Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

duping in 1.10

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by buddhaman25, Feb 3, 2004.

1. buddhaman25

buddhaman25 IncGamers Member

duping in 1.10

long time plaier here and i was happy that alot of the duping stopped when 1.10 came out. i was surfing ebay at work today and noticed that there was a guy selling a duping program. before i resume trading again i would like to know if duping is comming back into style again. andif so is it being done on the closed realm.

2. iamapoorman

iamapoorman IncGamers Member

You are right about saying "a lot" of duping stopped. But there is still "some" duping in 1.10 (even in ladder) but my guesstimate is that 90% of duping in 1.10 are rune duping. A great majority of all high runes (BER up) circulating now are duped. I haven't heard of duped SOJs especially in ladder but who can really know for certain.

3. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

There have been something like 3 public dupe methods since the start of 1.10. Those are public, usually there are alot more private dupes in circulation. Runes were the biggest target, but I understood a couple of item dupes also existed. I only play ladder with close friends, every thing I have either me or my friends have found.

4. prophetsword

prophetsword IncGamers Member

My guess is that there are people who can/could dupe items on 1.10 ladder. This guess is based on what is for sale on ebay.

For example, I saw a single ebay seller selling multiple perfect mara's amulets. How likely is it that the same person would have four perfect mara's that he would receive and post for sale all at once? Now, this was probably a clumsy duper. I imagine most private dupers are much smarter and sell/trade their items one at a time.

5. Sopper

Sopper IncGamers Member

4 mara's and all being perfect is not any proof of duping, imo. ]
    I have found 3 perfect mara's on ladder.....

About the sojs... yes they are mass-duped. I have seen several people trading sojs with their whole inventory full of them.

6. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

You have to think about it. If the duping programs were really real, and you're one of the few people who know about it, why would you go spread the word? Why, you would dupe as many items as you can, THEN sell the items on Ebay for more $$.

So in short, that program the guy is selling is definately a virus/trojan/fake/Bull.

7. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

I've heard of a few scams where you click on a website and it infects your computer, probably with a trojan. Some of the stuff it allows is quite nasty, such as losing your account or items in inventory.

I agree that runes are the primary duplicated item, since they seem to be safe once they've been socketed (they make a new item, apparently).

I did a little investigating and found that most of the guys on Ebay with a lot of positive feedback are pretty easy to deal with. Cheaters of the game, but not of their customers at least.

I'll go ahead and confess, I couldn't resist plunking down $2 to get a Zod see what BotD actually looked like in a phase blade. I'll probably never actually use the item and I certainly would not trade it and thereby introduce yet another item of "suspect origins" into the realm, but for the price of a McRib I could at least satisfy my curiousity. The $2 is worth less to me than the time I would have invested in finding it (i.e. my whole life, statistically speaking) or in getting the items to trade for a rune that is probably duped in any case (I'd like to know if anyone has a documented Zod find).

Now, we need to get rid of those ridiculous 290's. They have replaced the SoJ, which at least had some use in making sockets, as the counterfeit money of 1.10.

8. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

No, the smart dupers flood the market with multiple items of the same quality and run specials on combinations. You have to understand, they don't CARE if you think they are duplicating (you'd have to be a fool to think they are not). Would YOU sell a Zod rune for $2? Considering it would take several million kills of some of the toughest creatures on the game to have a statistical chance of getting it?

It's all about moving the product. I had a conversation with some people on b net the other day and I was amazed. There are some people on there that actually believe these guys don't duplicate, but pay people to play the game and attain items for them.

I tried to explain that if I owned a business whose supply was based upon a .00000001 chance of getting the product I advertised, I would be either on welfare or in court next to Ken Lay.

Of course once I trotted out the big words and lectured on the mechanics of business, howls and jeers about me being smart for a 12 year old ensued (I'm 28 and about to finish my Masters), I pretty much gave up.

It stunned me the utter ignorance that people display. No wonder con men have a field day on there.

What I think is funny is that it is likely that many of the dupes on ebay are copies of one another. So what you have are copies of copies. This supports the point that the pro dupers are not interested in letting you in on their secret. Competition benefits the consumer, not the supplier.

9. lenman

lenman IncGamers Member

absolutley most runes are duped. I'm on hc ladder and have traded for alot of runes. I use enigma, hoto , and cta. Im sure these runes are duped but I dont care at this point. It would be impossible to trade for a legit rune unless you knew the person well.

In a pit run the other day my friend ( from outside the game who I know very well) found a ber rune. he called me on the phone right away and we talked about how all he could do was throw it on the same mule that held all the other runes he traded for.

to be honest if I had my way I wish that no runes were duped. but now that they are I am not going to hide in a closet and not trade for them just because I can get them for a lot cheaper now. also just found a clean ethereal berzerker axe and intend to trade it for 4-6 high level runes, however they came about .

10. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

to be honest if I had my way I wish that no runes were duped. but now that they are I am not going to hide in a closet and not trade for them just because I can get them for a lot cheaper now. also just found a clean ethereal berzerker axe and intend to trade it for 4-6 high level runes, however they came about .[/QUOTE]

I think the majority of people are in agreement here. You really don't KNOW where or how it came about, so getting pretty much anything in a trade is an exercise of faith.

The duped runes are out there and a lot of people use them, knowingly or not. As I said before, I find rune duping to be the least harmful, since they are probably going to get used and won't disappear like items can.

I also would love to see the whole thing resolved, but it will never totally go away. There are much larger fish to fry, like scams and hackers. Most duping just makes the game easier, which is at least providing some enjoyment for the customer if they choose to go that route.