Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

duriel demon

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by bernadette, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bernadette

bernadette IncGamers Member

duriel demon

Can someone please tell me how to kill the duriel demon in tal rasha's chamber.

2. yelopen

yelopen IncGamers Member

i think you attack it... :eek:

lol duh you just attack it
    if you're sorc, amazon, elemental druid, trap assassin, or bone/summoning necro
    stay away from him and hit him wit your spells
    when he comes at you run away to another spot

if you're pally, melee druid, barb, or martial assassin
    go toe-to-toe with him and wack him as fast as you can and drink potions(duh)

or you could always ask me to help you... :D
    my account name is:

yelopen

3. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

My strategy usually includes:

1) Get an act 2 defensive merc (weapon with life leach if possible).

2) Create a town portal as soon as you enter the room (so you have somewhere to run when you run out of potions.

Duriels "holy freeze" mod is unavoidable at any level. You can slow her (I will always think of Duriel as a "she") down by using holy freeze (if you are a paladin) or using any kind of cold attack. Even a 1-2 cold damage charm will help. Use the tp if you need to in order to restock your potions and resurect your merc.

This is my generic advice on Duriel, what kind of character are you using?

4. bernadette

I am an amazon and have two different weapons one is the deadly brandistock of frost the other is the cruel flight long battle bow ,both of these have cold damage to them and I also have the amulet with cold damage. I run I attack and still end up dead with no damage done to the demon. Is there anything else I can do .

5. Lensor

Lensor Banned

Don't know your level, but one reason you are having problems could be that you are just too small yet, maybe exp up a couple of levels and try again? For an bow amazon dex is really important, maybe you are not hitting her with your attack? Look at your character screen for "chance to hit". You are not saying which skills you use? Make sure you have at least one point in all your available passive skills. Especially critical strike is important. You should concentrate on either javazon/spear or bow skills, not both (unless you are rich and/or really know what you are doing). There are a lot of nice guides in the amazon forum.

To lessen the effect of Duriels freeze aura you can drink a thawing potion just as you enter the room (thawing potion gives your cold resist a big boost for a time). You can also feed your merc thawing potions. Make sure your merc is wearing ok equipment (something with life leech is important).

Your eqiupment should include some cold resist and/or "cannot be frozen", faster run/walk (the more the better), increased attack speed (as much as you can get basically) and faster hit recovery. Fhr grand charms drop already from act1 normal, so a couple of those should be easy to find.

6. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

what lvl are u and how much damage do u do ? u should really get an act 2 defensive merc to tank duriel for u, while u shoot him from a distance. Also check ur attack rating. If u have 5% chance to hit duriel, u are probably going to end up dead yes. Do u have any problems with other monsters in act 2 ?

PS: u could buy a few thawing potions and drink one before the fight with duriel, so u take less damage from his holy freeze

edit: u beat me 2 it lenzor !:(:)

7. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

don't just buy and drink 1 thawing potion. Drink multiple and give multiple to your merc (Drop on his/her picture). The duration of thawing potions stack, so you can up your resists for a long time by drinking more and more.

8. SirDooFuss

This will help with the cold damage that comes from Duriels holy freeze, but NOT the slowing effect.
    Hybrid zons used to be an easier build in v1.09, but in v1.10 with the various skill synergies you really must pick stick or bow. In your position I would probably give the brandistock to an act 2 merc (LOD expansion only) and go for the bow skills. As said before, what skills are you using in your passives and the main attack? Use that portal trick to leave the room before you die and stock up on potions. If you are dieing too fast to get to the portal, you probably need more points in vitality.
    Duriel is a great monster for gauging how you have built your character. Mistakes made this early in the game can usually be overcome.

Good luck and keep us posted.

9. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

If you're in a multiplayer game party up with people. It's much easier. If you are going solo then run the tombs and get a few more levels under your belt.

Duriel is a problem for most characters in Normal solo.

10. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Duriel is a problem for amazons, especially bowazons at low level. You might be better off spearing him while chugging health potions.

Or just join a public game and do it in a party.

11. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

In hardcore facing Duriel alone its wise to delay confrontation or go fully prepared.

A big belt with 3 rows at least is desirable.

