Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Durance of Pain - FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Fan Creations: Art, Music, Wallpapers, Fiction' started by Delowyn, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

Durance of Pain - FINISHED!

The finished wallpaper, see my last post in this thread for details/description.

[​IMG]

Original post below
    ------------------
    This is a VERY early work in progress of my Durance of Pain.

Eventually, my Mistress of Pain is going to be battling it out with my Witch Doctor and a Warrior. There is also going to be a bit of story element to go along with the final image, to put it all into perspective.

[​IMG]

Wireframe view of the model:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

Re: Durance of Pain - work in progress

Love it already Delo, hope you had a good new years, cant wait for the final product of your 3d art wallpaper.

3. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

Update 2
    [​IMG]

4. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

/jawdrop, awesome and i love that nice little touch in yellow on the right middle side lol

5. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

Very nice! Loads of attention to detail in the new screeny. I like where you're going with the cobwebs idea, what with the mistress looking like a spider and everything.

This scene could make a really good movie as well, can you animate in the program you use?

6. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Wow, that's fricken awesome! You have done quite a lot of cool stuff, Delowyn. Ever considered making a DiabloWiki page to list them, like this one: Holyknight3000?

I'm the one who made HK make it, so he doesn't have delusions of grandeur or anything, but it's very handy to have an index of the to-be famous Diablo 3 fan artists =)

7. Paalt

Paalt IncGamers Member

You have some serious awesome texturing skill. They look awesome. If you still work on this, maybe you should work more with the lightning. I think the color of the lights you use makes the atmosphere too much white. And I could not figure what the blue light at the portal is...I guess you will visualize the portal effect, maybe in blue? Anyways, nice piece of art you made there.

8. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

@AkumaSlayer:
    Yes, the software can animate.

@Leord:
    That sounds like a neat idea. Maybe when I get one or two more walls done, I can look into how to do that.

@Paalt:
    Yes, the blue "mystery" light is being cast from the portal, which is not visualized yet. There is still lots more to do.

9. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

A new update on the project.

-overhauled the lava and added splattering
    -added lots of volume effects
    -replaced some textures, improved others (bloody floor, curtain dirtied up, new stone slab texture)
    -finally finished the geometry (lava sewer+grate)
    -added wrapped bodies, chains, bloody hooks
    -experimenting with final lighting and color grading

It's nearing completion. The portal effect is not done still. I output this iteration at its final resolution of 1920x1080 so I can see how everything holds up, so be warned the image below is huge.

[​IMG]

10. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

Real nice, finished project should be awesome. Out of curiosity, what program are you using? 3DX max?

11. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Man, that's absolutely positively awesome indeed =)

If you require any assistance with markup or design for a wiki page, just let me know, or ask HK, he should know by now ;)

Also, just remember it's a *wiki entry*, not a personal page, so besides a few quotes of your own language, it's to be very factual and informative. You could make a related page just as a very simple guide on how you did this one, or the mistress of pain for that matter =)

Regardless, keep up the good work! =D

12. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

@The Lord of Darkness
    I'm using Softimage XSI.

Thanks Leord. And if I go the wiki route, I'll keep that in mind.

13. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

Wow, there's a huge difference between the newest render and the render before it. All the little touches look awesome.

14. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Hehe, just saying, better if you do it than some other happy contributor who get things wrong. ;)

Everything of matter around Diablo and his community will end up there. HK have sure made an impact, and by the looks of it, so will you! You're gonna end up there whether you want it or not, lol ;)

Is this you btw?

15. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

@Leord
    Holy <expletive>! How did you find that? HAHA I TOTALLY forgot about that! Yes that is me, and those are mine! Those two pieces were done in Lightwave many, many years ago. Amazing find, thanks for reminding me. I'm sure I have the full size render of those somewhere here. In fact, I think I have the model geometry too. Hmm, might have to resurrect them! I also have a female barbarian floating around the internets somewhere too, on some Lightwave forum I've since forgotten.

I made a wiki entry, as recommended: Delowyn

16. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Hehe, I have my ways ;)

Anyway, use the built-in wiki bbcode of the forum for easy linkage to yours or any other wiki page. Just have [WIKI][/WIKI] around a word. If you "Go Advanced" when making a post, there is even a button for it (the Diablo head with a "W" on it).

I made a few updates on the page btw, only link-style and a minor typo. I also added stub for now. Should really do that to HK's page as well at some point, until all major pics are up.

Basically, it's a great reference if you ever post on a guild forum or anywhere else, just link the one page, with links to all pics etc.

You should add this thread there and any other related threads to your work...

Whenever you get the time, I might beat you to it ;) Obviously we'd rather see you do other cool 3D renderings!

If I can make a request, could you make a Fallen in D3-style? Not much art available for fallen, but Bashiok's animated avatar should be of some help...

17. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

I took a look at the Fallen. It might be just enough to go by, if you don't mind a lot of improvisation for the parts that are not visible or unclear. I was going to do Tyrael as my next major character project, but I think I can work this in for you, after I finish the Durance of Pain.

18. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Yey! That's so cool I was thinking we'd add that image to the image gallery of the Fallen article as well. I assume you'll be able to make a few different poses for it?

Oh, and we can make a new thread about it, for now, I'm still in awe of the durance of pain set =)

Oh, and I see you took to using DWiki BBCode =D

19. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

Yes, any pose you can think of. Thanks for the BBCode suggestion, it works great!

20. Delowyn

Delowyn IncGamers Member

Durance of Pain - FINISHED

It's done, complete, finished.

Mephisto had his Durance of Hate, and the Mistress of Pain has her Durance of Pain. Deep in its bowels, the Mistress's Cultists, using the blackest of magicks, have ripped a portal from Heaven. To what end, no one knows. What is known is that even now, the Heroes of Light battle the Mistress to close the portal for good.

==Widescreen 1920x1200==
    [​IMG]

==4:3 1600x1200==
    [​IMG]

I had more story element ideas to go along with it, but I'm too tired to flesh it out. No big deal really.

I had some problems towards the end when integrating everything into one scene. I crashed the software so many times, I've lost count. Vista stayed up and stable though. My computer won't talk to me for a good week after what I've put it through the past couple days, finishing this one up. I tracked the problem down to one rendering option I was using. It doesn't affect the render much, visually, so I toggled it off. For some reason it barfed all over with it on. Comically, it kept crashing with a failure to allocate 113GB (yes, gigabytes) of RAM. Interestingly, the Durance set itself renders fine with it on, but once the characters were imported.....splat. I ended up doing the render in several passes (durance, characters, shadows, mattes) and comping the pieces.

On the page with the widescreen version, I goofed up on the link to the 4:3 version. I can't find a way to edit the description, so maybe Leord can fix it? Thanks man.

Lastly, there is an easter egg in this wallpaper. Well, it's actually an error on my part, an inconsistency, but it's subtle and doesn't really affect it at all. Let's see who can find it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009