Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Duriel AI behavior

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by scwizard, Jul 14, 2010.

1. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

Duriel AI behavior

Hi, I was convinced I could surely defeat Duriel on normal mode with an amazon if I can get him to attack my merc instead of me. However he ignored by merc and charged straight at me and I died.

How do you get Duriel to attack your merc instead of you? Also if he ignores your merc no matter what, what sort of skills and strategy can you use to beat him on normal with an amazon?

2. BurnsLikeHell

BurnsLikeHell IncGamers Member

Re: Duriel AI behavior

Got Decoy?

3. scwizard

Decoy is level 24. Last time I ended up at Duriel at level 20. I could probably get to 22 or something by clearing the gold chest levels, but getting to 24 before Duriel without breaking roguelike style (hardcore, single session per act) is unlikely.

EDIT: Browsing through the "similar threads" it seems that people have had mercs tank Duriel for them in the past, so that's the main question here. Why my merc was unable to do the same.

4. BurnsLikeHell

BurnsLikeHell IncGamers Member

Did he get the first attack or you?

5. scwizard

I don't remember.

Will Duriel "lock on" to whichever character he attacks first?

If so how does he choose which character he attacks first? And how can I make it so that my merc is the one who is attacked first?

6. DRCL

DRCL IncGamers Member

If you were out in front or attacked him first, he'll most likely go after you..
    So once you jump in, just back up and let your merc take the hits..

Also, just cause it happened once, doesn't mean it'll happen each time (unless you're rushing him head on..), so revive the merc and go again :\

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If Duriel ignores your merc, run away, so he's busy with following you while the merc attacks and deals damage. As soon as he starts attacking the merc, attack him. Have an eye at the life of your merc. At the typical level for normal mode, they can die within 3 seconds when fighting act bosses. You don't have to drag the potion over the merc icon, you can do that by pressing shift + belt slot number.

Which type of weapon is your zon using BTW, bow, javelins or spear?

8. fudoshin

fudoshin IncGamers Member

merc on this level cant survive usually against duri.my merc usually die after few pulses of hf.u cant really rely on merc.just maybe make edge and heal him, or cast Lt from some charged wand etc.poison,ow and patience.duri on normal is problem for most of chars and builds.i find that is better fight not run away, because the most dangerous is charge.problem is hf.but if u are lucky, sometimes on normal u can kill duri before he starts casting hf.thawing potions,half freeze duration items, good cold resistance, fhr. and be careful on hc, so tp first of all ;)

9. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Duriel smash, raaaawh!!!

10. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Duriel doesn't use Charge (at least, not any more): in Normal, he's dangerous because his Jab attack has a good chance of applying 30-35 cold damage from level 5 Holy Freeze three times in quick succession (by comparison, he only applies approximately 2-3 physical damage per Jab attack).

pharphis likes this.
  11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, now that you say it, I cannot remember that Duriel has ever charged one of my characters in this season, up to hell mode. However, I have only two characters so far and I only go to there for the quest, so I doubt that my observations add enough evidence :scratchchin:

12. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

thawing potions should take care of that. With 75 resistance, that's about 8-ish damage. You can do the same with your merc btw IIRC.

As for defeating him. The best you can do is run and keep running, getting a hit off when you can and return to town when needed.
    And don't run out of townportals.

13. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

I investigated this recently and after I failed to observe Duriel using Charge, I took a closer look and ran some tests. I looked at MonAi.txt to see what it had to say about Duriel AI, and cross-referenced that with the entries in the AI parameter (aip) fields of MonStats.txt:

Code:
    AIP   MONAI DESCRIPTION   DIFFICULTY LEVEL
                              Normal   Nightmare   Hell
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1     holy freeze level        5           5      6
    2     smite?                  33          33     33
    3     jab?                    50          50     50
    4     att2?
    5     charge?

When I tested this, I discovered that the entry in the aip1 field determined HF level, that in the aip2 field determined the percentage of attacks which were Smite, and that in the aip3 field determined the percentage of attacks which were Jab: when 0 was entered in the aip2 and aip3 fields, and 100 was entered in the aip5 field, Charge was used exclusively, with its distinctive sound and animation (the same as Bash... and Crushing Blow). Once I'd seen this, it became very clear to me that I hadn't seen Duriel charge.

So the lack of entries in the aip5 fields means that Duriel never uses Charge any more: I don't know when this changed but it could have been as far back as the release of 1.10, with memories of prior patches leaving an indelible mark... although perhaps it's more likely that it changed in 1.11, with the introduction of the uber variety in the Pandemonium Event.

What he does currently use is an A1 attack, Smite (applying A2 damage and attack rating) and Jab (applying S1 damage and attack rating):

Code:
    ATTACK        % FREQUENCY   PARAMETER            DIFFICULTY LEVEL
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATTACK (A1)            17   Base Damage           19-25       63-85   140-190
                                Base AR                 444       1,188     3,874
    SMITE  (A2)            33   Base Damage           19-22       51-74   115-165
                                Base AR                 556       1,620     5,283
                                Level                     7          10        14
                                Stun (Seconds)          1.8         2.4       3.2
    JAB    (S1)            50   Base Damage            1- 2       18-22    40- 50
                                Base AR                 442       1,458     4,754
                                Attacks                   3           3         3
                                Level                    15          18        22
                                +% ED                    27          36        48
                                +% AR                   136         163       199
                                Damage                 2- 3       25-30    60- 74
                                AR                    1,043       3,834    14,214
    HOLY FREEZE           100   Level                     5           5         6
                                Speed                   -42         -42       -44
                                Radius (Yards)        6 2/3       6 2/3     7 1/3
                                Radial Cold Damage     6- 7        6- 7      7- 8
                                Attack Cold Damage    30-35       30-35     35-40

Smite isn't auto-hit, it can be blocked and its +% Enhanced Damage isn't applied; Jab damage has been rounded up to the nearest point after applying +% ED (although it's actually rounded down to the nearest bit, or 1/256 point).

If Duriel's AI parameters were ever altered to enable him to use Charge or 'att2' again, they would have the following stats:

Code:
    ATTACK        PARAMETER        DIFFICULTY LEVEL
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    CHARGE (A2)   Base Damage       19-22      51- 74   115-165
                  Stun (Seconds)      0.6         0.8       1.2        
                  Level                 5           8        12
                  +% ED               200         275       375
                  Damage            57-66     192-278   547-784

ATTACK (A2)   Base Damage       19-22      51- 74   115-165
                  Base AR             556       1,620     5,283
                  Stun (Seconds)      0.6         0.8       1.2

Charge damage has been rounded up to the nearest point after applying +% ED (although it would actually be rounded down to the nearest bit, or 1/256 point). When too close to use Charge, the A1 attack would be used. As with Claw Vipers and Reanimated Horde, Charge would be auto-hit and could not be blocked.

pharphis likes this.