If using skills that use lots of mana load up 2 columns with mana and two rows with rejuvenation potions.You can make these in your cube. Have your pack loaded with spares.

If you have trouble binding a portal scroll to a key place a scroll in the bottom row of one of your mana columns and make the portal away from the centre of the chamber but not exactly in a corner.

Get ready to hit belt for a purple when you first enter!

Take time equipping yourself and mercenary and level up the mercenary.I find 3 socket breastplates with rubies 2 socket helms with rubies are good.Find or shop for the hardest hitting/fastest (preferably socketed)weapon for him too.

Practice shift/left click on the potions in your pack and shift/rightclick on the potions in your belt to keep your merc alive.

And good luck of course! :)

12. Lensor

Lensor Banned

Learn something new every day :thumbsup:, which is why i still read the newcomer forum even though i've played the game for years :D

13. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

y didnt know that either. Does it also count for poison?( like in antidote potions)

14. bernadette

Here is some more info on my game. I'm at level 27 and currently have the following gear the russet crown of balance ,the tangerine field plate,plated belt of strength, vidala snare amulet, hsarus iron heel chain boots and the viper figer gauntlets,my weapon is the deadly brandistock of frost. I have tried to run from the demon I have tried to make a portal out of the chamber and have been non successful. I have also tried some of the replies to my question. Thanks for the help so far but I'm still in need of more help.

15. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

bernadette,

well, you're level is plenty high enough...most people suggest taking on duriel around level 18-20. Are you playing a single player mod?

Are you playing single player? If you are, you want to use the "/players x" command to set the players to 1. Easy up Duriel's hitpoints a little.

I have some other ideas, but it might help to know some more information about your character first.

What are your stats? (str/dex/life/mana). What skills do you have points in? What level is your merc? What type is (s)he and what gear does (s)he use? what are the stats on your gear? [Most people around here know the set (green) items, unique (gold) items, and runeword (also gold) items by name, so we can figure out the stats for them, but the other items I know I'm floundering on. For magic (blue) items it's a pain to figure out stats based on the name (i know tangerine is lightning resist, but i don't have any idea how much). For crafted(orange) and rare(yellow) items. it's impossible to figure out what they are by their name.]

Yup. It works for poison too. There was some discussion of this on the statistics or strategy forum a month or two ago. It seems to have been added in 1.10. There was a large bug/feature debate that. I tend to only use it around andariel and Act 2, or when i'm trying to level up a merc that's well out of his league.

16. SirDooFuss

EDIT: thegiantturtle beat me to the punch!;)

Thanks for the additional info. At your level you should have no problem with Duriel.
    1) What are your stat point allocations (Strength, dexterity, vitality, energy)

2) Where have you put your skill points? Specifically how many (if any) in each passive skill and what skill from the Javalin and Spear skills are you using on Duriel.

3) What merc/hireling are you using and what equipment are they using (if you are not using LOD expansion you cannot give your merc equipment).

Regarding the portal out of the chamber, are you unable or does duriel kill you before you have a chance to?
    You should have at least one point in Decoy in order to get Valkyrie at level 30, even a one skill point decoy should help with duriel.

Let us know!

17. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

In Normal, I recommend using a shield with characters that have no castable minions (no matter what build they will have later). Drognan sells Bone Shields of Deflecting (65% base blocking for amazons). For a 1h-weapon, I recommend a runeword: 'Steel' (TirEl) Flail. Even some of my sorceresses (that weren´t going to be fighters later) have used this weapon/shield combo to good effect. Even if you die or retreat, the Open Wounds will continue to do damage a couple of more seconds.

Jabbing or using Charged Strike with a decent javelin is a good option for you, I think. Having a shield makes this fight a lot easier.

If you have Decoy, use that. A lot.

Saving up a bunch of Healing potions (the 3rd size, those that can drop in the seven tombs) and rejuvenation potions is a good idea (and cube up one column of full rejuves, to use in emergencies).

During the fight, I (and my merc) usually drink healing potions often (I have them 'working in the background' the whole time) and I try to let my character and the merc 'take turns' being the tank.

The Thawing Potion tactics is very solid. Try to have at least 35% cold resist as well. Duriel is a lot less scary when you have 85% cold resistance.