point wonder :) No other spell can reduce the HP of a group of monsters that fast and convinient, unless they are Lightning immune :teeth:

19. Superhal

i just did it again today. merc took 3 duriel hits (duriel ignored me) and i slivered him down to nothing with static. took 1 hit to kill him, duriel and merc died at the same time.

andariel too.

my computer messed up on mephisto, so i was stuck for about 10 seconds. merc was dead, but i was able to make a run for it. i should have res'd the merc. took 2-3 trips for meph, and he killed me twice. overall though it only took 1 minute.